• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

VTWC First Class question

Status
Not open for further replies.

anti-pacer

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2013
Messages
2,312
Location
Liverpool
Can anyone tell me what, if any refreshments/meals I am likely to get on the 70 minute journey from Carlisle to Glasgow, on Virgin? It would be a midday/early afternoon train.

Thanks in advance.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,892
Location
Cambridge
Can anyone tell me what, if any refreshments/meals I am likely to get on the 70 minute journey from Carlisle to Glasgow, on Virgin? It would be a midday/early afternoon train.

Thanks in advance.
Of course, I did London to Glasgow only Wednesday so Ive seen first hand :)

They offer bacon rolls and the soup of the day between about 10am and midday. Then after that it’s a choice of two sandwiches/wraps or greens and grains salad. Served with crisps and followed by farmhouse fruit cake or chocolate cookie bites.

If it is a breakfast train all the information is on my thread below ;)

The trolley does pass through with pretzels and drinks, when it does tell the crew you got on at Carlisle and they will oblige probably

Enjoy your trip
Z :)
 

roversfan2001

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2016
Messages
1,666
Location
Lancashire
You'll almost certainly get drinks/snacks (crisps, chocolate etc.). You might get a sandwich though that's not as likely.
 

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,735
Location
West Riding
I believe you would get the full service including a sandwich and a beer too. The northern crews have always been pretty liberal and not been bothered about how far a passenger is travelling like on VTEC.
 

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,892
Location
Cambridge
I believe you would get the full service including a sandwich and a beer too. The northern crews have always been pretty liberal and not been bothered about how far a passenger is travelling like on VTEC.
That’s interesting, I got far better service with the London-Preston crew than the Preston-Glasgow crew in both directions!
 

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,735
Location
West Riding
That’s interesting, I got far better service with the London-Preston crew than the Preston-Glasgow crew in both directions!

There are of course a number of variable factors when it comes to service quality. It still could have been a Northern crew on the southern leg or vice versa, it's not set in stone.
 

MG11

Member
Joined
4 Nov 2017
Messages
638
Can anyone tell me what, if any refreshments/meals I am likely to get on the 70 minute journey from Carlisle to Glasgow, on Virgin? It would be a midday/early afternoon train.

Thanks in advance.
Are you travelling during the week?
The website states, regarding journey times
Just a quickie? If you’re making a short trip we may not have the full First Class catering service available for you.
I would class 70 minutes as being outside of a "quickie", so, I would expect you to receive the long-distance offering. If you are travelling during the week, you are likely to be offered a sandwich (vegetarian option available), a tzatziki salad, cous cous or chips & salsa. You will also be offered fruit or cake. The full offering may not be available though, as some products may be out of stock by the time the train reaches Carlisle. On a weekend, you will be offered snacks and refreshments, you can purchase something more substantial from The Shop, if you wish.
 

AndrewE

Established Member
Joined
9 Nov 2015
Messages
7,365
You need to watch out for (and personally I avoid if possible) the Voyagers working some of the Class 9 Glasgow trains - unless that's your sort of thing! RealTime Trains is essential reading before such a journey...
(also don't sit under the pantograph if you can avoid it, I find the repeated operation of the circuit breakers at every neutral section very intrusive.)
 

MG11

Member
Joined
4 Nov 2017
Messages
638
You need to watch out for (and personally I avoid if possible) the Voyagers working some of the Class 9 Glasgow trains! RealTime Trains is essential reading before such a journey...
The First Class service is the same for the time of day the OP is travelling, on both Pendolinos and Voyagers.
 

AndrewE

Established Member
Joined
9 Nov 2015
Messages
7,365
I'd be surprised if it was (given the difference between Voyager and Pendolino breakfasts) but the ambience certainly won't be the same!
 

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,892
Location
Cambridge
Don’t know whether this helps or not but the sandwiches options were Egg and Cress Sandwiches or Chicken Tarragon Wraps yesterday.
 

anti-pacer

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2013
Messages
2,312
Location
Liverpool
Don’t know whether this helps or not but the sandwiches options were Egg and Cress Sandwiches or Chicken Tarragon Wraps yesterday.

Just out of interest, during your end-to-end journey of London to Glasgow, how many times were you offered food?

I know on VTEC from Wakefield to London it's just the once, but the journey time is half of what London to Glasgow is.
 

AndrewE

Established Member
Joined
9 Nov 2015
Messages
7,365
I think the train we're going for is the 1248 next Friday.
That's a Class 1 train, so it's a Pendolino. Hope the weather is good for you, the trip over Beattock and down the upper Clyde valley is one of my favourite runs.
 

Chrism20

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
1,400
Can’t answer for Glasgow but on the Edinburgh’s they usually do a full run through after Carlisle.
 

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,892
Location
Cambridge
Just out of interest, during your end-to-end journey of London to Glasgow, how many times were you offered food?

I know on VTEC from Wakefield to London it's just the once, but the journey time is half of what London to Glasgow is.
Quite a few times. Main dishes leaving London, Wolverhampton and Preston. Snacks given out after Carlisle. You can read more about it on my thread :)
 

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
30 Jun 2005
Messages
8,885
Location
Rugby
That's a Class 1 train, so it's a Pendolino. Hope the weather is good for you, the trip over Beattock and down the upper Clyde valley is one of my favourite runs.

You do know the class 9 (via the West Midlands) are mostly operated by Pendolinos with some Voyagers.
 

MG11

Member
Joined
4 Nov 2017
Messages
638
Quite a few times. Main dishes leaving London, Wolverhampton and Preston. Snacks given out after Carlisle. You can read more about it on my thread :)
So you had three main meals in one journey?
 

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,892
Location
Cambridge
So you had three main meals in one journey?
Well, they tried to give me four but I declined!

They gave me Eggs Benedict leaving London. Fresh fruit salad leaving Wolverhampton. Bacon Roll and Soup leaving Preston. :)
 

roversfan2001

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2016
Messages
1,666
Location
Lancashire
The First Class service is the same for the time of day the OP is travelling, on both Pendolinos and Voyagers.
Indeed it is, but the smaller kitchen on the Voyagers means that there will be less stock on board and therefore it could run out before Carlisle. Not to mention the obvious disadvantages a Voyager has over a Pendolino in terms of passenger comfort.
 

AndrewE

Established Member
Joined
9 Nov 2015
Messages
7,365
You do know the class 9 (via the West Midlands) are mostly operated by Pendolinos with some Voyagers.
I do. I was on a Voyager on Tuesday though. An earlier post wasn't specific about which train was being taken between Carlisle and Glasgow, so I warned that some of those were Voyagers. Then a specific train was mentioned and I said "That one's OK, it's a class 1 so you [definitely] won't get a Voyager." I didn't say all the class 9s were Voyagers.
What's the problem?
 

TheAdelante

Member
Joined
14 Nov 2017
Messages
269
Can anyone tell me what, if any refreshments/meals I am likely to get on the 70 minute journey from Carlisle to Glasgow, on Virgin? It would be a midday/early afternoon train.

Thanks in advance.
I went in first with VT this week, when I went they didnt come round with food orders after carlisle, but they did offer snacks and drinks. However on the way home they did offer sandwiches, wraps, crisps and cake before Carlisle :)
 

GusB

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
8,180
Location
Elginshire
Well, they tried to give me four but I declined!

They gave me Eggs Benedict leaving London. Fresh fruit salad leaving Wolverhampton. Bacon Roll and Soup leaving Preston. :)
And people wonder why the food runs out by the time the train gets to Carlisle...
 

roversfan2001

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2016
Messages
1,666
Location
Lancashire
And people wonder why the food runs out by the time the train gets to Carlisle...
To be fair that train was one that crossed between breakfast and lunch, and probably got restocked at Birmingham/Wolverhampton and definitely at Preston.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top