• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

VTEC delay in delay repay and advice as i think I've submitted my claim incorrectly

Status
Not open for further replies.

LUKAnorthwest

Member
Joined
6 Sep 2012
Messages
38
Hi Everyone,

Firstly, I searched the forum for a similar post and got nothing so i apologise if i have missed it.

VTEC are currently experiencing delays in paying delay repay compensation due to what they call a troublesome time on the network. i called on the 7th october to check my progress and the automated message said that they were dealing with claims from the 22nd september. i called again today (13th) and the automated message is now saying 24th september.

is the situation really that bad that they have such a delay?



OK, onto the advice i need. i shall start by explaining what happened


My full trip was Edinburgh to Flowery Field (Greater Manchester), I traveled on the 1830 VTEC service from EDB-YRK on the 30th September. we arrived in dunbar 7 mins late and 2 mins after leaving the station, the train was held for 53 minutes due to signal failure - thats what caused the delay

I got to YRK at 2206 missing my onward connection to MAN meaning i had to get the 2230. I then arrived at MAN at 0002 with no connections to my final destination of FLF. (no trains or buses)

I had already discussed with the VTEC guard about my connections and he told me to ask for a taxi home. which is another story all together which i will explain if you would like as it was atrocious.

So to round this up, I arrived at home at 0110 meaning that i was delayed by 90 minutes as i was supposed to arrive at FLF at 2340. when i submitted my claim i had said 88 minutes as i live 2 minutes from the station and passed the station at 0108 in the taxi on the way home.


Now i have a few questions that i would like some help with.

i was already told that my delay repay would be paid for the full journey to my final destination by rail. the technical part that i need clarifying is that my final leg of the journey from MAN - FLF is covered with a national concessionary pass. so i ask:

in this case, as i would of used my concessionary pass on the final leg, is my final destination MAN or FLF?

as i haven't submitted a photocopy of my pass (i have submitted the copies of my tickets and railcard) do i ring up now and fix this or do i wait until they are caught up with the date of my journey?

I've tried to make myself clear but i often struggle so i apologise if its unclear

thanks for your help
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

185143

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2013
Messages
5,367
I would say that, assuming the railway paid for your taxi to Flowery Field, that can be considered your actual destination.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,484
Location
Yorkshire
in this case, as i would of used my concessionary pass on the final leg, is my final destination MAN or FLF?
You may use two or more tickets for one journey, so your destination is Flowery Field.

(For future reference it may be worth checking to see if the fare is the same - it may well be - as if it is, it may be easier to do that to avoid any potential confusion in future. However I don't believe it makes any material difference).
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,830
You may use two or more tickets for one journey, so your destination is Flowery Field.

(For future reference it may be worth checking to see if the fare is the same - it may well be - as if it is, it may be easier to do that to avoid any potential confusion in future. However I don't believe it makes any material difference).

Although as Flowery Field does not have through fares on the East Coast route to Edinburgh, that may not be possible.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,484
Location
Yorkshire
That's a good point. Sometimes "split ticketing" is not done for the obvious reason of saving money (whether that be to make use of an existing ticket/pass or not) but out of necessity because there is no through fare to cover the desired journey.
 

greatkingrat

Established Member
Joined
20 Jan 2011
Messages
3,312
You may use two or more tickets for one journey, so your destination is Flowery Field.

(For future reference it may be worth checking to see if the fare is the same - it may well be - as if it is, it may be easier to do that to avoid any potential confusion in future. However I don't believe it makes any material difference).

If he had bought split tickets then I would agree, however I'm not sure it is that clear cut if you are using a free pass for part of the journey.

I think Virgin would be within their rights to base the compensation on the arrival time at Piccadilly as this is the only part of the journey for which a ticket was purchased.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,468
How late were you arriving Manchester? If over 60 minutes then inclusion of the Manchester - Flowery Field leg is pointless and only serves to complicate matters.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,484
Location
Yorkshire
It does seem a pointless discussion, as I've just had a look and I believe the scheduled arrival time would have been 2305, so the delay was over 60 minutes. There is no point mentioning Flowery Field.
 

LUKAnorthwest

Member
Joined
6 Sep 2012
Messages
38
It does seem a pointless discussion, as I've just had a look and I believe the scheduled arrival time would have been 2305, so the delay was over 60 minutes. There is no point mentioning Flowery Field.

i arrived at MAN at 0002 which was 57 minutes late. i have seen around on places like money saving expert that they have been known to be liberal in honouring a couple of minutes.

thanks for your replies everyone.

a little off topic but is there normally a struggle arranging taxis? it took them 40-45 minutes to arrange one, 25 of those minutes was trying to authorise it
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,630
Location
Isle of Man
i arrived at MAN at 0002 which was 57 minutes late. i have seen around on places like money saving expert that they have been known to be liberal in honouring a couple of minutes.

They are much less liberal now the vouchers entitle you to cold hard cash. Include Flowery Field.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top