• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

VTEC advance tickets - Stirling to Newcastle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessicas Dad

Member
Joined
1 Mar 2015
Messages
52
Hi all,

Relative newbie so apologies if this is in the wrong place.

Looking at booking a trip to Newcastle (from Stirling) for work on the 23rd of Feb, so thought I would take advantage of the new direct service (05.24 out of Stirling in the morning and just after 8pm return).

When trying to book tickets online, it doesn't offer me the advance tickets, only anytime singles or returns.

This means that I currently have the choice of either going direct at 05.24 for £60.50 (single) or using the 05.30 to Edinburgh and changing there for £11

It seems daft that VTEC wouldn't try and encourage passengers to use a new service, so am I doing something wrong, or advance tickets just not available for this service?

Thanks

Ross
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Romilly

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2013
Messages
1,712
I too am having difficulty finding Advances that include the Edinburgh/Stirling mileage on the new through trains.

But, if you book through the Superfly special offer link on the front page of the Virgin Trains East Coast website, you can get the Edinburgh/Newcastle mileage on those through trains for £5 each way, plus £14.80 for a Stirling-Edinburgh anytime day return. But to get those superfly £5 fares, you need to book through that link and before they sell out (and by 9pm on 8th January at the latest).
 

Jessicas Dad

Member
Joined
1 Mar 2015
Messages
52
I too am having difficulty finding Advances that include the Edinburgh/Stirling mileage on the new through trains.

But, if you book through the Superfly special offer link on the front page of the Virgin Trains East Coast website, you can get the Edinburgh/Newcastle mileage on those through trains for £5 each way, plus £14.80 for a Stirling-Edinburgh anytime day return. But to get those superfly £5 fares, you need to book through that link and before they sell out (and by 9pm on 8th January at the latest).

Thanks for the info, and if I could I'd love to take those fares:D

The only problem is I need to be in Newcastle for around 08.30 (to get out to the Sage offices for 09.30) and won't be able to leave until around 16:00 - 16:30 and the £5 fares aren't valid for any of those trains:(

I've emailed VTEC to see what they say, but got an automated message back saying it could be up to 14 days before they respond so thought I'd ask the experts in here as well.....

Ross
 

Romilly

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2013
Messages
1,712
and if I could I'd love to take those fares

There is a £5 fare on the Edinburgh-Newcastle portion of the VTEC train that leaves Stirling at 0524 (leaves Edinburgh 0626 and arrives Newcastle 0755).

And there is a £5 fare on the Newcastle-Edinburgh portion of the VTEC train that leaves Newcastle at 1753 and goes through to Stirling.

You just need to buy a Stirling-Edinburgh day return in addition to cover the Stirling/Edinburgh portions of the journeys.

But you will only see the £5 fares if you book by clicking on the special-offer link on the front page of the VTEC website.
 
Last edited:

James Wake

Member
Joined
30 Aug 2013
Messages
962
You need to do that "split ticket" quickly in order to take advantage of the £5 deal. Splitting tickets is perfectly legal as long as your train stops at the split point, in this case Edinburgh Waverley.
 

Jessicas Dad

Member
Joined
1 Mar 2015
Messages
52
There is an advance on the 5:24, but only from Edinburgh depart 6:26 for £10.10 so you just need to split ticket

Now why didn't I think of that!

Cheers - that's it all booked for a total of £35 and I'm on the direct train throughout :)

Even managed to reserve the same seats for the Stirling -> Edinburgh and return legs as those for the Edinburgh -> Newcastle and return so don't have to move at Edinburgh.

Thanks

Ross
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There is a £5 fare on the Edinburgh-Newcastle portion of the VTEC train that leaves Stirling at 0524 (leaves Edinburgh 0626 and arrives Newcastle 0755).

And there is a £5 fare on the Newcastle-Edinburgh portion of the VTEC train that leaves Newcastle at 1753 and goes through to Stirling.

You just need to buy a Stirling-Edinburgh day return in addition to cover the Stirling/Edinburgh portions of the journeys.

But you will only see the £5 fares if you book by clicking on the special-offer link on the front page of the VTEC website.

Thanks - I'd put in 'Before 09:00' arrival in Newcastle which didn't initially show the 07:55 arrival and didn't think to scroll up. The same with the departure - I picked too early a departure time and didn't realise I should scroll down so missed the £5 fares!

Still - got them both for £10.10 each so it's not a *huge* difference.

Thanks for the help.

Ross
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top