• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

VT East Coast extended booking window ticket delivery options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,129
Location
Redcar
I was recently booking some tickets on VTEC using their extending booking window. The only options I was offered to get my tickets delivered to me was either 1st class post for £1 or Print@Home. I'm sure previously you could also opt to collect them from a station TVM.

Am I correct that you used to be able to do this and if so does anyone know why the policy change?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,862
Location
West of Andover
Try adding another ticket to your order which can't be Print@Home, to see if the delivery fee is removed (just in case it is like the XC website)

Although the last couple times I've used the extended booking horizon I've been given the option to collect
 

Romilly

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2013
Messages
1,712
I have always found that adding a ticket within the 12-week window then gives the option of collection from a ticket machine, and that that option does not disappear when that ticket is then removed from the basket.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,129
Location
Redcar
Ah I wonder if that's what's been happening I've been booking something in the extended booking window and something not in the window. Seems a bit mean to add that restriction however!
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,539
Location
Yorkshire
Ah I wonder if that's what's been happening I've been booking something in the extended booking window and something not in the window. Seems a bit mean to add that restriction however!
Indeed. It's got to be just a bug, I hope! Perhaps they will fix it too?

Two more bugs: the seat selector doesn't work if you have 9 people in your party (it loads but you can't use it!) and it won't appear at all if you have a cycle reservation!
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,832
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Are there dedicated seats for cyclists on East Coast like there are on Pendolinos? It's the 2 or 4 seats (seems to vary) nearest the van in coach A on the non-priority side.
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,646
Location
Isle of Man
Are there dedicated seats for cyclists on East Coast like there are on Pendolinos?

No, the bikes go in the DVT, which is next to first class.

It's just a buggy website.

I've never been able to collect from a TVM in the extended booking horizon. Interesting that the OP could!
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,539
Location
Yorkshire
Are there dedicated seats for cyclists on East Coast like there are on Pendolinos? It's the 2 or 4 seats (seems to vary) nearest the van in coach A on the non-priority side.
No; it's literally the graphical seat selector that does not work. You can still specify preferences in the usual way, but if you don't quite get the seat you want, you are unable to change it manually.
 

londonbridge

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2010
Messages
1,896
I have always found that adding a ticket within the 12-week window then gives the option of collection from a ticket machine, and that that option does not disappear when that ticket is then removed from the basket.

I've used the extended window a couple of times, both times I did print-at-home, I'll have to try and remember this tip next time I use it (the extended window). Thanks for the heads up.
 

FQTV

Member
Joined
27 Apr 2012
Messages
1,067
No; it's literally the graphical seat selector that does not work. You can still specify preferences in the usual way, but if you don't quite get the seat you want, you are unable to change it manually.

When I change seats, I have to repeat the process for a second time to get the new allocations to 'stick'. And, when I log in, it insists on pre-populating the search box with a 2GETH railcard.

I have no idea whether this is a common or an isolated issue.
 

Romilly

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2013
Messages
1,712
When I change seats, I have to repeat the process for a second time to get the new allocations to 'stick'. .... I have no idea whether this is a common or an isolated issue.

That does seem to happen quite often - indeed, I am so used to it happening now that I can't recall whether or not it now always happens.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,539
Location
Yorkshire
When I change seats, I have to repeat the process for a second time to get the new allocations to 'stick'.
Yes, that bug happens randomly.
And, when I log in, it insists on pre-populating the search box with a 2GETH railcard.
Yes, I get the same with a Senior Railcard.
I have no idea whether this is a common or an isolated issue.
Neither are isolated issues.
 

hangus78

Member
Joined
8 Aug 2013
Messages
52
I've never seen railcards defaulting myself. Have you inadvertently saved it as a account preference at some point? If you log in and go to MyAccount and look in the Favourites section you can set or remove a default railcard
 

lightbulb

Member
Joined
15 May 2010
Messages
452
I was recently booking some tickets on VTEC using their extending booking window. The only options I was offered to get my tickets delivered to me was either 1st class post for £1 or Print@Home. I'm sure previously you could also opt to collect them from a station TVM.

Am I correct that you used to be able to do this and if so does anyone know why the policy change?

I had this problem too, and rang Customer Services, who offered to refund the 1st class postage in the form of RTVs.
 

james-martin

Member
Joined
15 Jul 2013
Messages
86
Location
Sheffield
If there is no free option does this cause any issues for advertising, ie when you advertise a price there must be a method of purchase which adds no additional fees (so that the price is as stated)? I've not looked at the advertising etc, it is simply the first thought that crossed my mind when seeing this.
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,774
Location
Yorkshire
If there is no free option does this cause any issues for advertising, ie when you advertise a price there must be a method of purchase which adds no additional fees (so that the price is as stated)? I've not looked at the advertising etc, it is simply the first thought that crossed my mind when seeing this.

There is a free option - Print at home.
 

westv

Established Member
Joined
29 Mar 2013
Messages
4,411
I see the extended horizons now apply to nearly
all VTEC weekday services


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Oh yes. On the Executive too - although there's no real benefit for me at the moment as the price in 6 months is the same as in 3.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top