• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

VT and LM walk up fares

Status
Not open for further replies.

danfitz123

Member
Joined
28 Feb 2010
Messages
216
Location
Some Place Called Halewood
Hi,

I have just been on the London midland site to see the difference between their walk up fares between Liverpool and London. My issue is that they both came up as the same price :roll:. When I searched for the london midland tickets I routed the journey via Alsager so its definitely not that its giving me VT's prices on both searches. Stupid Privatization!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pumbaa

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2008
Messages
5,022
You need to select 'London Midland only' on further options.
 

Pumbaa

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2008
Messages
5,022
When its showing you the fares, navigate to the left side of the screen > show other routes > Valid on London Midland trains only.
 

RJ

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2005
Messages
8,824
Location
Back office
Hi,

I have just been on the London midland site to see the difference between their walk up fares between Liverpool and London. My issue is that they both came up as the same price :roll:. When I searched for the london midland tickets I routed the journey via Alsager so its definitely not that its giving me VT's prices on both searches. Stupid Privatization!

Selecting a "via" point shows all trains that are scheduled to pass through that location, whether or not they stop there.

 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,428
Location
Yorkshire
... if the booking software is aware that the train passes that station, e.g. if it's a timing point.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,428
Location
Yorkshire
Yes but VT do not go past alsager on the way. :|
So it will put you on LM until Stafford. But between Stafford and London it will be quicker to change onto VT, so it'll suggest that.
Stupid Privatization!
You could protest against privatisation by boycotting TOC-specific products and only buying Any Permitted (or other, route specific inter-available) tickets....
 

OwlMan

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2008
Messages
3,206
Yes but VT do not go past alsager on the way. :|
But there is not a "Virgin Trains" Fare.

There are "Any Permitted" fare which is valid on all operators and a "L M Only" fare which is valid on LM only.
The quickest routes via Alsager are using VT to Stoke and then using connections via Crewenot by using the LM trains from Euston.

Peter
 

andyfrommk

Member
Joined
12 Jan 2011
Messages
202
I have just been on the London midland site to see the difference between their walk up fares between Liverpool and London. My issue is that they both came up as the same price :roll:.
I've heard that LM set the price between Euston and Rugby, and VT have to charge that price as well which they do through LondonMidland.com but not on their website.

So its £14 return on both VT and LM between MKC and EUS on londonmidland.com but £13 single on virgintrains.com
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
London Terminals to Milton Keynes C or v/v is £13 for off-peak day single VIRGIN TRNSONLY or ANY PERMITTED and £14 for off-peak day return either VIRGIN TRNSONLY or LDN MIDLAND ONLY irrespective of where you buy it (thetrainline and raileasy excepted; they will be more). The off-peak day return route ANY PERMITTED is £20.50.

Restrictions on the VIRGIN TRNSONLY tickets are slightly different from the others.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,428
Location
Yorkshire
I've heard that LM set the price between Euston and Rugby, and VT have to charge that price as well which they do through LondonMidland.com but not on their website.
There is a lot of confusion in that post.

The London to Rugby 'Any Permitted' flow is set by Virgin Trains.

The London to MKC 'Any Permitted' flow is set by LM.

Strangely, there is a LM only CDR from London to MKC (the same price as a VT only). I can only assume they have special permission to offer this fare, as normally walk-on TOC-specific fares can not be set by the TOC that sets the inter-available fare.
 

andyfrommk

Member
Joined
12 Jan 2011
Messages
202
There is a lot of confusion in that post.

The London to Rugby 'Any Permitted' flow is set by Virgin Trains.

The London to MKC 'Any Permitted' flow is set by LM.

Strangely, there is a LM only CDR from London to MKC (the same price as a VT only). I can only assume they have special permission to offer this fare, as normally walk-on TOC-specific fares can not be set by the TOC that sets the inter-available fare.

Thanks for the clarification yorkie,
my post should have begun "I think I've heard.."
My friends don't believe me when I say "to get a cheap ticket on virgin trains book through londonmidland.com"
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top