Bletchleyite
Veteran Member
They also really could have done with replacing the reservation system, costly though it might be, because it's so incredibly unreliable. There wasn't the same imperative on Pendolinos as it usually works.
I think this may be down to the individual TM/Drivers on your route and how they set them up, I travel on these atleast twice a week and can't remember the last time they weren't working. In my experience, they're probably up there with the most reliable systems in use on the network.
I don't agree. The issue is, as I've observed it (mainly on the Avanti units, I'll give you, I avoid XC whenever possible as it's grim), that when the unit decides to "load shed" (e.g. due to an engine out or other electrical failure) the reservation screens seem to go first, along with the spots and half the ceiling lights. Thus I find it has in my experience worked maybe 75% of the time at best.
The issue isn't the reservations not being loaded, it's the unit turning the screens off completely, often only in one or two coaches.
Has XC perhaps done some work to reduce the instance of this "load shedding"?