• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Voting for our Railway Preservation donation

Which project should the forum support?

  • Broadway Station Appeal

    Votes: 11 6.4%
  • Chinnor and Princes Risborough's D5581 Appeal

    Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Dean Forest Railway's Griffithstown Project

    Votes: 11 6.4%
  • Friends of the 502's Steel Appeal

    Votes: 11 6.4%
  • Great Central Railway's Bridge to the Future Appeal

    Votes: 29 16.8%
  • Ivatt Diesel Recreation Society

    Votes: 7 4.0%
  • NVR's Night Mail Project

    Votes: 6 3.5%
  • Poulton and Wyre Railway's Rolling Stock Fund Appeal

    Votes: 8 4.6%
  • Project Commuter

    Votes: 7 4.0%
  • Project LYN

    Votes: 4 2.3%
  • RPSI's 131 Back on the Mainline Appeal

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Strathspey Railway's Rails to Grantown Appeal

    Votes: 11 6.4%
  • Swanage TC group

    Votes: 9 5.2%
  • Swindon Panel Society

    Votes: 31 17.9%
  • Unrefurbishment of CEP 7105

    Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Vale of Berkley Railway

    Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Yorkshire Wolds Railway's Treble the Track appeal

    Votes: 7 4.0%
  • 82045 Steam Locomotive Trust's Boiler Appeal

    Votes: 7 4.0%

  • Total voters
    173
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

IanD

Established Member
Joined
18 Sep 2011
Messages
2,783
Location
Newport Pagnell
I know very well what it is and what they are preserving, I just do not think it is "revolutionary".

Again that is YOUR opinion but clearly not one that is held by other members.

Speak for yourself. I can't seem to muster any enthusiaism for this project whatsoever. Destined to end up in a dusty shed at Didcot visited only on days of precipitation - or by people looking for the loos. Again, just MY opinion.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trainfan344

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2012
Messages
2,305
Again that is YOUR opinion but clearly not one that is held by other members. And I fail to see how the North / South thing makes any difference.

Because as well all know, All the money has to stay in the south. :roll: :lol:

Nice to see Swindon winning the money.

Slightly disappointed with GCR - but only because it won last time. Still a worthy winner!
 

class175

Member
Joined
18 Aug 2010
Messages
10
Location
Oxfordshire
Well done to Swindon Panel

As an aside: for those of you who feel so negatively: why not go and volunteer for the project/projects you wanted to win, or alternatively offer to set up a standing order/direct debit donation? Thought so, there's always next year where your cause can win funds raised though here, or by another appropriate method.
 

IanD

Established Member
Joined
18 Sep 2011
Messages
2,783
Location
Newport Pagnell
As an aside: for those of you who feel so negatively: why not go and volunteer for the project/projects you wanted to win, or alternatively offer to set up a standing order/direct debit donation?

Perhaps we already do.
 

krus_aragon

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2009
Messages
6,105
Location
North Wales
My vote was for the Swindon panel, as it was the last time as well. My motivations were a personal interest in signalling technology, and a feeling that Swindon's technology represents an easily overlooked era preservation-wise, much like diesel & electric preservation are overshadowed by steam.

I thank the forum management for holding this poll and offering this donation. I hope they will be able to release detailed results of the poll, as I recall they did last time.

Finally, for those expressing surprise or disapproval at the results of the poll, may I remind you that Swindon was the runner up last time? I doubt Peter Snow's swingometer would be in much of a flap about it.
 

Nippy

Member
Joined
13 Aug 2013
Messages
740
Well done Danners and the Swindon Panel team. It would be interesting to see the vote.
 

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
6,615
As per last year we will be making the details available, although there will be a short delay whilst the technical aspects of this are carried out.
 

MarkyT

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2012
Messages
7,586
Location
Torbay
I'm very glad Swindon won. I designed many alterations to this type of panel when I was in the Reading signalling drawing office back in the 1980s. Not Swindon itself but similar installations in South Wales which are also being replaced very quickly now by new VDU control centres. One of these Henry Williams panels will now survive and the simulator project will bring it to life. It is a very innovative project and the hard work already put in by the members is outstanding. It will be displayed in the new building at Didcot alongside other historical signalling artifacts to give it context and a story, and I expect it will become a popular exhibit. As to the north/south debate, a northern society could have proposed a similar panel preservation project but the fact is Swindon is the only one as far as I know, so I don't think it's a N/S thing at all. Panel Signal Boxes are disappearing fast all around the country and I think many engineering and operating staff whose entire careers may have revolved around this technology want to see at least one preserved. They have spoken through this vote, and as a member myself, I want to thank them all warmly.
 

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
6,615
As per last year we will be making the details available, although there will be a short delay whilst the technical aspects of this are carried out.

You should find the poll results are now displayed at the top of this thread.
 

backontrack

Established Member
Joined
2 Feb 2014
Messages
6,399
Location
The UK
Congratulations to the Swindon Panel Society. Although I would not have voted for them and I would have preferred the money to go to Fimber or Grantown, in the end they've one it fairly, so good luck to them. :smile:

As for the Grand Central one, we had that last year!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Speak for yourself. I can't seem to muster any enthusiaism for this project whatsoever. Destined to end up in a dusty shed at Didcot visited only on days of precipitation - or by people looking for the loos. Again, just MY opinion.

I agree with this. If the money went to Grantown then there would be a big boost for tourism and possibly commuting as well. It would certainly be more noticeable.
 

krus_aragon

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2009
Messages
6,105
Location
North Wales
Given that the top two from the last poll have also topped this one, it does raise a question for forum staff if (when!) finances allow another donation to be made. Do we want to share the wealth around other projects in the future, or continue contributing to those projects that have strong continued support on the forum?
 
Last edited:

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
6,615
Given that the top two from the last poll have also topped this one, it does raise a question for forum staff if (when!) finances allow another donation to be made. Do we want to share the wealth around other projects in the future, or continue contributing to those projects that have strong continued support on the forum?

You do indeed raise an interesting question. I would welcome views on this (perhaps by PM) as should we be in a position to make a further donation it would be good to have an understanding of the views of our members.
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
It was quite a difficulkt chpice as many of the projects were boarding on the wibbletastic end of the spectrum. Although £1000 for one of them might let them create a professional website and increase funding!

I went for the GC bridge. Again. Mainly because I think it is great project with proper professional backing and expertise. I would be open to it being excluded in future if it meant the money could go elsewhere.

Perhaps have, say the £1000 to go to a certain class of small/start up/little known projects to obtain maximum bang for buck and £500 to a bigger project. I would want them to be serious projects though!
 

Ironside

Member
Joined
16 Aug 2012
Messages
418
Well done to the winning bids, and hope the extra exposure can help the other bids.
 

backontrack

Established Member
Joined
2 Feb 2014
Messages
6,399
Location
The UK
Well done to the winning bids, and hope the extra exposure can help the other bids.

Good point. Although we're not that well known...

Mind you, we're certainly the biggest transport forum in existence though, which is saying something!

Anyway, I made a map with all the results on it, mapped out, as HMS Ark Royal requested. Sorry about how messy my writing is, but I was using my cursor (not a touchscreen device). I used Photoshop for this map.

KEY:

Red dots/lines/pacer (couldn't be located) - disqualified projects
Blue dots - losing projects
Orange dot - 2nd place project (£500 donation)
Green dot - 1st place project (£1000 donation)

2000px-United_Kingdom_location_map.svg.jpg
 

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Joined
2 Sep 2015
Messages
2,798
Location
Hull
Good point. Although we're not that well known...

Mind you, we're certainly the biggest transport forum in existence though, which is saying something!

Anyway, I made a map with all the results on it, mapped out, as HMS Ark Royal requested. Sorry about how messy my writing is, but I was using my cursor (not a touchscreen device). I used Photoshop for this map.

KEY:

Red dots/lines/pacer (couldn't be located) - disqualified projects
Blue dots - losing projects
Orange dot - 2nd place project (£500 donation)
Green dot - 1st place project (£1000 donation)

View attachment 24866

Interesting to note that First and Second were both located down south
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
So Manchester and Liverpool are in the south?
 

HowardGWR

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2013
Messages
4,981
You do indeed raise an interesting question. I would welcome views on this (perhaps by PM) as should we be in a position to make a further donation it would be good to have an understanding of the views of our members.

The choices were that of the forum. If you wanted it to be otherwise, that was up to you and I suggest that would be inappropriate.

I don't see the value of p.m. responses as the whole idea of a forum is that we all hear what is suggested and can reply. I find that idea an extraordinary suggestion.

I voted for the Panel project but actually I am a bit iffy about the GWS itself doing it. In the end, it is an interesting project, but it ain't GWR. Recently the GWS decided to loosen further its constitution on this issue. It probably does not matter very much, but money raised for things like that could be at the expense of restoring numerous coaches in the sidings, that are in dire need at present (think Dreadnought and Bow Ended Collett examples).
 

krus_aragon

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2009
Messages
6,105
Location
North Wales
The choices were that of the forum. If you wanted it to be otherwise, that was up to you and I suggest that would be inappropriate.
I think you may have misunderstood. Nothing's going to be changed about the poll just held. IanXC's point (and my original one) was about future donations and polls, not this recent one. He is seeking the views (or choice) of the forum on whether winners should be entered again in future polls.

I don't see the value of p.m. responses as the whole idea of a forum is that we all hear what is suggested and can reply. I find that idea an extraordinary suggestion.
Replies by P.M. were a suggestion, not a condition.
 

backontrack

Established Member
Joined
2 Feb 2014
Messages
6,399
Location
The UK
So Manchester and Liverpool are in the south?

I think that the Northern Rail network covers the whole thing quite well. North from Crewe, Stoke, Nottingham and Lincoln is the North. Leicester's actually further north than Birmingham, but I would count both of those as being in the Midlands rather than anywhere else.

Yet, as far as the government is concerned, Birmingham is in 'the North'. :roll:
 
Last edited:

221129

Established Member
Joined
21 Mar 2011
Messages
6,515
Location
Sunny Scotland
I voted for the Panel project but actually I am a bit iffy about the GWS itself doing it. In the end, it is an interesting project, but it ain't GWR. Recently the GWS decided to loosen further its constitution on this issue. It probably does not matter very much, but money raised for things like that could be at the expense of restoring numerous coaches in the sidings, that are in dire need at present (think Dreadnought and Bow Ended Collett examples).

GWS has nothing to do with the Panel Project.
 

221129

Established Member
Joined
21 Mar 2011
Messages
6,515
Location
Sunny Scotland
Without the GWS it would not be happening. It's to be situated at Didcot. I suppose another location could have been chosen.

Didcot is only the location, other sites were looked at but for whatever reason Didcot was decided to be the best place.
 

Temple Meads

Established Member
Joined
2 Sep 2010
Messages
2,283
Location
Devon
Didcot is only the location, other sites were looked at but for whatever reason Didcot was decided to be the best place.

All explained in the FAQ's on the SPS website:

Why is the panel moving to Didcot? Why is it moving at all

We enquired about the possibility of preserving the entire Swindon panel building, but the building will be demolished when signal box closes. The panel is on prime land next to Swindon that can be used to develop the pick-up and drop-off area.

We approached six heritage centres within a range of Swindon, of which one didn’t respond, two responded but were not in a position to discuss further for one reason or another, and three responded positively. We visited the three that responded positively and had some informal discussions with their management, and Didcot emerged as our single preferred option. In our check-list of factors to consider Didcot was able to tick
* Ease of access for visitors and members, being well served by rail and in a well-patronised heritage centre;
* Enthusiasm of the company to accept us;
* Willingness to provide excellent quality accommodation;
* Provision of services such as electricity;
* Proximity to other facilities such as toilets, cafe, shop;
* Security, being ‘landlocked’ by railway.

We also identified that when people visit a railway, whether they’e enthusiasts or families with children, etc, the primary purpose of their visit is to ride on the train, and any museum-type additions can be perceived as less significant secondary-objectives of the visit. With Didcot being a heritage centre, visitors are primarily looking to see things, to learn about things and to take some education away with them. We feel that the nature of Swindon Panel as a working exhibit is far more suited to this type of attraction.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top