• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Visiting Millau viaduct from the town, no car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2009
Messages
3,427
Location
S Yorks, usually
Any tips on visiting and photographing the Millau viaduct please?
I’m planning a trip there, arriving/departing by train. That’s the relatively easy part of the planning, and I’m not asking for advice on that.
As for the rest, so far I’ve found out:
- the motorway service area can be accessed from local roads, and has a visitor centre and possibly guided tours
- the local “Mio” buses are free, but don’t go as far as the viaduct (it’s a long old walk from town)
- there are various viewpoints around the valley sides

The local tourism site doesn’t mention tours from the town centre and I couldn’t see any when searching elsewhere on the internet. I might email them to confirm that.
Maybe a hired bike or taxi might be an option.

Any thoughts or experience? Thanks in advance
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WibbleWobble

Member
Joined
19 Aug 2022
Messages
617
Location
.
Buses away from the town are run by the region as part of the Lio network. However, the buses only run on the south side of the river so it would still be a trek from the nearest bus stop.

The tourism website says:
"From the station, for example, it’s not easy to visit the Millau Viaduct. To get to the motorway rest area, 8 kilometers away, you’ll either have to rent a car or take a cab."
 

bspahh

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2017
Messages
2,445
Any tips on visiting and photographing the Millau viaduct please?
I’m planning a trip there, arriving/departing by train. That’s the relatively easy part of the planning, and I’m not asking for advice on that.
As for the rest, so far I’ve found out:
- the motorway service area can be accessed from local roads, and has a visitor centre and possibly guided tours
- the local “Mio” buses are free, but don’t go as far as the viaduct (it’s a long old walk from town)
- there are various viewpoints around the valley sides

The local tourism site doesn’t mention tours from the town centre and I couldn’t see any when searching elsewhere on the internet. I might email them to confirm that.
Maybe a hired bike or taxi might be an option.

Any thoughts or experience? Thanks in advance
There is a 3 hour excursion by minibus for €23
 

Sir Felix Pole

Established Member
Joined
21 Oct 2012
Messages
2,213
Location
Wilmslow
There are boat trips under the viaduct as well starting from the village of Creissels which is accessible by bus.

Millau Viaduct

You do, of course, go under the viaduct by train approaching Millau from the south.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top