• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Visiting Manchester Utd Football Ground Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,859
Location
West of Andover
Evening all

I'm roughly forming an idea to try and shack attack the delightful Manchester Utd Football Ground station on the 5th December (Man Utd appear to be playing at home that day to West Ham so hopefully Northern will do their usual and lay on the services)

Is it possible to visit the shack (I've read that you need a special Manchester stations to MUFG ticket as it's not included on any other rovers) and be able to escape from the area without actually going into the stadium itself?

And any advice for anybody who have already visited the shack for the purposes of not actually visiting the football ground but to clear it from the network?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gathursty

Established Member
Joined
31 May 2011
Messages
2,651
Location
Wigan
I'd just say to a marshall at some point between the platform and the turnstile at Old Trafford ground that you've changed your mind about watching the match because City* are better. :P

*Replace with any team you wish.

TBH, I doubt there could be much enclosed funnelling because both home and away fans would use the train and will require access to all sides of the stadium, as will those arriving using other forms of transport.
 

185143

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2013
Messages
5,370
GM rail rangers are accepted. (I got it on MUFC v MCFC. Mistake!) I used a season ticket which TfGM allow to be used anywhere in Greater Manchester at weekends. It is possible to exit the shack and get to Metrolink without entering the ground as that's exactly what I did!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Gathursty:2293894 said:
I'd just say to a marshall at some point between the platform and the turnstile at Old Trafford ground that you've changed your mind about watching the match because City* are better. :P

*Replace with any team you wish.

TBH, I doubt there could be much enclosed funnelling because both home and away fans would use the train and will require access to all sides of the stadium, as will those arriving using other forms of transport.
nobody questioned me about not going into Old Trafford however as there was around 90 minutes until kick off, people were going to the pub/burger vans/buying tickets etc.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,859
Location
West of Andover
GM rail rangers are accepted. (I got it on MUFC v MCFC. Mistake!) I used a season ticket which TfGM allow to be used anywhere in Greater Manchester at weekends. It is possible to exit the shack and get to Metrolink without entering the ground as that's exactly what I did!

Would Pomona be the closest metrolink stop?

I would imagine doing it on the Manchester derby would be as big as a mistake as doing it on MU vs Liverpool. :lol:
 

185143

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2013
Messages
5,370
Kite159:2293903 said:
GM rail rangers are accepted. (I got it on MUFC v MCFC. Mistake!) I used a season ticket which TfGM allow to be used anywhere in Greater Manchester at weekends. It is possible to exit the shack and get to Metrolink without entering the ground as that's exactly what I did!

Would Pomona be the closest metrolink stop?

I would imagine doing it on the Manchester derby would be as big as a mistake as doing it on MU vs Liverpool. :lol:
Old Trafford Metrolink stop was the one I was directed to.

Did I get a burger and chips on the way? Maybe:D
 

87015

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2006
Messages
5,078
Location
GEML/WCML/SR
We just did the ecs back. Train in was F and S, played dumb and said over carried. Guard had no problem with it - Was a couple of normals who did the same, probably unintentionally though.
 

185143

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2013
Messages
5,370
87015:2293911 said:
We just did the ecs back. Train in was F and S, played dumb and said over carried. Guard had no problem with it - Was a couple of normals who did the same, probably unintentionally though.
I asked the staff on the platform, who I knew, if I could do the ECS. They said no. (Probably just to wind me up though LOL:D)
 

fowler9

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2013
Messages
8,380
Location
Liverpool
I have done it after a Liverpool away a couple of seasons ago. I am not really a shack attacker but that along with the one at RAF Finningley/Robin Hood Airport many moons ago may make a few jealous.

As others have said you don't need to go in to the ground to get out of the station.
 
Last edited:

telstarbox

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2010
Messages
6,387
Location
Wennington Crossovers
Would Pomona be the closest metrolink stop?

I would imagine doing it on the Manchester derby would be as big as a mistake as doing it on MU vs Liverpool. :lol:

Nearest are Exchange Quay, Old Trafford or you could walk past the IWM North and cross the Canal to MediaCityUK if you scratch tram stops too.
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,949
Location
Fenny Stratford
The station doesn't open into the ground but onto the precinct next to and below the South stand so it should be possible to escape towards the tram stop
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
I couldn't help but notice a December Saturday is being referred to.

It's worth noting rail and Metrolink services can get rammed on December Saturdays even if there's no home game due to how many people go in to the city to do their Christmas shopping.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top