• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin 'XC' branded power cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

ash39

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2012
Messages
1,524
Hi,

Bit of a long shot, but does anyone have a list of all the Virgin power cars that carried the short lived 'xc' cross country branding at the start of the franchise in 1996?

imag0983g.jpg


So far I know of;

43063 'Maiden Voyager' (buffer fitted)
43068 'The Red Nose'
43093 'Lady in Red'
43155 'City of Aberdeen'

I'm sure they were more from memory, but no idea which.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ash39

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2012
Messages
1,524
I think the coaches were very rare, I haven't seen many photos of them, and I remember at the time seeing some all-Virgin sets with mixed plain and xc branding, so I'm thinking a very small number of them carried it.

I'm hoping someone can come up with an unnamed power car which carried the branding. I want to do a model in 2mm scale but the nameplates aren't available in 2mm!
 

Masbroughlad

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2011
Messages
1,847
Location
Midlands
While it was still BR XC as a shadow franchise did any power cars ever have that livery (was there a livery?) I know XC had an identity and applied it in marketing material and to some upholstery?
 

Eagle

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2011
Messages
7,106
Location
Leamingrad / Blanfrancisco
While it was still BR XC as a shadow franchise did any power cars ever have that livery (was there a livery?) I know XC had an identity and applied it in marketing material and to some upholstery?

You mean this identity?


As it was clearly still an InterCity subbrand I'd be surprised if they'd bother changing the livery of trains.
 

Masbroughlad

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2011
Messages
1,847
Location
Midlands
Eagle:1480680 said:
You mean this identity?


As it was clearly still an InterCity subbrand I'd be surprised if they'd bother changing the livery of trains.

No the XC brand.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,442
Location
Yorkshire
The XC franchise commenced in January 1997, and the initial livery was as depicted in the photo of the model of 43094 on the first post.
 

ash39

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2012
Messages
1,524
Enjoyed the shot of the old timetables, but yeah as Yorkie said above, I'm after information on the start of the Virgin XC branding, from early 97' onwards.

I'm almost certain more than the 4 power cars I mentioned carried it, but I can't find any photos to say I'm right.
 

43025 Exeter

Member
Joined
2 Mar 2013
Messages
166
So that you know of, 43094 is not the model in the first post although this is 43093. The main point is that there were 6 power cars that carried "XC CrossCountry" branding, 43063, 43068, 43092, 43093, 43153 and 43155. All the others just had the Virgin logo and a black cab roof, except that 43092/155 had "XC" branding with a black cab roof due to dirt appearing on the yellow roof in early repaints (43063/068/093/153).
 

ash39

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2012
Messages
1,524
43025 exeter- brilliant! 092 had the xc and no nameplate. Plus a black roof, so that saves me a potentially tricky masking and respray job (it was hard enough on the 4mm model at the top of the page!)

Thanks very much.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top