• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin West Coast Advance bookings

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2010
Messages
4,001
Good morning,

Does anyone know how far ahead Virgin West Coast open their booking systems. ECML do say on their webiste when they ar ebooking upto. (today it say 12 April), but I can not see similar info on Virgin.

I am trying to get good STD or perhaps 1st. EUS/LLJ/EUS 09 Apr-13 Apr.

Tks.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Snap

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2005
Messages
3,156
Everyone's booking system is the same (in the most part), so all ticket websites (whatever the operator) will allow booking up to the same date in advance (AFAIK). A quick glance on Virgin shows they are also allowing booking up to 13th April today.

In terms of Virgin-only advance tickets (the really cheap ones), they tend to be available approximately 3 months before. Although, there tends to be a bit of a lag by about a week, so for 9th April if they're not already out I'd expect them to be imminent.

--------Edit-------------

Looking at the Best Fare Finder on Virgin's site, they're up to Friday 10th April with their cheap fares.
 
Last edited:

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2010
Messages
4,001
Thank you for this, I will keep an eye on the links and website.

By the way, on this service to North Wales, what type of train is used from Euston, will it be a normal electric Pendalino with diesel haulage from Crewe, or will it be a short voyager unit? I have not done that route beyond Chester before.

Tks.
 
Last edited:

cool110

Member
Joined
12 Dec 2014
Messages
846
Location
Preston
That route should be a voyager. Also it looks like tickets for up to the 12th have just been released.
 

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2010
Messages
4,001
That route should be a voyager. Also it looks like tickets for up to the 12th have just been released.

Thank you. I have now been able to get bookings/reservations and seat numbers for both trains. The coach numbers are a bit odd though, perhaps it's because it is a voyager. I have STD Class going up from Eus, coach K and as there was a very good 1st class fare coming back from LLJ it's coach L, that one seems fine, but I was surprised that K is a STD Class carriage. I thought that K would have been a 1st class coach? (I was expecting A-G) Are these trains infact two units that sometime divide enroute?
 

causton

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2010
Messages
5,504
Location
Somewhere between WY372 and MV7
Yes, Voyagers are 5-car units, ABCDE and GHJKL, with E, and naturally, with your reservation, L, being the first class coaches.

For what it's worth, I am in coach K of a Pendolino now, which is also first class (and always the best first class carriage to go in but don't tell anyone I said that ;) )
 
Last edited:

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2010
Messages
4,001
Yes, Voyagers are 5-car units, ABCDE and FGHJK, with (E I suppose?) and naturally, with your reservation, K, being the first class coaches.

For what it's worth, I am in coach K of a Pendolino now, which is also first class (and always the best first class carriage to go in but don't tell anyone I said that ;) )


That's even more strange then. As my ticket has K as the Standard Class outbound and L for the first class on the return. I wonder if I am on usual trains then?
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,469
Yes, Voyagers are 5-car units, ABCDE and FGHJK, with (E I suppose?) and naturally, with your reservation, K, being the first class coaches.

For what it's worth, I am in coach K of a Pendolino now, which is also first class (and always the best first class carriage to go in but don't tell anyone I said that ;) )

GHJKL rather than FGHJK, L or KL being First Class accommodation.

So in a 10-car formation, ABCDE+GHJKL, E and L, and sometimes also D and/or K, are First Class.
 

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2010
Messages
4,001

causton

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2010
Messages
5,504
Location
Somewhere between WY372 and MV7
If it's anything like mine, with curry (probably not, sorry, don't think a Voyager does the hot food as well as the Pendo does), cheese and biscuits, chocolate, tea, gin and tonic, fruit etc... :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top