• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Value tickets for 3rd August

Which ticket would you buy for a pre-planned journey, when you could book in advance?

  • Standard Open Single/Return

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    13
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2005
Messages
4,286
Hi all,

I would like to book a Virgin Value First C single from Bristol Temple M to Birmingham New Street, on the above date in the afternoon, but no Value singles at all are showing up.

I know that the VT site has experienced problems recently, but it's showing the full range of singles as available between Monday and Thursday, between 08:59 (i think) and 14:59.

I know it's a Friday afternoon, which may be busy, but I just don't see why there's not even one value single (in either standard or first) available at all.

Are they going to be released sometime in the future, or not at all?

EDIT: Please only select one or two poll options max, as I couldn't decide whether to just allow one option, or any, as i thought allowing just one would limit your choice.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

paul1609

Established Member
Joined
28 Jan 2006
Messages
7,992
Location
K
Think youll find they are sold out as theres values available in the evening.
 

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2005
Messages
4,286
Think youll find they are sold out as theres values available in the evening.

Only on the 18:59.

It's just that i used to be able to get a Value First single from Bristol to Preston on the 15:29 all the time, before VXC got rid of them, and confined them to mid-morning trains. This has been since they changed the singles from 3/7/14, to A/B/C.

Edit: Thanks to everyone for keeping to a maximum of two votes...
Oh, There's always one person.... Tom ;)
 

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
5,466
Location
Cambridge
Maybe you could travel standard for once in your life like the rest of us ;)
 

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2005
Messages
4,286
Maybe you could travel standard for once in your life like the rest of us ;)

lol yeah i probably will do if no value firsts are "released into the wild".


After all, it's only about an hour and a half between Bristol and Birmingham. It's just annoying, because i've not travelled SC on a Voyager for aggesss.
 

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
5,466
Location
Cambridge
After all, it's only about an hour and a half between Bristol and Birmingham. It's just annoying, because i've not travelled SC on a Voyager for aggesss.

Thankfully my experiences of Voyager standard class are few and far between. I can see why you would want to go first, because i've travelled first on a Voyager before, and it was a really good experience :)
 

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2005
Messages
4,286
Thankfully my experiences of Voyager standard class are few and far between. I can see why you would want to go first, because i've travelled first on a Voyager before, and it was a really good experience :)

That's exactly why i travel FC.

It's just a shame that the snack box limit of one each is in place from the FC host, and that the at seat service isn't has extensive as VWC's service on Pendos. This IMO makes Pendos far superior, with the improved food.
 

Daniel

Established Member
Joined
5 Oct 2005
Messages
2,568
Location
London
VXC limit you to one??

Did the NQY HST a while back, and met up with WSXFan, Jim.. and... someone else...... ended up getting about 6 boxes :)
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,194
Location
0035
A certain VT train manager gave Jim, myself and a few others some snack boxes and some sandwiches once, except we weren't in First :p Not going to say her name, but she is always very friendly and does cheery announcements.

The aftermath: -
 

Attachments

  • food.jpg
    food.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 33

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2005
Messages
4,286
If i do end up travelling SC on the Voyager, i'll probably end up travelling in coach F and seeing if my fellow passengers will actually stay quiet.
 

Jim

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
3,490
Location
Wick
A certain VT train manager gave Jim, myself and a few others some snack boxes and some sandwiches once, except we weren't in First :p Not going to say her name, but she is always very friendly and does cheery announcements.

The aftermath: -


Ah yes, that was brilliant! Had her on the VXC HST the other week actaully, first time I had seen her in yonks
 

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2005
Messages
4,286
I've just checked the fares between Bristol and Birmingham. Suddenly, out of no where, the Value Standard C is available:grin: ... spooky :)

Don't worry guys, i'm going to get a Value First on one, but will probably alter the time i go a bit.
 

Jim

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
3,490
Location
Wick
I've just checked the fares between Bristol and Birmingham. Suddenly, out of no where, the Value Standard C is available:grin: ... spooky :)

Don't worry guys, i'm going to get a Value First on one, but will probably alter the time i go a bit.

Thats because there system went down, if you read the site, it said the cheep fares were graduly being re-instated
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,517
Location
Yorkshire
If the full standard range available, but no firsts, it is highly likely that the 1st class allocation has sold out or there is no allocation.

I am struggling for tickets on 18th August, but there are none in standard or first, for any train so I suspect they are not on sale yet. But they are on sale for later weekends, which is odd!

If Standard advance C is available, I can't ever see sense in going for anything else. If it's a choice between First C and Standard A, then it is likely to be only a small amount more for FC so then I might be tempted. I've never bought a FC ticket on Virgin, though.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
Only ever done FC on a Voyager once, did that on a 1st Day Single. No idea which one it was (wasn't fussed which one I rode in, just wanted numbers for sightings at the time), but it was unusual to be in First Class! Very nice mind.

Bought a FC AP fare with Virgin a while ago, but that was on a HST anyway. Will try FC on a Voyager again one day.

As for the choice of fares, I'd go for whatever could be afforded and was available. If I could afford a First Class fare, then that would be the preferred option. If I could only go for Standard, then I'd be just as happy with that! I have no beef with Standard on a Voyager, quite happy to travel SC whenever!
 

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2005
Messages
4,286
I've got a ticket on a Primo service between Euston & Preston, for £22.10 Value First.

I've checked the same train again, and it isn't even offering the Advance First A/B tickets at around £90. Instead, i would have to buy the FOS for £170..

It may be "Fish on Friday", instead of the weekly main course dish, but It's still fantastic value for money in my eyes.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top