• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Trains West Coast First Class Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Joined
16 Jan 2016
Messages
3,178
Location
Dumfries
I will be travelling from Carlisle to Glasgow (return) next Tuesday on the Virgin Train (first class). I will be eating from the brunch and evening meal menus, will I be able to have a full meal during the short period spent on board the train?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dave87016

Established Member
Joined
9 Dec 2008
Messages
1,891
Location
Lancashire
Yes you should have it both ways I regularly do the 18:40pm from Glasgow ( evening meal service) and its usually served before or just after Motherwell
 

Chrism20

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
1,400
Anytime I've done an evening meal service out of Glasgow everything has been cleared away either just before or after Lockerbie and that's on a reasonably loaded service so you should be fine.

I recommend the chicken, it was really nice - the pic attached is from a Voyager service (18:52 from Edinburgh last week) but the menu is the same so I assume it's the same on the pendolino.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0803.jpg
    IMG_0803.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 90

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Joined
16 Jan 2016
Messages
3,178
Location
Dumfries
Anytime I've done an evening meal service out of Glasgow everything has been cleared away either just before or after Lockerbie and that's on a reasonably loaded service.

By everything do you mean the main course or both the main and pudding (I'm already eyeing up the chocolate brownie, haha :lol: )
 

Chrism20

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
1,400
By everything do you mean the main course or both the main and pudding (I'm already eyeing up the chocolate brownie, haha :lol: )

Yes main course not long after leaving central and pudding served around Abington which is about ten minutes south of Carstairs.

Depending on how busy it is you might get brownie and cheese :D
 

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Joined
16 Jan 2016
Messages
3,178
Location
Dumfries
Yes main course not long after leaving central and pudding served around Abington which is about ten minutes south of Carstairs.

Depending on how busy it is you might get brownie and cheese :D

Fantastic! That leaves us half an hour for main and as long as we need for pudding (I imagine that once we start descending Beattock, most of it will be gone, I don't usually hold back when it comes to brownie! And the extra cheese would just be something to make the journey even nicer!)

Is the service as punctual for services TO Glasgow? I believe I will be having a bacon roll from the brunch menu if we are served :)
 
Last edited:

Chrism20

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
1,400
Normally most of my WC journeys are to/from Preston as that where I'm based with work at the moment so I haven't really paid attention at Carlisle, however with the next stop being the terminus I'd imagine they will be round sharpish as they will want things cleared down and ready for the next journey - even more so if it's a Glasgow crew that are finished when they get back to central.

I'm going back to Edinburgh on Friday morning so will try and remember to pay attention and let you know.
 

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Joined
16 Jan 2016
Messages
3,178
Location
Dumfries
Hi, the crew had been round before Gretna Junction so as expected it was pretty sharpish.

Thanks :) Was this on a Pendolino or a Virgin Trains Super Voyager service to Edinburgh Waverley?

Also was it a bacon roll you were offered (assuming it was brunch service)
 

Chrism20

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
1,400
Thanks :) Was this on a Pendolino or a Virgin Trains Super Voyager service to Edinburgh Waverley?

Also was it a bacon roll you were offered (assuming it was brunch service)

It was the 0954 from Preston which is the 1101 at Carlisle and is usually an 11 car pendolino.

It was brunch from Preston onwards with a surprisingly large take up on the soup at 10am which surprised me.
 

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Joined
16 Jan 2016
Messages
3,178
Location
Dumfries
Thanks everyone for helping

Service on the way there was VERY punctual, with a staff member coming to see us by the time we had exited the 20mph speed zone. We were (strangely) offered a full breakfast, which we gladly accepted over the reduced brunch menu.

On the return, we received our meal at Motherwell, and pudding around Lamington, so we received good service through the day, thanks to everyone who advised us :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top