• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Trains' New £8m Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,941
Location
UK
I am not sure it would be a significant reduction. The main cost is the advertising print space, airtime etc.

And even the national newspapers are regionalised, so you might want to place a full page or double page advert in the Daily Mail, but still only for the papers distributed around London or Manchester.

And obviously on TV, you can also go by region. On Sky, you can even book ads that are inserted and shown by the set top box, not what is received via satellite.

So, whereas you might do localised advertising for one line, you'd now be booking nationally. Sure, you might get a big discount, but it will still cost a lot more.

And if you decide to do postal mailings, obviously that bumps the price up once you're going to more postcodes.

You do have a point and I am sure there would be SOME savings, but not anything THAT significant. And I'd imagine you'd probably want to 'localise' the advertising itself too - thus still producing different ads for different places, routes, and to target certain demographics. Perhaps the Great Western route for tourism, ECML for business or whatever.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tractakid

Member
Joined
12 Nov 2012
Messages
852
Location
Milton Keynes
Well, all this talk of 'they should cut fares instead'... My Virgin priced fare to travel to London tomorrow is 35p cheaper than it used to be :D
 

al.currie93

Member
Joined
27 Jun 2013
Messages
381
I am not sure it would be a significant reduction. The main cost is the advertising print space, airtime etc.

And even the national newspapers are regionalised, so you might want to place a full page or double page advert in the Daily Mail, but still only for the papers distributed around London or Manchester.

And obviously on TV, you can also go by region. On Sky, you can even book ads that are inserted and shown by the set top box, not what is received via satellite.

So, whereas you might do localised advertising for one line, you'd now be booking nationally. Sure, you might get a big discount, but it will still cost a lot more.

And if you decide to do postal mailings, obviously that bumps the price up once you're going to more postcodes.

You do have a point and I am sure there would be SOME savings, but not anything THAT significant. And I'd imagine you'd probably want to 'localise' the advertising itself too - thus still producing different ads for different places, routes, and to target certain demographics. Perhaps the Great Western route for tourism, ECML for business or whatever.

Fair points, I guess it would depend on how it was carried out then. But savings would still be made, which is always a good thing :P
 

thenorthern

Established Member
Joined
27 May 2013
Messages
4,714
When I was on the train today I noticed instead of the usual monotonous woman announcements of "Welcome to this Virgin Train to, London Euston Calling at Stockport Macclesfield Stoke-on-Trent" there was a new jingle with a more happy sounding woman. Is this part of the Arrive Awesome branding?
 

user15681

Established Member
Joined
3 Jun 2012
Messages
1,354
I note 390155 (formerly X-men) has 'Arrive Awesome' slapped on the side of it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top