The £15 tickets look to be there but only on trains like the 2200 to Newcastle from London. The 0704 Scotsman down to London from Newcastle is now at a pretty daft price too.
Will the same amount of cheap advance fares still be available?
Yes absolutely. In fact, where we have capacity on trains, well ensure there are even more advance fares available.
Agreed, it does seem the lower tier of advances have had numbers reduced.
Take for example 1st August London to Leeds, only a handful of trains have £13 advances available both ways.
I suppose they can claim they can reduce fares by cutting the lowest tier but also cutting number of tickets available, plus cutting the anytime fare by a nominal amount (and increasing the super off-peak/off-peak fares)
It has for a few weeks now I think.Does the online seat selector differentiate between the usual VTEC HST layout and the EMT HST layout?
Well that's progress. I watched an EC HST leave Leeds the other day and it had large brown blotches all along the body side of its carriages. There's only so long you can tinker with NXEC's livery. A proper repaint seems urgent.
This is just a vinyling. Wonder if they'll ever see a repaint now...
This is just a vinyling. Wonder if they'll ever see a repaint now...
I certainly hope they do.
The IC125, the saviour of the Nation's railway deserves to leave this mortal coil with a decent paint job. At the very worst, they've got four to five years, so they should finish with a decent paint job.
Not an amalgam of the past three liveries in a rusting rubbish pit.
Though that concerns some of the former First Great Western HST sets, rather than East Coasts'.Depends if you count Scotrail saltaire livery as a 'decent paint job'
Depends if you count Scotrail saltaire livery as a 'decent paint job'

So is the view here that Virgin Trains East Coast are limiting availability of the cheapest fares?
I've heard it so many times that even without hard evidence it's looking to be the case.
Of course it's always possible the availability is the same just tickets are selling quicker. I could also imagine people using up rewards tickets would affect the lower fare quotas.
Before launch VTEC promised no changes to the availability of the lowest fares and even hinted at more cheaper fares becoming available.
See their promise from before they started (thanks web archive):
Should I add more cheap advance fares to the list of broken promises along with free WiFi, Nectar on Foodbar purchases (not that we're really bothered on that one) and then the things that are just taking way longer than they should such as station WiFi being a year away, the new coffee machines being not ready until August next year. Basically not much happening soon.
I think the outer jackets may well be red as I think that's what I saw staff wearing on Doncaster station yesterday.