I am entitle to my opinion, I'm sorry if you don't like it.
More than happy to see opinion. I just dont agree.
Yes it returned a lot to the treasury - a hell of a lot, in that time there has been next to nothing spent on the rolling stock other than essential maintenance.
In 5 years they returned more than Virgin WC did in 17 years!
Some of that money should have been put back into the business to improve it and develop it further improving service, performance etc.
The infrastructure is often the problem on the EC. It wont get any better if VTEC take the same stance as VWC
EC have invested where they could: Fleet wide air con upgrades, fleet wide wifi upgrades/fleet wide catering changes/fleet reliability mods. Each set has been through works at Wabtecc recently for refits/repaints
new trains weren't an option and taking on extra stock didnt seem to be possible. VTEC get access to the super duper new IEP in due course.
Returning more than EC did whilst introducing new rolling stock (And tbh I couldn't give a toss who ordered, who picked it etc etc, VTEC will be the ones to introduce it), upgrading the existing fleet, extending services, introducing new ones etc etc will be damn difficult, however VTEC and their bid think they can do it. We can only hope the DFT have made sure it stacks up so we don't end up with the same thing again.
But VTEC will claim the credit for saving the East Coast and building these super new trains and it wont, strictly, be true. The risk lies entirely with other people not the operator.
If VTEC funded, form their own resources entirely, a new fleet of trains that they sourced, specified and procured i would be very happy to acknowledge this. They aren't. They will simply be the first users of a new train and pay to lease it. That isn't quite the same thing.
And as for your last comment, I merely commented I liked the colour of the train I also have much more to worry about. Find me a company that can carry on returning those levels of cash with very little investment over a sustained period of time as I would like to invest.
They can paint it tope and turquoise for all i care. It is unimportant. There are bigger systemic issues that many posters on here seem to care little about. There is an obsession with frippery at times.
I understand why people are angry BUT that anger should not be directed at the winning bidder (IMO), it should be directed at the politicians who made the decision. They were hell bent on re-privatising it profit or not and if it hadn't been Virgin/Stagecoach it would have been one of the others. The comments on social media are bordering on absurd. The rewards I can understand, I'd say I'll lose about twelve First Class returns a year due to it but ten point lists etc lampooning someone because someone else picked the trains and emissions etc is just ridiculous.
I agree that the government is to blame. They wanted this pushed sale/franchise through before an election to lock their successors into this system and it stinks.
And people ARE angry. Real people who have no real interest in the railways but are VTEC customers are angry and upset that EC was disposed of. VTEC have to acknowledge this fact and win hearts and minds. Not with cheap gimmicks like today but with offering a service to their passengers that exceeds on a regular basis that offered by EC. People will not forgive their failings as they may have forgiven EC.
And for the record we can agree on one thing - that level of return is nigh on impossible, but if they manage it I'll happily write to Messrs Soutar & Branson to congratulate them.
Happily agreed. I will hand deliver my letter. Hopefully it will be third time lucky. The cynic in me doubts it.