• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Trains East Coast launch day

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexl92

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2014
Messages
2,368
Having initially said I didn't mind it, I've decided I don't like it. It'll look great when fresh, but won't take long to look horrendous.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
Guy with a different view, that is absolutely hideous. Looks like the packaging for a raspberry ripple ice cream...

Only going on the photos on here, but I agree. What's more, a pound shop raspberry ripple.
 

muttynut

Member
Joined
13 Oct 2011
Messages
28
It looks fantastic much better than the drab grey and the dated pretendolino thing
 

Yew

Established Member
Joined
12 Mar 2011
Messages
7,244
Location
UK
The carriages look alright, but the Loco livery is seriously unflattering.. It makes it look like a can of coke!
 
Last edited:

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
I'm in Edinburgh for the day today so popped down to Waverley to see the arrival of 91124. Quite a few 'suits' about with a photo call taking place at the DVT end upon arrival. A few VTEC staff (seemed to be 'land based' rather than on-board crew in Red Virgin coats - looks like they had been supplied by VWC. Don't think they were VWC staff as they were wearing VTEC name badges.

I was uncertain about the livery having read this thread but it's nowhere near as bad 'in the flesh'. I suspect it's one of those liveries that'll grow on us.

The set looks like it had been given a decent clean internally throughout. VTEC stickers applied to every window proclaiming 'the start of an amazing journey' (surprised they haven't used awesome actually!)

EC branding looks to have been removed internally although the window stickers in the quiet coaches have been missed - these are still in EC purple. Food Bar looks unchanged although the menus/price lists have been replaced with VTEC ones.

On a related note it looks as though the outside of every set has had a decent clean over the last few days. Both trains I travelled on to Edinburgh today were spotless on the outside and I've seen another couple of sets at Waverley that were spotless as well. Looks as though more than just putting them through the carriage washer has been done- perhaps a full jet wash?

I bought a coffee from the trolley and was given a free chocolate this morniing on my way to Edinburgh (this wasn't on the 1100). Nothing special - a small square in a red VTEC wrapper.

Announcements on-board are a bit cringeworthy, the crew leader welcoming us to the 'start of an amazing journey' after every station stop. He seemed rather embarrassed to have to make it!

A good job has been done of replacing posters at stations over the weekend. At Stevenage, Peterborough (where I changed this morning) and from what I could see at other stations we called at all the EC posters have been replaced with Virgin red ones. Even the platform 'flags' denoting where to stand for each carriage had been changed at Peterborough.
 
Last edited:

dfurn

Member
Joined
10 Feb 2012
Messages
112
The wrapper has the website address to visit to enter a Virgin Trains EC competition, and they also announced the competition and some of the prizes over the PA when telling customers about the chocolate.

Awww I didn't get any chocolate yesterday. What's the website address then please?
 

Eccles

Member
Joined
16 Dec 2011
Messages
23
Location
York
The carriages look alright, but the Loco livery is seriously unflattering.. It makes it look like a can of coke!

Looks more like an Angry Bird to me... :)
 

Attachments

  • angry225.PNG
    angry225.PNG
    186.9 KB · Views: 119

Bantamzen

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2013
Messages
10,507
Location
Cheshire
Looks good when on the move

It does, I really like this new livery. I particularly love the red sweep towards the end of the carriages. Looks nice at standstill and even better in motion. I think a trip to London might be in order in the next few months (hopefully to ride on a re-liveried set of course!!).

Edit: I've also just noticed that the red sweep reverses direction at the buffet car, making it look better still and rather pleasing my slight OCD... :)
 
Last edited:

gavin

Member
Joined
25 Dec 2006
Messages
1,006
91124 near York just before 13:00

B_GSh_TWkAADIQb.jpg:large

B_GSmZ4WwAANCSC.jpg:large
 

E-Rail

Member
Joined
7 Dec 2012
Messages
272
I notice the swoosh reverses over the top of the buffet car and sweeps the other direction across the First class coaches.

Very surprised to read this is a Ray Stenning design though as it lacks any sort of flair or style usually associated with Best Impressions' work.

Shame to see the website already dumbed down by Virgin to appeal to dim people whilst patronising everyone else who isn't 7 years old.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,940
Location
UK
The carriages look alright, but the Loco livery is seriously unflattering.. It makes it look like a can of coke!
Virgin Cola you mean?!

It looks odd how the pattern switches direction part way along to be 'right' at the other end. Maybe a different design along the carriages could have prevented this?
 

al.currie93

Member
Joined
27 Jun 2013
Messages
381
Not a fan of the livery... too flashy and the contrast of red and white stands out way too much. I also agree that they look like children's toys. But then livery is not everything in the railway, and I'm definitely far more sad to see a nicely run, personally loved company that always provided a me great service in a simple, subtle way go (completely unnecessarily in my opinion)...
 

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire
It'll get caught up either around Doncaster or just before York and will arrive on time or a just a minute or two early at York I'd bet.

It arrived in York about 4E in the end - fortunate as it gave plenty of time for photos and there was a guy with a video camera (like proper TV type camera)

As I arrived on the platform, I did hear one passenger who was leaving the platform comment about there "being a lot more people than normal here today"
 

Chrism20

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
1,400
I quite like the livery and I think the loco looks good in the red. I'm not too keen on the bit leading off the swish but that's just my opinion. I think it will look the business on an HST though when they are done.

I've had a quick look on Facebook this afternoon and my word people need to get a grip. It is day two and the vitriol is beyond belief, I actually had to stop reading as it is just ridiculous.

Karen Boswell and the EC team done a decent job with EC and yes they returned a lot of money to the treasury, however when you actually stand back and look at everything very little was done with EC for years. Her remit was to keep it ticking over and that is pretty much what she has done since the introduction of Eureka. The return to the exchequer would have been nowhere near the level it was had the business been developed rather than standstill for years.
 
Last edited:

MK Tom

Established Member
Joined
31 Aug 2011
Messages
2,458
Location
Milton Keynes
Let's just say that livery is Virgin on the ridiculous!

I kind of like it. It has a sense of streamlined power. It's proud and crazy.
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
I quite like the livery and I think the loco looks good in the red. I'm not too keen on the bit leading off the swish but that's just my opinion. I think it will look the business on an HST though when they are done.

I've had a quick look on Facebook this afternoon and my word people need to get a grip. It is day two and the vitriol is beyond belief, I actually had to stop reading as it is just ridiculous.

Karen Boswell and the EC team done a decent job with EC and yes they returned a lot of money to the treasury, however when you actually stand back and look at everything very little was done with EC for years. Her remit was to keep it ticking over and that is pretty much what she has done since the introduction of Eureka. The return to the exchequer would have been nowhere near the level it was had the business been developed rather than standstill for years.

what on earth are you talking about?

EC returned £1bn to the treasury. One Billion, in 5 years. How long will VTEC take to return the same?

Have you thought that many real people ( not spotters but real people) are very angry that the government chose to sell of a financially successful publicly owned company? Many people worry about much more than the colours of the trains!

EDIT i have stayed out of this thread as i know my views aren't welcome but sometimes............
 
Last edited:

JaJaWa

Established Member
Joined
14 Feb 2013
Messages
1,734
Location
⠀
what on earth are you talking about?

EC returned £1bn to the treasury. One Billion, in 5 years. How long will VTEC take to return the same?

Have you thought that many real people ( not spotters but real people) are very angry that the government chose to sell of a financially successful publicly owned company? Many people worry about much more than the colours of the trains!

EDIT i have stayed out of this thread as i know my views aren't welcome but sometimes............

VTEC is going to be returning £2.3 billion. If DOR also bid for the service, it's likely they would have lost to Stagecoach/Virgin.
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
VTEC is going to be returning £2.3 billion. If they DOR also bid for the service, it's likely they would have lost to Stagecoach/Virgin.

in how many years?

seeing as DOR weren't allowed to bid we will never know what they felt they could retrun
 

43074

Established Member
Joined
10 Oct 2012
Messages
2,253
About the livery, I like it - probably because it makes a change from all the bland undercoats we've seen recently a la Thameslink, Great Northern etc.

Doesn't match the class of GNER or Grand Central though.
 

alastair

Member
Joined
14 Oct 2010
Messages
484
Location
S Devon
what on earth are you talking about?

EC returned £1bn to the treasury. One Billion, in 5 years. How long will VTEC take to return the same?

Have you thought that many real people ( not spotters but real people) are very angry that the government chose to sell of a financially successful publicly owned company? Many people worry about much more than the colours of the trains!

EDIT i have stayed out of this thread as i know my views aren't welcome but sometimes............

This is from Railway Gazette:

UK: On March 1 the Inter-City Railways consortium of Stagecoach Group (90%) and Virgin Holdings (10%) began operating inter-city services on the East Coast Main Line under the Virgin Trains East Coast brand. Stagecoach and Virgin had been awarded an eight-year franchise in November last year, committing to invest £140m and make premium payments of £3∙3bn to the Department for Transport.

£3.3bn in 8 years sounds like more than £1bn in 5 years?

But there again you can prove anything with statistics!
 

CosherB

Established Member
Joined
23 Feb 2007
Messages
3,041
Location
Northwich
Quote from Stagecoach website:

"The new franchise will start in March 2015 and is planned to run until 31 March 2023, with the option for a one-year extension at the DfT’s discretion. It includes a commitment to deliver £2.3bn in real terms in premium payments to the Government between 2015 and 2023, providing a higher return to the taxpayer than under the current arrangements."

Personally, I'm amazed they're making such a comprehensive change to the EC livery for the 3 years or so that the Class 90's and Mk 4's will be carrying it. Thought they would have just modified the EC grey witgh a splash of red, and left this until IEP came along. Shows you what I know! lol
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
This is from Railway Gazette:

UK: On March 1 the Inter-City Railways consortium of Stagecoach Group (90%) and Virgin Holdings (10%) began operating inter-city services on the East Coast Main Line under the Virgin Trains East Coast brand. Stagecoach and Virgin had been awarded an eight-year franchise in November last year, committing to invest £140m and make premium payments of £3∙3bn to the Department for Transport.

£3.3bn in 8 years sounds like more than £1bn in 5 years?

But there again you can prove anything with statistics!

We will see wont we.......

( i will be AMAZED if they hand that sum over. How much have the other TOCs handed over?)

(imagine how much more that could be if they didn't have to pay shareholders!)
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top