• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Trains East Coast launch day

Status
Not open for further replies.

sadgit

Member
Joined
18 Nov 2014
Messages
49
Modern coaching stock has tapered ends so that the corners won't swing out so much when going around curves.
Most EMUs have 20m-long coaches that only need a small angle on the corner, while SWT's 444s and the Mk3/4s all have 23m long coaches and so have more of a noticeable wedge cut off.
The IEPs have 26m bodyshells - a first for the UK - with the same spacing between bogies as a 23m Mk3 and hence very long end overhangs. That gives them a very noticeably tapered end that can't be used easily for seating, hence the rather odd interior layout.

The curvedness is just the effect of chopping a vertical slice at an angle across the curved bodyside profile of the stock.

Thanks for the explanation. That'll stop bugging me now :lol:
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lincolnshire

Member
Joined
12 Jun 2011
Messages
884
How I agree.

One journey from Leeds to London on those moulded one-piece Mallard seats, and I know about it for days afterwards.

The embrocation specials!

New cushions, please, with a separate piece for the base and a slope towards the seat back rather than forwards. Then I'll stop avoiding East Coast. The present ones do my back in after 10 minutes.




I totally agree with the pair of you the crapiest seats you can find, rather sit on a pacer seat at least they slope to the back and your seated in a better position.

Its good when an East Midlands train is used , OHHHHH such nice seats to sit on or if there is a Hull Trains or Grand Central due shortly I will catch that instead and sit in comfort with good legroom too.

Get rid of them seats and get something better instead.
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Anyone riding or working the 11:00x KGX today might be interested to know that at NCL a team from Haddington Based Communitty Radio Station
http://www.eastcoastfm.co.uk
will bord and after setting up will broadcast live between 2 and 3pm including an interview with the MD. This is at the invitation of VTEC and follows a live broadcast done to and from KGX by the same team a month ago.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,123
Location
Redcar
In others words thats your seat reservation so sit in it and don,t use another seat, then passengers without a seat reservation can then sit down in the empty seats.

Or just carry on as now and either sit in the seat and moved if asked or check to see if the station the seat was reserved from has passed and if it has then sit there.

I've never understood why people don't just check to see where the reservation is valid from and then sit there or not accordingly!
 

Mark62

Member
Joined
3 Apr 2014
Messages
312
I am travelling first class on in my usual Newcastle to London train this Thursday so it will be interesting to see how things compare after just a few days of privatisation. I hope Jamie is still the magnificent drinks steward.
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
I am travelling first class on in my usual Newcastle to London train this Thursday so it will be interesting to see how things compare after just a few days of privatisation. I hope Jamie is still the magnificent drinks steward.

they will be exactly the same apart from some branding changes.
 

marks87

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
1,658
Location
Dundee
The first proper look at the new livery.

B_FdBcjWkAEjYB0.jpg:large


Source: https://twitter.com/paul_at_RAIL/status/572340932030435328

I like it.
 

Saint66

Member
Joined
15 Dec 2013
Messages
826
Location
Herts
I really quite like that full livery. Some probably won't, but it's a huge improvement on the 'stand in' virgin stripe.
 

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,774
they ended that stance when they did the Pretendolino didn't they? The livery of which would look much nicer on here!
 

marks87

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
1,658
Location
Dundee
Not sure about the swish towards the V. I guess they are sticking with the idea that the "proper" red, silver and grey only goes on new stock?

Neil
The Pretendolino carried the red, silver and grey and that certainly wasn't new stock.

East Coast is getting a distinct identity from the West Coast. Notice also that the grey part is very similar to the Stagecoach corporate style.
 

marks87

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
1,658
Location
Dundee
That's a definite Virgin/Stagecoach hybrid livery.

And very nice it is too.
 

gavin

Member
Joined
25 Dec 2006
Messages
1,006
Agree with the above a very nice livery have they done the interior as well or is it just the livery
 

dosxuk

Established Member
Joined
2 Jan 2011
Messages
2,442
Horrible. Make's the 91's look like a toy train with it's fake painted on windows and curves where it has none. It's one of the least sympathetic to the vehicle structure paint jobs I've ever seen.

And as for the mk4s, gradients never look good the way they've done it. Did they get the guy who designed the First barbie look to do this?
 

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,774
do the swishes change direction on coach F (in the middle) or coach H (café-bar)?
 

387star

On Moderation
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
6,665
Not sure why black window surrounds aren't compulsory on neutral liveries as most operators end up applying black
 

TheEdge

Established Member
Joined
29 Nov 2012
Messages
4,498
Location
Norwich
Guy with a different view, that is absolutely hideous. Looks like the packaging for a raspberry ripple ice cream...
 

alexl92

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2014
Messages
2,368
That's better than I expected to be honest. I was dreading seeing Virgin's livery on the 225s but this works. I like the extensive use of white as a base colour on the coaches, but am not so keen on the hint of stagecoach across the set - I think Stagecoach's livery looks cheap.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top