• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin trains Delay repay help

Status
Not open for further replies.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Joined
10 Apr 2013
Messages
8,424
Location
UK
I'm trying to claim delay repay for a delayed journey on Tuesday, however the online form(on the VTWC website) to claim delay repay doesn't recognise non Virgin stations.
I've tried emailing and the useless online chat, but to no avail.

The journey was between Great Malvern and Twyford via Birmingham and Euston. The Birmingham to Euston train was delayed by 2 hours, hence I'm trying to claim via Virgin Trains.

Can anyone help?
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

1B85

Member
Joined
13 Apr 2017
Messages
88
I'm trying to claim delay repay for a delayed journey on Tuesday, however the online form(on the VTWC website) to claim delay repay doesn't recognise non Virgin stations.
I've tried emailing and the useless online chat, but to no avail.

The journey was between Great Malvern and Twyford via Birmingham and Euston. The Birmingham to Euston train was delayed by 2 hours, hence I'm trying to claim via Virgin Trains.

Can anyone help?

Just put in the Birmingham and Euston stations as start and end points, the length of the delay (to your journey as a whole) tick the missed connection box if applicable and attach a photo of your tickets. They should be able to work it out.

If the journey was only on Tuesday, I'm not surprised you haven't had an email response yet.
 
Last edited:

cactustwirly

Established Member
Joined
10 Apr 2013
Messages
8,424
Location
UK
Just put in the Birmingham and Euston stations as start and end points, the length of the delay (to your journey as a whole) tick the missed connection box if applicable and attach a photo of your tickets. They should be able to work it out.

If the journey was only on Tuesday, I'm not surprised you haven't had an email response yet.

I had an email response, however it wasn't much use
 

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Joined
29 Sep 2016
Messages
3,414
Just put in the Birmingham and Euston stations as start and end points, the length of the delay (to your journey as a whole) tick the missed connection box if applicable and attach a photo of your tickets. They should be able to work it out.

This is all you need to do, quite easy really.
 

cactustwirly

Established Member
Joined
10 Apr 2013
Messages
8,424
Location
UK
you get compensation based on your lateness at destination station, not each leg

I agree, perhaps I should have been clearer, the Great Malvern leg is a separate ticket (West Midlands Day Ranger) to the Birmingham to Twyford ticket.
I'm just concerned that if I do it the way you suggested then they'll only give compensation based on the ticket from Birmingham
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,421
Location
Yorkshire
I agree, perhaps I should have been clearer, the Great Malvern leg is a separate ticket (West Midlands Day Ranger) to the Birmingham to Twyford ticket.
I'm just concerned that if I do it the way you suggested then they'll only give compensation based on the ticket from Birmingham
Email all the details, make it clear what your journey was, and include a photo/scan of all tickets used for the journey.

However Virgin will almost certainly refuse to claim for all tickets, so you will need to log a case with Transport Focus when they reject it. I suggest doing this promptly.
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,637
Location
Merseyside
Email all the details, make it clear what your journey was, and include a photo/scan of all tickets used for the journey.

However Virgin will almost certainly refuse to claim for all tickets, so you will need to log a case with Transport Focus when they reject it. I suggest doing this promptly.

Just to second this. Virgin Trains do not like people using split tickets and they try to reject valid delay repay claims by refusing to pay out on the overall value of the split tickets, even though you can use more then one ticket to make your journey. The more people who log cases with Transport Focus then the sooner VT might stop rejecting valid claims.
 

roversfan2001

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2016
Messages
1,666
Location
Lancashire
They paid me in full when I used split tickets, with their service being re-timed by 4 minutes the day before due to staff shortages. 15 minutes travel was with them, 1 hour was with Northern. Preston to Lancaster and Lancaster to Barrow tickets.
 

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Joined
29 Sep 2016
Messages
3,414
I have always found if you enter their train details, but include all the details and all the tickets, they issue the delay repay.

Of course, it cuts both ways too. If, say, you had a Euston-Milton Keynes & Milton Keynes-Manchester (I don't know why you would, but this is just an example!) and the first leg was 31 mins late into MKC, then you can claim Delay Repay on that, but if it is only 29 mins late arriving into Manchester, you can't claim on that! Not saying you should, but split tickets mean you could, in theory.

So you can see why train companies are not overly keen on it!
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,637
Location
Merseyside
I have always found if you enter their train details, but include all the details and all the tickets, they issue the delay repay.

Of course, it cuts both ways too. If, say, you had a Euston-Milton Keynes & Milton Keynes-Manchester (I don't know why you would, but this is just an example!) and the first leg was 31 mins late into MKC, then you can claim Delay Repay on that, but if it is only 29 mins late arriving into Manchester, you can't claim on that! Not saying you should, but split tickets mean you could, in theory.

So you can see why train companies are not overly keen on it!


Same with a Off Peak or Anytime Euston to Manchester ticket that allows break of journey. One could say that they arrived at MKC 31 minutes late on that. The rule is to be honest about what you actually did and what actually happened.
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,637
Location
Merseyside
What would be helpful is if VT allowed you to enter non VT served stations into their delay repay form. Either that or there was a box to provide further additional information, perhaps what could come up when you tick the box to say that their delay caused you to miss a connection.
 

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Joined
29 Sep 2016
Messages
3,414
What would be helpful is if VT allowed you to enter non VT served stations into their delay repay form. Either that or there was a box to provide further additional information, perhaps what could come up when you tick the box to say that their delay caused you to miss a connection.

There is exactly that!
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,637
Location
Merseyside
No, when you tick the connection box, you are not then able to enter additional information sadly.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top