Virgin/CrossCountry had a small Traincrew depot at Brighton too. Their Drivers and Train Managers signed the route all the way to Birmingham New Street, via Quarry Lines/Redhill, Selhurst, Balham, Clapham Junction, the West London Line, Acton Wells, Reading, Oxford, Leamington Spa and Coventry.
In addition they signed the North Downs Line from Redhill to Reading via Dorking and Guildford as some services were booked to run that way…and…they knew a whole lot of diversions in and around South London, including Crystal Palace, straight on to Streatham Hill, or through Tulse Hill, Herne Hill and Brixton among others.
I don’t know if they signed to Birmingham via Warwick and Solihull.
When the CrossCountry operation finished, many of the staff found other jobs on the railway, some of the Drivers transferred to First Capital Connect/Thameslink and some of the Train Managers went to Southern and became Conductors.
I was gonna do the last day of the service in December 2008, but as luck would have it that Saturday, I woke up with the most goddamn awful bout of Flu (to date!)…getting out of bed just to go to the Loo was proving a huge effort, I definitely didn’t have the energy to go all the way to Brighton. So I didn’t go!