In GWR first class when they serve you at hot drink at your seat they put a plastic lid on the cup which you then remove seconds later when you start to drink it.
True. But, as has been demonstrated by several anecdotes posted to this thread, it is a genuine risk.
In GWR first class when they serve you at hot drink at your seat they put a plastic lid on the cup which you then remove seconds later when you start to drink it.
I had a large and unbagged cup of coffee spilt over me on a Scotrail train a few years ago.
Luckily it got cooled by the table that it ran across and only made a mess rather than scalding. But I was put to several hours of inconvenience as a result because I had to go back home to change.
In GWR first class when they serve you at hot drink at your seat they put a plastic lid on the cup which you then remove seconds later when you start to drink it.
Risk averse culture. The fear is that you might slop it on someone and burn them and they get sued.
I do recall remonstrating with the virgin on train caterers some years back that it was not environment friendly but they were adamant I had to take the bag.
If the bag is clean and has no stains I tend to fold it back as it was originally and put it back on the pile at the next visit. Sometimes I keep it and use it on a future train.
Gone are the days when I used to burn myself with Maxpax "Coffee" carrying it through the train at the reverse curve just south of Winsford.
True. But, as has been demonstrated by several anecdotes posted to this thread, it is a genuine risk.
Well this discussion has been incredibly fascinating. But at any point has it been confirmed that official Virgin policy is not to issue coffee unless a paper bag is also provided?
The cup of coffee I was issued with yesterday without a bag (and countless times previous) would suggest no such provision actually exists.
So basically there are two types of people
First, the 'Elf and safety gone mad' lot, who claim as they have never personally scarred anyone it must be perfectly safe.
Then there's the 'Actually people can get hurt and this is a very effective low impact low cost high benefit-cost-ratio way to reduce the number of permanent injury cases'.
And they have been putting the drinks in bags for years!
The cup of coffee I was issued with yesterday without a bag (and countless times previous) would suggest no such provision actually exists.
This is the crux of it - policy or not? Seemingly not.
Or it is policy but often ignored and unenforced, particularly by staff who are sick of passengers arguing about it. (Actually this may be one case where a white lie makes sense - if you say the boiler is broken most people won't argue).
Yes, just to confirm, railway buffet cars have been putting your purchases in small paper carrier bags with handles for around 40 years now, so absolutely nothing to do with blame culture, compensation culture or any other culture. If you've ever tried getting from a Mk1 buffet car back to your seat in a Mk1/early Mk2 coach, you'd know the internal doors weren't powered. You always needed one hand to open them, some were so stiff you needed both. And the riding on a pre-upgrade WCML that had seven bells knocked out of the track by unmodified 86s meant that several hands would have been useful to keep yourself steady even if you had the luxury of Mk3 stock and a Mk3 buffet. Even today, when everything at least nominally has powered doors, it doesn't follow that they are all working properly, and the door open buttons aren't at a height which makes them easy to press while carrying a cup of hot liquid in each hand.
I had it only the other month, morning rush hour train from BPW to PAd, hoards crowded around the open door on the platform waiting to board, and someone dropped a full cup of coffee just bought from Upper Crust. Lid flew off when it hit the platform, and the coffee went all over the trouser legs of about 4 of us.
In GWR first class when they serve you at hot drink at your seat they put a plastic lid on the cup which you then remove seconds later when you start to drink it.

Well this discussion has been incredibly fascinating. But at any point has it been confirmed that official Virgin policy is not to issue coffee unless a paper bag is also provided?
The cup of coffee I was issued with yesterday without a bag (and countless times previous) would suggest no such provision actually exists.
You have missed out the group who assess each situation on its individual merits, rather than adopting an all or nothing approach to everything they encounter.
It's when you remove it that you can get scalded too! Bone china should be used - you're paying enough.![]()
I am pretty sure it is as I have tried to take one away without the bag and been told that I couldn't. I don't subscribe to the idea that reasonably practicable safety measures shouldn't be taken whilst questioning whether it is really necessary to refuse all sales of tea and coffee because the bags are not available. A happy medium can be struck.
Do many passengers, I wonder, accept the bag when they're told they must have it, pay, and them immediately dump the bag on the counter and leave with the coffee?
I think you're missing the point. If you take the coffee out of the bag and then spill it on someone (which is a regular occurrence), then that is entirely your fault. The train operator, and the buffet host, have done everything they can to reduce that risk.
I expect you would agree with me, however, that if my blind tests were carried out and it turned out that there was no taste difference, then giving people flavoured boiling water to carry through a train is the height of irresponsibility. See our earlier poster who is still nursing their wounds.
I think you're missing the point. If you take the coffee out of the bag and then spill it on someone (which is a regular occurrence), then that is entirely your fault. The train operator, and the buffet host, have done everything they can to reduce that risk.
From my experience, the vast majority of people are happy with a bag. Some even go so far as to request one immediately upon ordering. Occasionally you get someone who doesn't want one, but if you tell them it's just the policy then they're pretty happy to just take one.
I would hope very in much in this case that the person who refused to use the provided safety equipment and injurred would be held fully accountable, both civilly (funding the medical treatment, recovery, loss of earnings, and loss of quality of life) and criminally (GBH?)
Why not just carry a polythene bag in your pocket just in case they had run out of bags on the train ?
Graham
I am pretty sure it is as I have tried to take one away without the bag and been told that I couldn't. I don't subscribe to the idea that reasonably practicable safety measures shouldn't be taken whilst questioning whether it is really necessary to refuse all sales of tea and coffee because the bags are not available. A happy medium can be struck.
I'm of the old school tribe who take responsibility for their actions, and would concentrate on carrying my boiling drink (lidded) safely along a swaying train, rather than, for example, texting or carrying on a 'phone conversation at the same time.
I can see both sides of the discussion but would prefer not to have additional packaging forced upon me to account for those who need to wrapped in cotton wool to get through life. Hey ho.
Perhaps, but then I'm also losing the will to live! When you say "regular occurrence" - does this mean every five minutes or every decade? There is an infinite range within the term. There is also no limit on what the staff can do the minimise the perceived 'safety risk' - double bagging, treble bagging and so on, bagging and boxing and so on. OTT I know, but where does it end? Perhaps it doesn't end and we are destined to be forever more protected against ourselves.
I'm of the old school tribe who take responsibility for their actions, and would concentrate on carrying my boiling drink (lidded) safely along a swaying train, rather than, for example, texting or carrying on a 'phone conversation at the same time.
I can see both sides of the discussion but would prefer not to have additional packaging forced upon me to account for those who need to wrapped in cotton wool to get through life. Hey ho.