• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Trains' bizarre priorities - "quiet crockery"

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
Perhaps Virgin could have a coach with first class compartments for people who want more privacy/ less noise. That way there is no need for cheap looking quiet plastic cookery. We can continue with proper plates, glasses and cutlery! :)

The crockery wasn't made of plastic ,the glasses were glass and the knives, forks and spoons were metal - they did sit in plastic tray

Oh and I had a proper plate and cup:roll:
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ScotTrains

Member
Joined
13 Nov 2014
Messages
416
Location
Scotland
The crockery wasn't made of plastic ,the glasses were glass and the knives, forks and spoons were metal - they did sit in plastic tray

Oh and I had a proper plate and cup:roll:

I know it's only the saucer plate tray thing they have changed, I describe this in post 21 on the previous page. I was getting at the fact that if they change one thing what's to stop them changing another. Personally I still feel like it's a cost saving exercise, though they say otherwise. When most other 1st class operators (xc, tpe, scotrail etc) just have paper cups it's nice to have something a little nicer. Last week I was even given a teapot! These small details help make Virgin first class more enjoyable than other operators.
 

HH

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2009
Messages
4,505
Location
Essex
Sorry to burst your bubble, but the questionable premium payments that the franchise has made in its later years come nowhere near the ongoing taxpayer-funded cost of upgrading and maintaining the infrastructure which the franchise profits from: https://www.nao.org.uk/report/the-modernisation-of-the-west-coast-main-line/.

As for the idea that all research carried out by a company granted a monopoly to profit from stated-owned infrastructure is 'commercially confidential' whatever it relates to, you are entitled to your opinion.

1. What's questionable about them? Well apart from the DfT SNAFUs and VT are hardly to blame for that.
2. The infrastructure has needed upgrading since BR days and will continue to benefit whoever has the franchise in future, along with other users - it's not a VT monopoly at all!
3. You're not entitled to an opinion that has no basis in fact whatsoever.
 
Last edited:

sheff1

Established Member
Joined
24 Dec 2009
Messages
6,060
Location
Sheffield
3. You're not entitled to an opinion that has no basis in fact whatsoever.

Definition of opinion - a view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.
 

All Line Rover

Established Member
Joined
17 Feb 2011
Messages
5,270
2. The infrastructure has needed upgrading since BR days and will continue to benefit whoever has the franchise in future, along with other users - it's not a VT monopoly at all!

You're missing (or deliberately ignoring, which is only to be expected from Branston's resident PR man) the clear fact that the franchise's operation rests on milking state-owned infrastructure into which billions of pounds of taxpayer money has been invested. If BR were still in existence (which I, and it seems a majority of this forum's members, support), it would be accountable to MPs and, through them, the public. The East Coast franchise was, until recently, a case in point. Instead, Virgin benefits from just as much taxpayer subsidy yet has so accountability to the public. If the franchise made a net contribution to the exchequer I would understand your point.

EDIT: Just to be absolutely clear (in case this was not already obvious), I agree that Virgin is within its rights to withhold the results of any and all research it conducts. But it is equally entitled to release the results should it wish to do so, to support any statements it makes in public, particularly when we are discussing something as mundane (from a commercial secrets standpoint) as noise from crockery versus noise from fellow passengers! It's unfortunate that I didn't request the equivalent research from East Coast under the FOIA when I had the chance, which never occurred to me because Virgin gave no indication at the time that they were reconsidering the provision of quiet coaches under the West Coast franchise.
 
Last edited:

HH

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2009
Messages
4,505
Location
Essex
You're missing (or deliberately ignoring, which is only to be expected from Branston's resident PR man) the clear fact that the franchise's operation rests on milking state-owned infrastructure into which billions of pounds of taxpayer money has been invested. If BR were still in existence (which I, and it seems a majority of this forum's members, support), it would be accountable to MPs and, through them, the public. The East Coast franchise was, until recently, a case in point. Instead, Virgin benefits from just as much taxpayer subsidy yet has so accountability to the public. If the franchise made a net contribution to the exchequer I would understand your point.

1. I don't even like Branson (childish misspelling BTW); plenty of things to criticise Virgin for, I just don't think that yours have any basis.

2. They are not milking state-owned infrastructure; they are paying to use it - thrice! Unlike, say, Open Access operators (who pay only once).

3. Operators are accountable to the DfT, whether they are state-owned or private companies. That doesn't mean you can see every bit of information about them, even if they're state owned.
 

ScouserGirl

Member
Joined
28 Dec 2015
Messages
219
I noticed they have changed the mugs and spoons on the train, but I had to say the new mug is awful you don't get as much as you used to in it, and as for coach j being unreserved it's not true every time I use Virgin trains coach j is always reserved, it's coach k that is available,
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top