• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Trains advance booking questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

sn1975

Member
Joined
16 May 2011
Messages
154
Hi,

I have a couple of questions regarding advance booking with Virgin Trains.

Firstly, what is the deadline for advance booking?

Secondly, I would like to book one of the single seats around a table in first class ( are they called 1+1 seating? ).
Is it possible to choose one of these seats in the booking process and how likely is it that I will have to share the table with another passenger?

Many thanks.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,979
Location
Airedale
Hi,

I have a couple of questions regarding advance booking with Virgin Trains.

Secondly, I would like to book one of the single seats around a table in first class ( are they called 1+1 seating? ).
Is it possible to choose one of these seats in the booking process and how likely is it that I will have to share the table with another passenger?

Many thanks.

Sorry, Virgin don't allow you to choose your exact seat, unlike East Coast; the only way is to make a series of bookings until you get one that suits you, then delete all the others in your basket before you pay. Unfortunately doing that on advance tickets may exhaust the fares at that price level and therefore cost more.

As to having the second seat free, you can't generalise, but IIRC Pendolinos have one or two one - seat tables. There's a seating plan on the Virgin website, as well as, I hope, an answer to your other question.
 

horizonflame

Member
Joined
20 Oct 2012
Messages
122
I know from experience you can book your chosen seat at Virgin ticket offices - you can look up your advance tickets details online and then book at the ticket office though you may need to be quick!
 

table38

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
1,812
Location
Stalybridge
One trick to get a single seat in First Class is to book an Aisle Seat with a Power Socket
 

455driver

Veteran Member
Joined
10 May 2010
Messages
11,329
Dont forget to book the other seat as well so you can put your bags/coat there, just to make sure nobody else sits there! ;) :lol:

You are in luck if you ever travel on FGW because their refurbished 1st class HST carriages are airline style on the single side so you wont have to suffer the indignation of somebody sitting opposite you.
 

Squaddie

Member
Joined
6 Dec 2009
Messages
1,072
Location
London
Sorry, Virgin don't allow you to choose your exact seat, unlike East Coast; the only way is to make a series of bookings until you get one that suits you, then delete all the others in your basket before you pay. Unfortunately doing that on advance tickets may exhaust the fares at that price level and therefore cost more.
I tried this a couple of days ago, when attempting to book a return ticket from London to Glasgow, but without much success. Time after time, Virgin assigned me seats with no view, seats with limited view or seats opposite the service area. Eventually I had the maximum ten tickets in my basket but still no decent seats so I abandoned the idea.
You are in luck if you ever travel on FGW because their refurbished 1st class HST carriages are airline style on the single side so you wont have to suffer the indignation of somebody sitting opposite you.
I experienced FGW's new first class refurbishment yesterday. It looks very smart indeed, although I don't like the fact that almost all the single seats are airline-style because that makes it very difficult for two to travel comfortably together: the facing single seats were perfect for couples.

All in all, though, it's a long-overdue update to the current blue and grey FGW interior livery, which is now looking very tired and dated. The seats were comfortable and, due to the extended journey times, late running and lack of ticket checks, I managed to grab a long snooze between London and Swansea. :)
 

455driver

Veteran Member
Joined
10 May 2010
Messages
11,329
due to the extended journey times, late running and lack of ticket checks, I managed to grab a long snooze between London and Swansea. :)

Got to get your digs in havent you! :roll:

What service were you on, I will look up the reason for the delay!
 

455driver

Veteran Member
Joined
10 May 2010
Messages
11,329
I have had a quick look at Paddington to Swansea trains for Saturday and apart from one they were all within 10 minutes of time, so bearing in mind your 'delay', which service were you on!

Edit-
Soif we put asmillie on the end we can say whatever we want about anything or anybody then!
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top