• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Radio to relaunch on Virgin Train

Status
Not open for further replies.

miami

Established Member
Joined
3 Oct 2015
Messages
3,305
It's far cheaper than a satellite link but seems to be great quality as long as there is a good 4G signal. As the mobile networks roll out more 4G coverage I'd imagine satellite links for OB's will be used less and less.

It's not just the 4G. Various technologies can be used, all of which are cheaper than a full blown satelite truck and an engineer to operate it.

There's still a scope for dedicated satellite trucks, and certainly if you want to broadcast from any arbitary point in the British Isles a VSAT is very helpful. For news especially, things fall apart even in cities when there's a big event, and trying to broadcast from the middle of floods, or from a beech near whitehaven, or the Scottish highlands, you need some form of satelite. I saw on facebook that the liveu and wmts lasted a while with Brussels, but then collapsed. I remember a journalist complaining at a 2012 US convention that they had no 3G signal. "But it worked last week" they said. Before tens of thousands of people turned up.

Doing a broadcast from a fixed location is easy enough though - the internet is good enough to broadcast from pretty much anywhere you can get broadband. Myanmar and Cuba were the last real holdouts on that front.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

thenorthern

Established Member
Joined
27 May 2013
Messages
4,714
They removed quite a few seats from that Virgin Train and put a painted wall that was meant to look like bricks in the interior.
 

tellytype

Member
Joined
25 Feb 2016
Messages
131
For those who were following the tech stuff, 30 SIMs were employed & a Viprinet protected the link back to base with all the audio going over IP back to Hatfields :)
 

TUC

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2010
Messages
5,088
The train is due to sit in Crewe for 21 minutes, Birmingham International for 30 minutes and Rugby for 28 minutes, so I wouldn't be surprised if bands play during those times, meaning that they can rely on getting a stable transmission signal.

Which raises an interesting question about paths available on the WCML when the will is there.
 

Mikey C

Established Member
Joined
11 Feb 2013
Messages
8,277
But did they ask Fran Healy from Travis how he felt about Virgin Pendolinos in comparison to Mk3 carriages :D
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
But did they ask Fran Healy from Travis how he felt about Virgin Pendolinos in comparison to Mk3 carriages :D

I believe his response was

Lately, nothing seems to be going right

and when the Pendolino started tilting he added

I can't stand myself
I'm being held up by an invisible man


:D
 

ScouserGirl

Member
Joined
28 Dec 2015
Messages
219
I do remember years ago using the radio in-between the seats I was that young I listened to Virgin Kidz and it was Dick and Dom who hosted it haha!
 

Mikey C

Established Member
Joined
11 Feb 2013
Messages
8,277
I believe his response was

Lately, nothing seems to be going right

and when the Pendolino started tilting he added

I can't stand myself
I'm being held up by an invisible man


:D

Every day I wake up and it's Sunday
And there's a replacement bus between Rugby and Northampton
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top