• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

virgin group exercise and interview for station support assistant

Status
Not open for further replies.

lexy888

Member
Joined
10 Jul 2018
Messages
6
Any help would be appreciated , I have been asked to attend an group exercise and interview for station support assistant for LNER. is there anyone who has taken one of these can tell me what's involved please.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chanelle25

Member
Joined
10 Apr 2018
Messages
138
Any help would be appreciated , I have been asked to attend an group exercise and interview for station support assistant for LNER. is there anyone who has taken one of these can tell me what's involved please.
Hiya.

I had applied for the same role in April and did not hear from them. I sent an e-mail and received one back saying sorry we did not contact you but if any other roles become available do apply lol! So I did, and awaiting confirmation regarding my application form.
Did they contact you straight away? I completed the application form and that was it! Where are you hoping to work? The one of there website is for Peterborough and Kings Cross......
 

Chanelle25

Member
Joined
10 Apr 2018
Messages
138
I waited a few weeks, I am hoping to work at Newcastle.
Hiya.

Good luck with it. Im hoping to hear something soon, be it good or bad
Just a confused as to why they did not contact me even if my application was poor initially? Oh well will see how I go as I have re-applied as they are recruiting for Station Assistants......
 

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Joined
29 Sep 2016
Messages
3,414
Any help would be appreciated , I have been asked to attend an group exercise and interview for station support assistant for LNER. is there anyone who has taken one of these can tell me what's involved please.

Not sure if same, but I did a West Coast one. Started with a Maths test, then an English test. Then a Group exercise where you were all given a character and you were trapped in a cave, you had to come up with a list of the order you should be rescued in, bearing in mind you wouldn't all be rescued. After each test and exercise people were sent home if they didn't make the grade, Only those still standing after them all got an interview after.
 

Journeyman

Established Member
Joined
16 Apr 2014
Messages
6,295
Not sure if same, but I did a West Coast one. Started with a Maths test, then an English test. Then a Group exercise where you were all given a character and you were trapped in a cave, you had to come up with a list of the order you should be rescued in, bearing in mind you wouldn't all be rescued. After each test and exercise people were sent home if they didn't make the grade, Only those still standing after them all got an interview after.

Yup, I've been through something similar. As someone who is slightly introverted and not confident performing in front of a big group of people, I find these things an absolute nightmare, and Virgin's recruitment process is absolutely ghastly because of their insistence on it all being ZANY and WACKY and CRAZY and LOOK HOW MUCH FUN WE'RE HAVING. Basically if you can be brash and loud and confident in that sort of environment, you'll get the job even if you're totally unsuitable for it.
 

TheAlbanach_

Member
Joined
1 Jul 2017
Messages
142
Yup, I've been through something similar. As someone who is slightly introverted and not confident performing in front of a big group of people, I find these things an absolute nightmare, and Virgin's recruitment process is absolutely ghastly because of their insistence on it all being ZANY and WACKY and CRAZY and LOOK HOW MUCH FUN WE'RE HAVING. Basically if you can be brash and loud and confident in that sort of environment, you'll get the job even if you're totally unsuitable for it.

I have to disagree with that, the group exercises aren't about who shouts the loudest. If you do try and talk over everyone in that sort of interview you will fail .it's about how you comminute with others, and how you reason and debate with them.
 

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Joined
29 Sep 2016
Messages
3,414
Felt like a nightmare, but then again, I passed, so can't have been that bad! It's fairly basic stuff, the key is not to panic and rush. They don't expect you to do every question, but do every question that you do do correctly! That said, you still need to do enough. Speed AND accuracy is key, one without the other is no good.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top