• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Friday Eve Passenger Loadings MAN -> EUS

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeeGee

Member
Joined
24 Jul 2012
Messages
1,137
Location
Great Grimsby
Hi,

I'm travelling from Manchester - Milton Keynes Central next Friday night on the 19:55 out of Piccadilly.

I have an advance fare, thus a reserved seat. The seat I have is a restricted view one.

Now, I realise that I am supposed to sit in my reserved seat on an Advance ticket, but I have found on many occasions that the guard is generous enough to let me sit in an unallocated standard class seat if space allows.

I'm wondering, under normal circumstances, what the passenger load would be on this service. Will it be busy standing room only? Or are there likely to be empty seats around the train?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,478
Location
Yorkshire
There's a 40 minute gap (20 mins for previous departures) before that service, and it calls at quite a lot of stops, so I'd imagine it could get quite busy.

EC publish a rough idea of how busy Monday-Friday trains are, but I don't think Virgin Trains do this.
 

higthomas

Established Member
Joined
27 Nov 2012
Messages
1,227
If you can get there early enough, there will be two, I think, unreserved carriages, so you might be able to bag a good seat in one of these before they fill up.
 

Europa

Member
Joined
31 May 2014
Messages
10
Can you start boarding a Virgin in Manchester 20 min before departure, or are you free to board when the train arrives at the Station?
 

colchesterken

Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
768
I traveled on this train last week. I booked my ticket by phone direct with a virgin. I said I qanted a window seat. ( which is why I go by train, driving you just look at the road ahead )
Both out and back I was given D6/7 Both have no view just a blank plastic wall. So I picked a non reserved window seat, no ticket checks so no hassle .I think they give the grooty seats to the advance booked cheap seats,
Coming back it was not busy so I was OK .......Loved Manchester best bus museum I have ever been to 70 old busses in one place
 

rebmcr

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
4,005
Location
St Neots
I traveled on this train last week. I booked my ticket by phone direct with a virgin. I said I qanted a window seat. ( which is why I go by train, driving you just look at the road ahead )
Both out and back I was given D6/7 Both have no view just a blank plastic wall.

Window/Aisle is a bit of a misnomer. It should more accurately be Side/Aisle, especially because there is also a "View" option that can be added-on to the initial selection (easily seen on East Coast's website booking).
 

Chew Chew

Member
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
519
I traveled on this train last week. I booked my ticket by phone direct with a virgin. I said I qanted a window seat. ( which is why I go by train, driving you just look at the road ahead )
Both out and back I was given D6/7 Both have no view just a blank plastic wall. So I picked a non reserved window seat, no ticket checks so no hassle .I think they give the grooty seats to the advance booked cheap seats,
Coming back it was not busy so I was OK .......Loved Manchester best bus museum I have ever been to 70 old busses in one place

The information people in call centres give out is unbelievable these days. :lol::lol:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top