• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin First Class service north of Preston

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengolding

Member
Joined
31 Aug 2008
Messages
700
Location
Wentworth, Surrey
A Virgin TM told me that the Birmingham-Scotish Voyagers now offer an at-seat service in First Class Mon-Fri north of Preston, i.e. Preston-Glasgow/Edinburgh and v.v. This brings consistency to the whole Virgin route with all services now offering an at-seat service in First during weekdays.

If only the Voyager First Class breakfast offering could be improved. XC offer a rotating First menu with several hot and cold options on offer, it's a shame Virgin don't catch on with this on the Super Voyagers.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Failed Unit

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2009
Messages
9,809
Location
Central Belt
I must admit that you feel a bit of a poor relation if you get a Voyager compared to a pendo. If you travel 1st class from Glasgow - Preston at 07:35 you get a nice cooked breakfast for example, but leave 25minutes later and pay the same price you have to walk to the shop to get a soggy roll. With the revised seating in the coach the shop is in (B?) you may as well save yourself some cash and buy the soggy roll!

I would be nice to see the same product offered on all Virgin trains, the Voyagers offer Breakfast from Holyhead so why not on Brum - Scotland. I bet the pax from Crewe are not happy as they must use the Voyager now so they have had a downgrade in product for the same price.
 

350401

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2009
Messages
310
With the VWC Voyagers, the shop is in Coach D, First Class is Coach E. Not too long a walk. The main issue with first class in the Voyagers is that Coach D, which is 2+2 around tables, is used as 1st class on the Euston-Wales runs. Imagine paying for first, and having to sit in effectively standard class seating! But yes, agreed, Virgin really should improve their catering offer on the Voyagers.
 

Failed Unit

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2009
Messages
9,809
Location
Central Belt
With the VWC Voyagers, the shop is in Coach D, First Class is Coach E. Not too long a walk. The main issue with first class in the Voyagers is that Coach D, which is 2+2 around tables, is used as 1st class on the Euston-Wales runs. Imagine paying for first, and having to sit in effectively standard class seating! But yes, agreed, Virgin really should improve their catering offer on the Voyagers.

I know it isn't a long walk, but is anything a long walk on a voyager :lol: My point was really that you get at seat on the same route depending on where your train is going and pay the same price. At least with the 2+2 on the wales route you do get all the "frills" that the pendo's do. I guess people travelling from London - Crewe probably still avoid the Voyagers as much as the Glasgow - Warrington passegners do!
 

rail-britain

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2007
Messages
4,102
I would be nice to see the same product offered on all Virgin trains, the Voyagers offer Breakfast from Holyhead so why not on Brum - Scotland. I bet the pax from Crewe are not happy as they must use the Voyager now so they have had a downgrade in product for the same price.
I didn't get any cooked breakfasts on the Voyagers with the option; it was the all day breakfast bar (microwaved)
Certainly doesn't compare to the full breakfast options on a 390
Ironically, the VT breakfast bar is the same as the one offered to ScotRail sleeper passengers (free for First Class and £4 to standard)
 

bengolding

Member
Joined
31 Aug 2008
Messages
700
Location
Wentworth, Surrey
For those who use Nuneaton, there is no option but to use the damn Voyagers. The 07:34 to Euston is coupled with 2 Voyagers - one from Lancaster and another from Holyhead. Despite this, the only breakfast option is, as you say, a soggy unapetising bacon roll. Both the 17:10 and 18:10 north are double trains, but at least they offer the hot option, usually a very minimalistic boil in the bag bangers and mash. The last time I was on the 17:10, the 2+2 composite coach was First, which was hardly used compared with the proper First next door, which was full.

First Class catering on the Voyagers could be far better. I recall using the 14:17 Paddington-Glasgow to Leamington Spa several years back, just after Voyagers were started on that route. Then, I was offered a rather nice hot option from a dedicated First Class host.
 
Joined
27 Jan 2006
Messages
565
Great news long overdue, overever I do feel the voyager catering offer is far poorer than the pendolino, I was only ever offered a bacon panini and that was it! I was less than impressed.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top