• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Employee Travel Perks

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,546
Location
LBK
Just curious - especially if anyone here works for VT -

Virgin, on their careers website, mention travel perks for the railway: http://www.virgintrainscareers.co.uk/Exp/WhyVT-Benefits.aspx

Obviously permanent staff get a PRIV card, but I'm interested in their free travel. Free travel on Virgin trains only, or can you use, say a London Midland service between say Milton Keynes and Birmingham as it serves the same stations?

And the free first class travel, is it Sat/Sun only or does it work like Traveller Club where the "weekend" runds from Friday AM to Monday AM?

Thanks in advance!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
Just curious - especially if anyone here works for VT -

Virgin, on their careers website, mention travel perks for the railway: http://www.virgintrainscareers.co.uk/Exp/WhyVT-Benefits.aspx

Obviously permanent staff get a PRIV card, but I'm interested in their free travel. Free travel on Virgin trains only, or can you use, say a London Midland service between say Milton Keynes and Birmingham as it serves the same stations?

And the free first class travel, is it Sat/Sun only or does it work like Traveller Club where the "weekend" runds from Friday AM to Monday AM?

Thanks in advance!

Free travel on VT services only, NOT the London Midland etc examples you give.

First Class is for the 'true' weekend only: Saturday, Sundays, Back Holidays, and the Christmas-New Year period.

I AM NOT A VT EMPLOYEE.
 
Joined
9 Feb 2009
Messages
807
MattE2010 is spot on for the official rules....

..... In practise it is much better:D

I am a VT employee..
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,546
Location
LBK
MattE2010 is spot on for the official rules....

..... In practise it is much better:D

I am a VT employee..

How's it better? Do you just get waved onto first class in the week if there's space? Lol.
 

TheBigD

Established Member
Joined
19 Nov 2008
Messages
2,043
How's it better? Do you just get waved onto first class in the week if there's space? Lol.

It will be the same on most TOC's. If you can be bothered to ask the guard* then it's rarely a problem.

* or whatever vacuous title the TOC is using this week!
 

scotsman

Established Member
Joined
6 Jul 2010
Messages
3,252
Given that a friend of mine (not involved in the railways at all) was offered a seat in 1st Class because the TM got talking to me and found out I was a Steward, I'd say it's pretty good!
 

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,295
When i was younger my mate had a priv we bought tickets from Glasgow to Anywhere for £2 . We got waved into first class a few times . I dont know how we got away with it.
 

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
It will be the same on most TOC's. If you can be bothered to ask the guard* then it's rarely a problem.

* or whatever vacuous title the TOC is using this week!

Indeed, it also means that should something happen then the staff member may be able to assist the guard/on board crew.
 

ph1985

Member
Joined
10 Nov 2010
Messages
42
If you're senior enough your entire family gets free first class travel across the whole network. I used to work with a guy who commuted 2 hours each direction to London every day using the travelpass because his father was someone high up at Virgin Trains.
 

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
Joined
8 Oct 2010
Messages
2,662
I speak to and get on with alot of VT staff however what is it about a small percentage of your RPI's, do they get trained in the Jobsworth school of annoyance or what! a colleague of mine got refused Travel between Pic and stockport because he wasn't VT, very very sad
 

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,295
I speak to and get on with alot of VT staff however what is it about a small percentage of your RPI's, do they get trained in the Jobsworth school of annoyance or what! a colleague of mine got refused Travel between Pic and stockport because he wasn't VT, very very sad
Ive found the virgin guards on the whole to be younger and there seems to be a lot more females as train managers .


 

Mr Spock

Member
Joined
14 Jan 2008
Messages
608
If you're senior enough your entire family gets free first class travel across the whole network. I used to work with a guy who commuted 2 hours each direction to London every day using the travelpass because his father was someone high up at Virgin Trains.

I was under the impression that travel perks for non staff (family members)are for leisure use only and that once a family member started work then they "lost" their travel perks so I can only think that this was some sort of fiddle.

The same applies for retired staff who must not use their perks for commuting to work if they get another job although I know it happens.
 

Geezertronic

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2009
Messages
4,125
Location
Birmingham
Ive found the virgin guards on the whole to be younger and there seems to be a lot more females as train managers .



I'll agree with you about the ladies but I'd say there are a fair few older male train managers with VT, probably more I would say than younger males (in my experience anyway).
 

scotsman

Established Member
Joined
6 Jul 2010
Messages
3,252
I find VT crews tend to be the friendliest, and most laid back of all the TOCs, VXC used to be the case until Arriva began their reign of terror
 

CarterUSM

Established Member
Joined
4 Jan 2010
Messages
2,495
Location
North Britain
I was under the impression that travel perks for non staff (family members)are for leisure use only and that once a family member started work then they "lost" their travel perks so I can only think that this was some sort of fiddle.

The same applies for retired staff who must not use their perks for commuting to work if they get another job although I know it happens.

You are correct. It is actually reasonably enforced where i am, usually by the dependants mother/father/spouse concerned.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,546
Location
LBK
Free First Class travel sounds good....is it an "unwritten" rule amongst that Priv holders get waved into 1st (space permitting obviously) if they ask nicely?
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
Free First Class travel sounds good....is it an "unwritten" rule amongst that Priv holders get waved into 1st (space permitting obviously) if they ask nicely?

On VT, I think Virgin Trains staff would, I don't know about Privb holders who work for SE or c2c for example.
 

Helvellyn

Established Member
Joined
28 Aug 2009
Messages
2,581
I speak to and get on with alot of VT staff however what is it about a small percentage of your RPI's, do they get trained in the Jobsworth school of annoyance or what! a colleague of mine got refused Travel between Pic and stockport because he wasn't VT, very very sad

Why's it staff being a jobsworth when it involves other staff, but doing their job and enfiorcing the rules when dealing with the public? Travel facilities are a perk ("Privelege" is not a right) yet some staff seem to think they are permitted to use facilities to which they are not entitled.
 

Andrew Nelson

Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
702
Why's it staff being a jobsworth when it involves other staff, but doing their job and enfiorcing the rules when dealing with the public? Travel facilities are a perk ("Privelege" is not a right) yet some staff seem to think they are permitted to use facilities to which they are not entitled.

Just remember "All forum Members are Equal, (but some are more Equal than others)"
 

CarterUSM

Established Member
Joined
4 Jan 2010
Messages
2,495
Location
North Britain
Why's it staff being a jobsworth when it involves other staff, but doing their job and enfiorcing the rules when dealing with the public? Travel facilities are a perk ("Privelege" is not a right) yet some staff seem to think they are permitted to use facilities to which they are not entitled.

This is being tackled nowadays with commercial notices prevalent in reminding staff this isn't acceptable . However, a minority of staff will bother with it, and being honest, out of all the staff i've asked, i've been refused once in 8 odd years, only because there were 7 first class seats or something.
 

Pumbaa

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2008
Messages
5,022
Just remember "All forum Members are Equal, (but some are more Equal than others)"

Whats that meant to mean? You're unnecessarily rude and talk down to others who are trying to help - of course you're not going to be favoured by other members.
 

Andrew Nelson

Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
702
Whats that meant to mean? You're unnecessarily rude and talk down to others who are trying to help - of course you're not going to be favoured by other members.

No, those who seem to work on the Network, seem to see "Customers" as an Irritation not as the People who are putting up with a poor service, and woe betide anyone who has the audacity to complain.
 

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
Joined
8 Oct 2010
Messages
2,662
Why's it staff being a jobsworth when it involves other staff, but doing their job and enfiorcing the rules when dealing with the public? Travel facilities are a perk ("Privelege" is not a right) yet some staff seem to think they are permitted to use facilities to which they are not entitled.

we Are ONE Railway, I never charge my fellow colleagues, have you heard yourself, I hope you never need help from other railway folk with an attitude like that, I do not charge Railway folk for a couple of reasons, I believe we are all in this together, doing petty things like charging colleagues only breeds discord between us and also when the s**t hits the fan I would like to think I would get help when needed off my fellow professionals, stop dividing the railway and Make it whole like it should be
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
No, those who seem to work on the Network, seem to see "Customers" as an Irritation not as the People who are putting up with a poor service, and woe betide anyone who has the audacity to complain.

A poor service due to numerous governments, I would say 99% of staff do there up most best for the passengers, People like yourself seem to just want to cause an argument, well you can do that in your own little world, and hope that one day your attitude won't go against you when YOU need help!
 

Andrew Nelson

Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
702
we Are ONE Railway, I never charge my fellow colleagues, have you heard yourself, I hope you never need help from other railway folk with an attitude like that, I do not charge Railway folk for a couple of reasons, I believe we are all in this together, doing petty things like charging colleagues only breeds discord between us and also when the s**t hits the fan I would like to think I would get help when needed off my fellow professionals, stop dividing the railway and Make it whole like it should be
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


A poor service due to numerous governments, I would say 99% of staff do there up most best for the passengers, People like yourself seem to just want to cause an argument, well you can do that in your own little world, and hope that one day your attitude won't go against you when YOU need help!

Just proved My point.
Thankyou

All Railway employees are equal, and above mere "Passengers".
 

Mr Spock

Member
Joined
14 Jan 2008
Messages
608
Even when it was BR staff were still expected to have a ticket/pass,etc so I do not see why they expect to travel free without these today.

I can accept some short journeys (after asking) but to many rail staff seem to think they have the right to travel when they want, where they want and how they want(1st class) without having a ticket of any sort.

I have seen staff (mostly DBS drivers) in dirty overalls just boarding trains and sitting in first class without even a nod at the TM and on occasions just ignore the TM or even sneer at him if even as much says hello.

ANorthernGuard - does your largesse apply to dependants as well?

Just because a TM does not let you and your colleagues travel free does not mean to say that he will not help you if it was needed.

I worked on the railways for 38 years and I ALWAYS used a valid ticket be it for work or leisure.
 

Fred26

Member
Joined
5 Mar 2010
Messages
1,107
I work on the railway. I get a lot of free travel as well as my Priv discount. All of my perks are in Standard Class. I have only asked to travel in First Class once, at the insistence of my girlfriend, from York to Kings Cross. I don't like sitting where I'm not supposed to, because, quite simply, I'm not entitled to it. No, I don't want your free tea, coffee and orange juice. Nor do I want your free biscuits or anything else for that matter. I want a nice seat in standard class. Thanks. (For instance, when I travelled up to Inverness recently, I sat in coach B, airline, travelling backwards. The train was very busy, but I had no intention of asking for free First Class.)

On the subject of paying for tickets, I always buy a ticket or fill in a box. Recently the Guard on a Northern train said 'I was alright', when I asked for a ticket, but that was his decision. I do not ask for favours. If something then went wrong, presuming I was sober, I'd help a colleague anyway.

I am happy with the perks I get and know that I could never afford to travel (as much as I do) if I had to pay full fare.
 

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
Joined
8 Oct 2010
Messages
2,662
Even when it was BR staff were still expected to have a ticket/pass,etc so I do not see why they expect to travel free without these today.

I can accept some short journeys (after asking) but to many rail staff seem to think they have the right to travel when they want, where they want and how they want(1st class) without having a ticket of any sort.

I have seen staff (mostly DBS drivers) in dirty overalls just boarding trains and sitting in first class without even a nod at the TM and on occasions just ignore the TM or even sneer at him if even as much says hello.

ANorthernGuard - does your largesse apply to dependants as well?

Just because a TM does not let you and your colleagues travel free does not mean to say that he will not help you if it was needed.

I worked on the railways for 38 years and I ALWAYS used a valid ticket be it for work or leisure.

The way myself my dad/grandad have always looked at it is like this, what is the harm in helping your colleagues out just to gain a little bit of revenue, I have newer abused or expected, however, we take alot of the Virgin staff to work/home etc on our local services, Now if I did want to travel to say somewhere like London I would ask the guard (TM same as guard just a bigger train) (same rulebook) if I could travel if he said no yes i would be rather p'ed off but accept it but I would take his name for the simple reason let him/her explain to thier colleagues why they now have to pay and see the attitudes then change, since the railway has been fractured its always seem to be a them Vs. us mentality which needs to end for the benefit of ALL railway staff and dependents( and yes if I knew someone was taking the p I would make it very clear what would happen) we should be looking after each other not going against each other, its a sad state of affairs

Pettyness goes both ways
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top