87015
Established Member
Believe the purchase deal for 240 was for it to be provided working - so expect the seller is paying for 403 as a replacement until its ready, rather than Vintage themselves
47s are a bit rancid, 37s are worth doing.Why on earth would they waste money hiring in a third party loco when they have 47773 sitting idle at Tyseley? That makes zero sense. They must have money to burn.
47s are a bit rancid, 37s are worth doing.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.I'm sorry for your lack of discernment.
Seconded47s are a bit rancid, 37s are worth doing.
Pretty sure 37s were available when Tyseley acquired 47773, but they knew what they wanted to buy. An ETH 47 was a far more suitable loco for what VT needed and need and it keeps the punters warm too, although I assume 37403 can also do that, but 37240 cannot.47s are a bit rancid, 37s are worth doing.
I assume, based on the services they plan to run, 47773 will sit on the back of them all as a combination of insurance and heater.Pretty sure 37s were available when Tyseley acquired 47773, but they knew what they wanted to buy. An ETH 47 was a far more suitable loco for what VT needed and need and it keeps the punters warm too, although I assume 37403 can also do that, but 37240 cannot.
I believe that at the time Tyseley acquired 47773 EWS were rather reluctant in letting ETH fitted 37/4s go to other mainline operators. (Cutting massive holes in the likes of 404 and 431 ring any bells?)Pretty sure 37s were available when Tyseley acquired 47773, but they knew what they wanted to buy. An ETH 47 was a far more suitable loco for what VT needed and need and it keeps the punters warm too, although I assume 37403 can also do that, but 37240 cannot.
Yes. I realise 37/4s were not an option, but there were plenty of boilered and no heat 37s. I guess Bob Meanley could have reactivated the class 37 boiler given their abilities on steam, but the "Queen Mom" was their choice. I know it is a 47, and some folk don't like 47s, but hey.I believe that at the time Tyseley acquired 47773 EWS were rather reluctant in letting ETH fitted 37/4s go to other mainline operators. (Cutting massive holes in the likes of 404 and 431 ring any bells?)
For example it’s worth remembering that DRS acquired 407 and 424 from from the headshunt at Cheddleton from a private owner, they weren’t a direct sale from EWS to DRS.
For example it’s worth remembering that DRS acquired 407 and 424 from from the headshunt at Cheddleton from a private owner, they weren’t a direct sale from EWS to DRS.
and some folk don't like 47s, but hey.
Absolutely, I don't mind any of them but wasn't keen on the 31s when they eradicated the 25s on the LMR. Time has passed now though !!!!Similarly, some folk don't like 37s.
I think our usernames are a bit of a giveawaySimilarly, some folk don't like 37s.
I think our usernames are a bit of a giveaway![]()
Absolutely, I don't mind any of them but wasn't keen on the 31s when they eradicated the 25s on the LMR. Time has passed now though !!!!
I’d be a bit disappointed though booking on a tour advertised as being 37 hauled only to find out it’s a spoon. It might be a bonus for you and your friends but I know so many people whose reaction would be to stick 2 fingers up and walk away.You might be on to something...
It's all a bit strange tbh. 47773 has served Vintage well for years, now they've got a 37 which doesn't work, is in bits and has to be covered by another loco coming 300 miles to help out. Bizarre.
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
Me neither. The 25s were great little locos and the drivers I spoke to were less than complimentary about their replacements.
I’d be a bit disappointed though booking on a tour advertised as being 37 hauled only to find out it’s a spoon. It might be a bonus for you and your friends but I know so many people whose reaction would be to stick 2 fingers up and walk away.
Because people don’t want to sit on a Duff.My point was rather why did they need a 37 at all, when 47773 has been used without issue for many years? It's dual braked and can provide train supply, which 37240 cannot.
And once the decision to acquire a 37 was made, shouldn't it have been ascertained that it was fit for traffic first?
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
Because people don’t want to sit on a Duff.
As earlier, i dont believe Vintage are spending any money on 403 vice 240, the provider of 240 is because its not ready as part of the purchase deal.So you're saying it makes good business sense to have a perfectly serviceable ETH loco sat idle whilst you spend good money on another loco which can't provide ETH and doesn't even work?
It has been fit for traffic though it’s been out working for Colas we don’t know what’s up with 240 it could be something like awaiting parts that are caught up in a backlog somewhere.My point was rather why did they need a 37 at all, when 47773 has been used without issue for many years? It's dual braked and can provide train supply, which 37240 cannot.
And once the decision to acquire a 37 was made, shouldn't it have been ascertained that it was fit for traffic first?
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
Much as you’re biased towards 47’s they do have their limitations.
If you’re really that concerned why not express those concerns with those in charge at VT?
Rather simple really VT were offered a tractor, they bought it and theres a fault found on it, another 37’s been offered for use on tours that have been advertised with 37 haulage that’s it. Quite simple reallyI'm sure 47s do have their limitations, but not as much as a 37 which doesn't work. It doesn't affect me what they use, I'm just trying to understand the logic involved.
Rather simple really VT were offered a tractor, they bought it and theres a fault found on it, another 37’s been offered for use on tours that have been advertised with 37 haulage that’s it. Quite simple really
But if they had been running diesel trips with it, and nobody was booking on it, what’s the point? If you’re barely breaking even or losing money, but can sell out behind a 37 with the hire fee still leaving room for a clear profit, that’s what a business decision is.So you're saying it makes good business sense to have a perfectly serviceable ETH loco sat idle whilst you spend good money on another loco which can't provide ETH and doesn't even work?
What if they want to use their assets in the other 6 days of a week between March and November and make more money for the charity, such that it can reinvest? Silly silly.Fair enough. Even simpler perhaps would be to concentrate on their core business, ie running the Shakespeare Express and occasional main line steam tour.
And what happens if we have a summer like last summer? The acquisition of 240 isn’t a bad move in the sense that whilst it might be a big outlay at the time it does save you having to hire in traction like last summer with the 20’s and having to pay someone else to use their machinery.Fair enough. Even simpler perhaps would be to concentrate on their core business, ie running the Shakespeare Express and occasional main line steam tour.
I’d be one of those who wouldn’t pay for a day out with 47773, 37240 on the other hand though…But if they had been running diesel trips with it, and nobody was booking on it, what’s the point? If you’re barely breaking even or losing money, but can sell out behind a 37 with the hire fee still leaving room for a clear profit, that’s what a business decision is.
Amazingly, almost nobody wants to go for a day trip to Llandudno or whatever with 47773. In fact, most people would actively seek to avoid it!
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
Usual cretinous comment. What if they want to use their assets in the other 6 days of a week between March and November and make more money for the charity, such that it can reinvest? Silly silly.
Clearly it does affect you given how frequently you're banging on about the 47 not being used. Anybody would think it were the last 47 on earth.I'm sure 47s do have their limitations, but not as much as a 37 which doesn't work. It doesn't affect me what they use, I'm just trying to understand the logic involved.
Interesting, didn’t know about the thin tyres, could possibly answer a few questions to a certain someone.The 47 has thin tyres, having something else to hand isn't necessary a bad thing. It is very well loved at Tyseley and has worked hard for the last couple of years, variety is the spice of life as it were.
At the risk of outing myself as a 'normie', when you are onboard you can't see what is pulling you, right? It is all about logging miles and chains behind your favourite duff/tractor?Because people don’t want to sit on a Duff.
If I go on a charter these days, I avoid most promoters because they use sodding Air Con Mk2s - so you can’t hear anything.At the risk of outing myself as a 'normie', when you are onboard you can't see what is pulling you, right? It is all about logging miles and chains behind your favourite duff/tractor?
You can't really claim a 37 pulls differently, from a passenger perspective.
I'm team tractor, btw. Especially if 37403 was on offer.