• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Vienna and Bratislava, including the Semmering Railway

Barnsley

Member
Joined
20 Feb 2010
Messages
332
Location
Barnsley
On Friday 16th January, I finished my night shift at Hull station, then onto the 0543 to York, which connected with the 0657 to Manchester Piccadilly, bonus, as it doesn’t go via Leeds, arrived at Manchester at 0750, then over to Platform 14 for a pair of 323s to the Airport, I hated 323s when they first came out, as they replaced the 304s and 305s, but I’ve now got a soft spot for them because of the noise they make!

Then, after an easy check-in and security experience, it was into the Amber Alehouse in Terminal 2 for a pint before the flight

Then it was time to board the flight to Heathrow, G-NEOP did the honours

IMG_4260.jpeg
Then, after the bus transfer to T3, it was time for the Lounge Crawl, Qantas, Aa, and BA, quick bottle in each, then onto the flight to Vienna

After landing, it was off to Wien Mitte station to get the U-bahn to Kettenbrückengasse and walk to the Holiday Inn, which would be my base

The next day, I went to Wien Hbf and the excellent Admiral Sports Bar within the station for a couple of pints before boarding the train to Bratislava, and this was it! Complete with compartment coaches, it’s a joint operation of the Austrian and Slovakian railways, there’s usually a Slovakian loco and Austrian coaches, and a Crew change at Marchegg, the Austrian Crew are relieved by a Slovakian crew, thorough ticket check by both, and both knew what my FIP coupons were, which was a bonus

IMG_4292.jpegIMG_4293.jpeg
It was the same sort of train back

The next day was the one my friend was looking forward to, a trip on the Railjet over the Semmering railway, soon to be bypassed by a tunnel, which looked to be complete when we passed Gloggnitz, I could see the portals, and at Mursuchlagg, where they have a dive-under, anyway, we arrived at Wien Hbf to find our train, after the customary drinks in the Admiral beforehand, and it was this!

IMG_4284.jpegThis took us to Kapfenberg, which is a nice little town, which I have been to before, I told my friend I picked it because it has an Admiral bar right next to the station!!


Beers had, was time to go for the train back to Wien, which was packed! We had to wait until we could get into the bar/restaurant coach, but when we did, we ordered food, I got a Scnitzel burger, he got Schnitzel and potatoes194ea68a-3a45-42a4-bdcc-50a5a3ff682f.jpegIt was really nice aswell (I hate describing food as ‘tasty’!)

Anyway that’s it for my first trip report, please don’t be too harsh lol, I’m off to Warsaw in the morning!!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,985
Location
Airedale
I was thrown by your thread title, but fortunately you weren't so geographically challenged :) Great report.
 

Barnsley

Member
Joined
20 Feb 2010
Messages
332
Location
Barnsley
I was thrown by your thread title, but fortunately you weren't so geographically challenged :) Great report.
Thanks!! Just realised how the title looked, I’ve changed it! My own fault for typing in the pub on a Sunday afternoon!!
 

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Joined
22 Feb 2011
Messages
21,942
Location
Mold, Clwyd
It took me a while, some years ago, to realise the difference between Semmering (scenic and historic mountain pass on the Südbahn to Graz), and Simmering (urban district in south-east Vienna, and station on the Ostbahn).
 

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2009
Messages
3,424
Location
S Yorks, usually
the train to Bratislava, and this was it! Complete with compartment coaches, it’s a joint operation of the Austrian and Slovakian railways, there’s usually a Slovakian loco and Austrian coaches
Just to add to this, I recently saw a few of these Wien/Bratislava trains: a mixture of Austrian and Slovakian locos (both Vectron types), and coaches from both countries, sometimes mixed in the same rake, and a mixture of open and compartment stock, occasionally with NightJet-liveried Austrian ones (seat cars of course!). I travelled on ÖBB opens (not compartment) both ways.
With a big loco and 5-6 coaches, the acceleration is pretty good on the straight bit W of Marchegg!
 

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,312
Nice report, I was in this area a few days ago.

A few years ago, there was only an EMU service between Vienna and Bratislava Petrzalka as there was work on the other line.

A few days ago I took the Eurocity 71 from Vienna to Graz over the Semmering , sat in one of OBBs open carriages. I never really noticed much of the tunnel construction.
 

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2009
Messages
3,424
Location
S Yorks, usually
Nice report, I was in this area a few days ago.

A few years ago, there was only an EMU service between Vienna and Bratislava Petrzalka as there was work on the other line.

A few days ago I took the Eurocity 71 from Vienna to Graz over the Semmering , sat in one of OBBs open carriages. I never really noticed much of the tunnel construction.
The Petrzalka service still runs as an EMU.
Semmering base tunnel construction is visible a bit from the train at Gloggnitz on the S side of the line. Tunnel entrance roughly centre in my photos here:
IMG_0969.jpeg
IMG_0968.jpeg
 
Last edited:

Top