• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Videos Of Class 373 Startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doomotron

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2018
Messages
1,427
Location
Kent
I remember a really good video on YouTube of a 373 set with 3999 on test at Ashford a few years ago, and the startup sounds after the pantograph raised were amazing. However not only does that video seem to have gone, I can find no videos on YouTube of a 373 startup at all. If anybody has links to videos with the startup I'd really appreciate it if you could send them.

I believe the specific video I remember was posted by either HSTHoward or Choo Choo Plane, but anything will do really.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DanNCL

Established Member
Joined
17 Jul 2017
Messages
5,123
Location
County Durham
I remember a really good video on YouTube of a 373 set with 3999 on test at Ashford a few years ago, and the startup sounds after the pantograph raised were amazing. However not only does that video seem to have gone, I can find no videos on YouTube of a 373 startup at all. If anybody has links to videos with the startup I'd really appreciate it if you could send them.

I believe the specific video I remember was posted by either HSTHoward or Choo Choo Plane, but anything will do really.
Many videos of trains at Ashford or Lille-Europe will feature at least one 373, often several. Search for either of those and you should find something quite quickly.
 

Doomotron

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2018
Messages
1,427
Location
Kent
Not what I meant. The train accelerating isn't what I'm looking for. The actual startup procedure (batteries, circuit breakers, pantographs, etc) is what I'm struggling to find.
 

Doomotron

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2018
Messages
1,427
Location
Kent
Ah, that's the one. Originally it was a separate video but that bit is indeed the one I was looking for, thank you a lot.
 

Jturner98

Member
Joined
2 Jan 2021
Messages
320
Location
Kent
That’s ok, they may be more on YouTube but that’s the first one I could find. Never get tired of watching a class 373 startup
 

D365

Veteran Member
Joined
29 Jun 2012
Messages
13,195
Circuit breakers shouldn’t normally be used as part of a vehicle starting procedure. In the majority of cases, breakers aren’t intended to be operated as switches.
 

Elecman

Established Member
Joined
31 Dec 2013
Messages
3,582
Location
Lancashire
Circuit breakers shouldn’t normally be used as part of a vehicle starting procedure. In the majority of cases, breakers aren’t intended to be operated as switches.
There is no problem technically using circuit breakers as switches as they are designed to make onto and break fault current that is way in excess of nominal load current
 

D365

Veteran Member
Joined
29 Jun 2012
Messages
13,195
There is no problem technically using circuit breakers as switches as they are designed to make onto and break fault current that is way in excess of nominal load current
Technically not, but it depends how the breakers are designed. For example, the breakers in my electrical installations aren’t intended for regular operations.
 

dosxuk

Established Member
Joined
2 Jan 2011
Messages
2,443
A lot depends on what is meant by regular operation. I don't know about circuit breakers in use by the rail industry, but even cheap ones in industrial use are often rated to 10000 operations - obviously not suitable as a general on/off switch, but more than suitable for a turn on at start of day, off at the end - you'll get over 25 years of life with that sort of usage.
 

D365

Veteran Member
Joined
29 Jun 2012
Messages
13,195
My worst-case estimates would include the driver changing ends on a multiple unit, several times per day.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top