• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Very unusual PC Move from Mon May 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stacey

Member
Joined
8 May 2009
Messages
283
Location
Stourbridge
On Monday a very unusual move produced from St Philips Marsh to Laira on an 0Z77...
43172 headed down without a barrier vehicle - it looks very odd and a shot before just before work limited me to just Newton Abbot -
did anyone else get this move? I wouldn't have like to have thought about if the PC had failed....!
http://www.staceys-fots.fotopic.net/p58184608.html
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

westcoaster

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2006
Messages
4,508
Location
DTOS A or B
im right in thinking that, this move will be speed restricted? anyone know what speed it was able to do 60-70mph.
 

37402

Member
Joined
15 May 2007
Messages
532
More than willing to be corrected here, but are HST powercar light engine speeds not higher than conventional locos due to the presence of both tread and disc brakes?
 

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
Great shot, :)

Power cars can move under their own power from A to B as it has been done in the past but it's usually done with a barrier vehicle and a loco so well done to getting this rare photo.
 

90019

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2008
Messages
6,891
Location
Featherstone, West Yorkshire
More than willing to be corrected here, but are HST powercar light engine speeds not higher than conventional locos due to the presence of both tread and disc brakes?

I thought it was a blanket limit of 70 for all locos running light?
 
Last edited:

Stacey

Member
Joined
8 May 2009
Messages
283
Location
Stourbridge
Thanks for the comments, I really didn't know the gen regarding the speed limits and whatnot of the PC so that's ideal it's been posted!!

Yeah that shot was one of those where I waited on that bridge for a good 45mins before it turned up and then it was a very quick RA to the bus to get to work!! I was almost willing to taxi it to work just to get a shot!! lol :D:lol:
 

Ferret

Established Member
Joined
22 Jan 2009
Messages
4,131
More than willing to be corrected here, but are HST powercar light engine speeds not higher than conventional locos due to the presence of both tread and disc brakes?

Did a bit of digging today and I'm told that 2 PCs running back to back can run at 125mph but (and I quote!) 'I don't know many who'd be daft enough to try it!' Didn't get a definitive answer on the max speed of a single PC though...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top