Vectron
Member
- Joined
- 11 Dec 2017
- Messages
- 33
EDIT: For those with an aversion/no interest in European railways there are reports of UK trips (recent and historic) further down.
Every year I spend a week in Germany aiming to cover all the lines in an area used by regular services but my priority is always lines that are threatened with closure, so frequently my trips are to two or three places. Recently I've also started to include diversionary routes and other rare track in my itineraries.
I keep a trip log of trains and routes, and anything else that’s of interest. The notes are occasionally written during the day but more usually in the evening or days later - assuming I can decipher my scribbled notes! The log also includes comments about the itinerary, and for my own amusement I usually give each trip and each day a title, which can be a challenge after a dull day.
For those that like to follow routes a map is available here:
http://www.bueker.net/trainspotting/map.php?file=maps/germany/germany.gif
The German railways numbering system can be found here:
http://www.railfaneurope.net/misc_index.html
A useful guide to rolling stock used by TOCs (not just in Germany) is:
http://www.railfaneurope.net/list/germany.html

Every year I spend a week in Germany aiming to cover all the lines in an area used by regular services but my priority is always lines that are threatened with closure, so frequently my trips are to two or three places. Recently I've also started to include diversionary routes and other rare track in my itineraries.
I keep a trip log of trains and routes, and anything else that’s of interest. The notes are occasionally written during the day but more usually in the evening or days later - assuming I can decipher my scribbled notes! The log also includes comments about the itinerary, and for my own amusement I usually give each trip and each day a title, which can be a challenge after a dull day.
For those that like to follow routes a map is available here:
http://www.bueker.net/trainspotting/map.php?file=maps/germany/germany.gif
The German railways numbering system can be found here:
http://www.railfaneurope.net/misc_index.html
A useful guide to rolling stock used by TOCs (not just in Germany) is:
http://www.railfaneurope.net/list/germany.html

Last edited: