I've seen a number of reports that Vauxhall bus station, adjacent to Vauxhall rail and Tube station, is to be demolished and the site redeveloped including two new high rise apartment blocks with a new bus station on the ground floor. According to the Wikipedia entry on Vauxhall bus station, the demolition was approved in April 2020, yet three and a half years later I haven't seen any sign of work having started on the demolition of the bus station. Does anyone know what is happening there? I would guess that the Covid pandemic may have delayed work on the project.
I believe that Vauxhall bus station was only built in 2004, and according to Wikipedia Lambeth Council and TfL first announced plans to demolish it in 2013. Although demolition hasn't started yet (or hadn't started last time I was there last month), it could be yet another example of a short-lived building, other examples of which are discussed in this thread:
I believe that Vauxhall bus station was only built in 2004, and according to Wikipedia Lambeth Council and TfL first announced plans to demolish it in 2013. Although demolition hasn't started yet (or hadn't started last time I was there last month), it could be yet another example of a short-lived building, other examples of which are discussed in this thread:
TRIVIA: Buildings that were demolished soon after being built
Can you think of any examples of buildings that were demolished soon after they were completed? This can include examples from the UK or abroad. I wonder what is the record for the shortest time between a building being completed and being demolished? I believe that when the Croydon Tramlink...
www.railforums.co.uk