Randomer
Member
- Joined
- 31 Jul 2017
- Messages
- 358
Hello all,
A brief question involving use of an Off-Peak (in this case validity B1 Not valid on trains timed to depart after 0429 and before 0930) ticket starting a journey from an intermediate station.
Essentially, I wish to travel from station B - C it is cheaper to buy a ticket from station A - B - C to take advantage of a different TOC setting the price of this ticket to be cheaper than the B - C journey. As I understand this would be valid under Section 16.4 of the NRCOT:
However, my question falls in the area of the time restriction of the ticket. From my reading of the conditions as long as the train I travel on starts the journey from station B after 0930 then the ticket is valid, which I then did. On trying to carry out the journey last week the conductor of the service was of the opinion that the ticket may not be valid due to the train I am starting the journey on having passed through the station A before 0930?
To be completely fair to the conductor he also was quite honest about not being sure; didn't try to excess, penalty fair or TIR me and stated politely he would check with his TOC before taking any other action. In most cases a change of service at station B is necessary to complete the A-B-C journey so being on one of the few services to travel A-B-C direct seems to have been the issue.
A brief question involving use of an Off-Peak (in this case validity B1 Not valid on trains timed to depart after 0429 and before 0930) ticket starting a journey from an intermediate station.
Essentially, I wish to travel from station B - C it is cheaper to buy a ticket from station A - B - C to take advantage of a different TOC setting the price of this ticket to be cheaper than the B - C journey. As I understand this would be valid under Section 16.4 of the NRCOT:
(Generally, you may start, or break and resume, a journey (in either direction
in the case of a return Ticket) at any intermediate station, as long as the
Ticket you hold is valid for the trains you want to use.
However, my question falls in the area of the time restriction of the ticket. From my reading of the conditions as long as the train I travel on starts the journey from station B after 0930 then the ticket is valid, which I then did. On trying to carry out the journey last week the conductor of the service was of the opinion that the ticket may not be valid due to the train I am starting the journey on having passed through the station A before 0930?
To be completely fair to the conductor he also was quite honest about not being sure; didn't try to excess, penalty fair or TIR me and stated politely he would check with his TOC before taking any other action. In most cases a change of service at station B is necessary to complete the A-B-C journey so being on one of the few services to travel A-B-C direct seems to have been the issue.