• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Utilising CIV with Eurostar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,770
Location
UK
They are also valid for use in a 2 month period (including the singles), which I don't think any other ticket is?
Yes, that's true. Although the internal industry guidance claims that break of journey isn't permitted, other than in London for up to 24 hours, and that the ticket must be issued for either the date of Eurostar travel, or the day before/after (as applicable). None of this is communicated to customers when buying the ticket so it's completely unenforceable.

I think the problem here will be that you didn't buy it alongside an itinerary.
I don't think that really makes a difference. The likes of timetablehistory.com and Charlwood House Rail can serve as independent evidence of the state of the timetable when the ticket was bought.

So carriers can't get out of their PRO obligations just because you used split tickets. But you do have to show it's a contract which may be difficult if you've bought different tickets from different places and don't have an itinerary for the through journey.

Not sure if it's possible to buy a CIV ticket to St Pancras and a Eurostar ticket from a single retailer?
As discussed in this thread, that is contingent on there being one contract. Eurostar's CoC do not allow separate tickets - even if also issued under the CIV - to form part of the same contract.

Buying the tickets in one transaction also wouldn't help, as Eurostar's CoC similarly state that:
For all other journeys that combine a Eurostar Service and a service provided by another carrier(s), including when purchased in a single commercial transaction, those tickets will be separate contracts and issues regarding delays, missed connections, cancellations, compensation, and the management of aftersales will be handled accordingly.

There are no longer any through single/return fares, so AFAIK the only way to have a through ticket is to buy an Interrail/Eurail pass.

Having spoken to GWR, they state that because it's a strike day there are "no services" to reroute me onto
Except RailAir and Heathrow Express are running normally (as is the Elizabeth line, mostly), so that's nonsense.

and they don't provide alternatives (buses, taxis, ticket acceptance) on strike days.
The PRO and NRCoT apply on strike days in just the same way as any other day. They can adopt whatever policy they like but it doesn't change the law.

Their suggestion was to use the ticket a day early (and presumably pay for my own hotel).
If they told you to use your ticket a day early, you could require them to pay for your hotel under Article 18 of the PRO. I've had to do that with another TOC during one of the recent strikes.

It sounds to me like they are ultimately claiming that strikes are a 3rd party action outside of the railway's control.
Strikes are legally speaking very much within the railway's control. But it's irrelevant whether or not they're within their control - PRO and NRCoT obligations apply in the normal way, regardless of the reason for a train being cancelled. The railway still has to assist stranded passengers during inclement weather, for example; this is no different.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

crablab

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2020
Messages
1,299
Location
UK
The PRO and NRCoT apply on strike days in just the same way as any other day. They can adopt whatever policy they like but it doesn't change the law.
Well I agree, but it's difficult to assert that to frontline staff who are just doing what they've been told.
I'm hopefully going to get a written response setting out their position. I did ask on the phone for them to explicitly state how they intended to comply with the parts of the PRO I quoted. I expect them to ignore that.
 

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,770
Location
UK
Well I agree, but it's difficult to assert that to frontline staff who are just doing what they've been told.
I'm hopefully going to get a written response setting out their position. I did ask on the phone for them to explicitly state how they intended to comply with the parts of the PRO I quoted. I expect them to ignore that.
I agree - it's very much a scenario where you have to pay and then reclaim the cost.

Unfortunately, I think there's little point in asking customer services over the phone, as you're no more likely to get a useful answer than by contacting them on social media (where you'd then have clear written evidence of a refusal to pay).
 

crablab

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2020
Messages
1,299
Location
UK
The call was just to chase up my existing written request, to see if there was going to be an easy 'yes' :) I anticipate they will respond to my email later in the week.
 

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,770
Location
UK
The call was just to chase up my existing written request, to see if there was going to be an easy 'yes' :) I anticipate they will respond to my email later in the week.
I'd contact them on social media for a quicker answer. It's almost certainly going to be a refusal either way.
 

crablab

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2020
Messages
1,299
Location
UK
I'd contact them on social media for a quicker answer. It's almost certainly going to be a refusal either way.
They have refused (well, they were clear they weren't refusing to provide rerouting, just that it wasn't available at all on strike days...which amounts to the same thing).

All I'm waiting for now is a written explanation.

I plan to reroute myself (probably via a combination of RA1/Uber and the Elizabeth Line from Maidenhead) given their refusal to help.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

If it's any use to the OP, there is a Megabus from Reading at 0345 which reaches Victoria Coach Station at 0535.
Thanks for this suggestion! I've ended up booking a ticket :)

As the combination of Megabus + tube will be less than the rail ticket, I might as well just get a refund and keep the difference as "compensation" for having to leave earlier. I will do that on my return.

GWR still haven't got back to me and whilst Eurostar were extremely helpful in the circumstances, I can't help but feeling there's little point in buying an LNE ticket in future if TOCs are just going to deny all responsibility.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top