• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

using Network Railcard discounted tickets as a Gold Card holder

Status
Not open for further replies.

sleepymonster

Member
Joined
19 Jul 2014
Messages
12
I have a Gold Card, but sometimes travel using tickets with a Network Railcard discount applied. Ticket inspectors (mostly on Southeastern) haven't had a problem with this so far. Have I just been lucky, or is this officially ok?

(The reason I do this is that I've struggled to find Gold Card discount options on some ticket machines, and on other occasions I've wanted to use the return half of a Network Railcard discounted ticket bought by my partner. As far as I'm aware, Gold Card discounts are at least as generous as Network Railcard discounts, so the train company isn't losing out.)

Thanks.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,471
It is not officially permitted, however staff do usually apply discretion in the circumstances you describe. Beware though that you are still subject to be charged a Penalty Fare if you travel with the incorrect type of discount, and you will have no ground for appeal.

Travelling with the return half of your partner's ticket is strictly forbidden. Railway tickets are not transferable. If caught you would be liable for a Penalty Fare or, worse, prosecution.
 

BillyBoy

Member
Joined
13 Dec 2012
Messages
67
Location
Gateway to the Dales
The Gold Card discount option has recently disappeared from the ticket machines at Waterloo. I haven't bothered emailing South West Trains to ask why as it took them 3 months to reply to my last email :rolleyes:.
 

theageofthetra

Established Member
Joined
27 May 2012
Messages
3,565
Location
Beckenham
Re the goldcard discount not being on certain ticket machines, have you tried tweeting the TOC concerned, I find that normally gets a prompt response.
 

BillyBoy

Member
Joined
13 Dec 2012
Messages
67
Location
Gateway to the Dales
Thank you for the advice, I must get myself onto Twitter - I've put it off for far too long!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Fourteen minutes!

@billyboy this option is still there, please go to the next page & it's under "network Gold card"

. . . I obviously wasn't looking hard enough!
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,914
Location
0036
Technically the ticket isn't valid, but I would be surprised if anyone made an issue of it as NSE is a "worse" discount than GOLDC. The other way around might be more problematic.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,959
Location
UK
Yes, as the latter could avoid the £13 minimum fare. Otherwise they're pretty much identical.
 

paul1609

Established Member
Joined
28 Jan 2006
Messages
7,992
Location
K
Some High Speed Supplement fares allow a Network card discount but not a Gold Card one on Southeasterns TVMs.
 

sleepymonster

Member
Joined
19 Jul 2014
Messages
12
Thanks. Think I might have run into this too - plus also not being able to find a Gold Card option on (I think) East Midlands Trains ticket vending machine at St Pancras.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,959
Location
UK
When I paid an excess on HS1 it was done as NSE and not GOLDC. Likewise on Heathrow Connect when getting the ticket on the train (having asked before boarding). Some staff don't see a difference, but try explaining to some RPIs!
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,538
Location
Yorkshire
(The reason I do this is that I've struggled to find Gold Card discount options on some ticket machines,....
Can you ask the relevant TOCs (Southeastern, and any others you use where this situation applies) if they want you to buy from the TVM with incorrect discount or if they want you to board without a ticket (where the ticket office is closed)?

Let us know their reply please!
 

cjohnson

Member
Joined
3 Sep 2009
Messages
614
Fourteen minutes!

@billyboy this option is still there, please go to the next page & it's under "network Gold card"

. . . I obviously wasn't looking hard enough!

It is baffling why, especially at London suburban stations, the Gold Card option is tucked away on the second page when the Devon & Cornwall Railcard is on the main screen :roll:
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,647
Location
Isle of Man
not being able to find a Gold Card option on (I think) East Midlands Trains ticket vending machine at St Pancras.

Yeah, the machines on the side of the ticket office opposite Patisserie Valerie don't have the Gold Card discount option listed anywhere. I keep meaning to ask EMT about it, but generally use the FCC ticket office anyway as they're better.
 

sleepymonster

Member
Joined
19 Jul 2014
Messages
12
Can you ask the relevant TOCs (Southeastern, and any others you use where this situation applies) if they want you to buy from the TVM with incorrect discount or if they want you to board without a ticket (where the ticket office is closed)?

Let us know their reply please!

Will do next time I run up against it. Mostly I travel at evening peak so ticket office is open, just very busy. Quickest option I've found for High Speed tickets is to use the dedicated Southeastern member of sales staff with a portable ticket machine by the Southeastern high speed platforms.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top