• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Using my TV as a PC monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

EM2

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
7,522
Location
The home of the concrete cow
I have decided to pull my old desktop out of retirement and use that simply for watching online video as my netbook is struggling.
As I don't have a spare monitor, I use the S-video output from the graphics card and plug it into the telly. It worked fine when I was using it before, but now has decided it doesn't want to. I know the cable is good as I connected my VCR to the TV with it. The graphics card is properly seated and the socket is secure on the graphics card. However, the cable is loose when plugged into the socket, so it doesn't make good contact and I can never be sure if I'll get a video signal on the TV.
SO...
Is it easy to replace the socket on the card (I know how to wield a soldering iron OK). Or is there a way to use the VGA monitor output from the graphics card and connect to S-Video, SCART or the RCA connector on the TV?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Joined
12 Jan 2011
Messages
44
Location
Poole, Dorset.
There are VGA to scart or Svideo converter boxes, but at £40 plus, you might as well get a second hand monitor.

I have a 19 HP CRT monitor that I can't even give away - probably end up on the tip .
 

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,494
Location
Yorkshire
Quick look around and it seems some of the adaptors aren't for connecting a PC to a TV, more a case of connecting something like a DVD player to a device with VGA input.

The VGA to S-Video adaptor I found on Amazon (for about £1.50 inc shipping) was only good for a resolution of 640x480 it would seem though.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top