• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Using incorrect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delilah Sm

New Member
Joined
23 Mar 2018
Messages
3
I’m posting because I’m a little worried I’ll be prosecuted. For the last 2 months I’ve been using the national rail website and the train line website to pay for tickets on greater Anglia trains from Harlow town - Tottenham Hale. I’ve been paying with the job seekers discount without having a job seekers rail card (although I am a jobseeker). Today on the train, the ticket man asked to see my ticket, and I didn’t have one because I wanted to pay on board but we were coming to my stop. Because I was coming to my stop he let me get off with no details from me except he took my old train tickets + receipt , maybe 2 or 3 of them. Can they use the receipt and old train tickets to track me and will I likely be prosecuted for doing this around 20 times but only being caught once ?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

robbeech

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2015
Messages
4,904
It is entirely possible that they can obtain some data from receipts and previous tickets especially if you have purchased them online, if this is the case (and there is access to your address) then it is likely you will receive a letter in due course outlining what they intend doing and what you should do to settle matters.

We may need more details before we can give a better indication of what can happen. Were there ticketing facilities where you boarded the train? Did you ask for a ticket with the railcard discount at the time? Did the guard ask to see your railcard? Have you ever had a jobseekers railcard? Have you already applied for one?
 

Delilah Sm

New Member
Joined
23 Mar 2018
Messages
3
It is entirely possible that they can obtain some data from receipts and previous tickets especially if you have purchased them online, if this is the case (and there is access to your address) then it is likely you will receive a letter in due course outlining what they intend doing and what you should do to settle matters.

We may need more details before we can give a better indication of what can happen. Were there ticketing facilities where you boarded the train? Did you ask for a ticket with the railcard discount at the time? Did the guard ask to see your railcard? Have you ever had a jobseekers railcard? Have you already applied for one?
It is entirely possible that they can obtain some data from receipts and previous tickets especially if you have purchased them online, if this is the case (and there is access to your address) then it is likely you will receive a letter in due course outlining what they intend doing and what you should do to settle matters.

We may need more details before we can give a better indication of what can happen. Were there ticketing facilities where you boarded the train? Did you ask for a ticket with the railcard discount at the time? Did the guard ask to see your railcard? Have you ever had a jobseekers railcard? Have you already applied for one?
there were ticketing facilities and I didn’t buy the correct one. I’m most concerned about being tracked/found from my old tickets that he took. I can’t think of any other reason he would let me get off the train but need my tickets? I paid by card in the station / online sometimes. Thanks for the reply.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,973
Location
Airedale
When you say "using incorrect railcard," what railcard do you actually have?
Or do you not have a railcard at all?
 

falcon

Member
Joined
8 Mar 2009
Messages
425
If your details can be assertained from the old tickets then there is a possibility that you can be persued for the incident on the day.

As regards the other 20 times in order for any action to be taken against you there would have to be evidence you travelled on the train. Merely purchasing tickets without a railcard is not an offence.
 

Delilah Sm

New Member
Joined
23 Mar 2018
Messages
3
If your details can be assertained from the old tickets then there is a possibility that you can be persued for the incident on the day.

As regards the other 20 times in order for any action to be taken against you there would have to be evidence you travelled on the train. Merely purchasing tickets without a railcard is not an offence.
How can they get details from old tickets? Is that possible ?
 

falcon

Member
Joined
8 Mar 2009
Messages
425
How can they get details from old tickets? Is that possible ?

I don't know if details can be obtained from the tickets.

Possibly if you bought online and had tickets sent to your address. But I am guessing.

I don't know if you have ever given any of your personal information.

If you have not it is difficult to pursue the matter further.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,552
Location
LBK
How can they get details from old tickets? Is that possible ?

Yes, depending on how you paid. But, I very much doubt they will do this.

I expect they will just want to proceed with the prosecution they have in mind at the moment.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
You wanted to pay onboard? I'm not sure how many revenue inspectors will believe that.

You know as well as I do that you had no intention of paying at all, because if you travelled regularly on Greater Anglia then you would have noticed that there were no one selling tickets onboard.

I suggest that you start buying the correct ticket from now on, as it will not end well for you otherwise. Depending on your specific circumstance, there may be other legitimate ways to save money over paying full undiscounted fares. You can get help on those here if you wish.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top