• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Use of toilets in train stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

tannedfrog

Member
Joined
26 Jun 2010
Messages
537
It costs a lot to spend a penny.

30p in some London stations
50 cents in Belgian stations
80 cents in some German stations, even 1 euro


If you watch the station staff (including shop workers) going to the loo (at least in the London stations), you will see that they will manage to not pay even when there is no attendant.
They just move the barrier towards them and they can get through.

Personally I'm not sure I agree with paying to spend a penny, especially when I have a valid train ticket and if the toilet on the train is not fit for purpose.

How seriously can someone be reprimanded by British Transport Police for not paying for the use of the toilets?

In Belgium it may be different as the money for the toilet is in theory an optional gratuity, I think.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tom B

Established Member
Joined
27 Jul 2005
Messages
4,680
A little local knowledge can help (eg at King's Cross there's a handy McDonalds just outside the station); I wouldn't mind paying 20p to use the station loos if they were well kept.
 

tannedfrog

Member
Joined
26 Jun 2010
Messages
537
actually for Kings Cross there is a better solution - St Pancras has nice, free toilets
 

taxidave

Member
Joined
20 Sep 2010
Messages
119
London Bridge has free toilets on platform 6 and at Paddington the "Mad Bishop & Bear" has good facilities.
 

me123

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2007
Messages
8,510
I'd rather see a set-up whereby rail ticket holders had free access to the loos. However, I reckon that no one would need pay for them, so the whole idea just goes out the window!

I have no problem paying for good toilets. If it means that they're well maintained and clean then it's worth the expense in my opinion. And some of the pay-to-pee ones have taken the experience to a whole new level. And, to be fair, the ones in Glasgow Central and Edinburgh Waverley are actually very good. However, the last time I was in Queen Street's toilets (Scotrail operated) I was rather shocked at how bad it was.

In Belgium it may be different as the money for the toilet is in theory an optional gratuity, I think.

I passed through Belgium by coach recently, and was charged 30c each time I wanted to use the ones in the service station. Rather than a machine, it was a case of handing your money over to someone (usually an older person) who sat outside the toilets. A rather crap job, if you'll excuse the pun. There was a sign up requesting 30c, and I didn't see the point in trying to dodge it (they may have been old, but they looked tough), so I'm not sure if it was optional or mandatory. The standard was really poor, though.
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,855
Location
Oakham
The price in Paris is €0.50 and the turnstiles are watched over by fierce looking female attendants, whose job it is to collect the cash and issue tokens where necessary - and watch that the cash goes in on the direct feed turnstiles!
 

D6700

Member
Joined
13 Mar 2010
Messages
758
Down by the trams, there are toilets there :)

Ta - useful gen. I've been there hundreds of times, but didn't know that.

Another alternative for many stations is to check the departure boards and find a retention tank fitted train that isn't going to depart before you've finished!
 
Joined
8 Sep 2010
Messages
332
Location
Hornchurch
Another alternative for many stations is to check the departure boards and find a retention tank fitted train that isn't going to depart before you've finished![/QUOTE]

Done that a few times
 

scotsman

Established Member
Joined
6 Jul 2010
Messages
3,252
Another alternative for many stations is to check the departure boards and find a retention tank fitted train that isn't going to depart before you've finished!

Doesn't work!

I tried it on a Voyager and watched to my horror as the emergency open handle was turned from the outside!

Cue a loud expletive and hasty zipping of my trousers!

Feel sorry for the cleaner, he went in, saw me, went "Agh! Sorry, sorry, sorry!" and left.
 

sheff1

Established Member
Joined
24 Dec 2009
Messages
6,063
Location
Sheffield
Last weekend, on the main staion in Poznan, at the entrance to the gents there was a sign showing a charge of 1zl, but no attendant. A friend entered then, as he was in full flow (as it were), he was tapped on the shoulder by a fierce looking female. When he did not immediately produce any money, she grabbed his arm and tried to drag him away :lol:.
 
Joined
8 Sep 2010
Messages
332
Location
Hornchurch
Last weekend, on the main staion in Poznan, at the entrance to the gents there was a sign showing a charge of 1zl, but no attendant. A friend entered then, as he was in full flow (as it were), he was tapped on the shoulder by a fierce looking female. When he did not immediately produce any money, she grabbed his arm and tried to drag him away :lol:.

LMFAO, dragging him while peeing
 

Fred26

Member
Joined
5 Mar 2010
Messages
1,107
Another alternative for many stations is to check the departure boards and find a retention tank fitted train that isn't going to depart before you've finished!

Done that a few times

I do that. I've been at Kings Cross and had to pay though, when there's been nothing in 0-8. Or at least nothing open.
I wonder if the Kings Cross toilets will be FOC once the refurbishment is completed.
 

Lampshade

Established Member
Joined
3 Sep 2009
Messages
3,778
Location
South London
Many thanks - handy information :D

Or you could go to the ones up by platforms 13/14, move the turnstile back an inch or two then lip through the gap <D

I'd rather see a set-up whereby rail ticket holders had free access to the loos. However, I reckon that no one would need pay for them, so the whole idea just goes out the window!

They have that at Wigan North Western, you have to press a buzzer and show your ticket to a camera next to the door although it's very much open to abuse.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,324
Last weekend, on the main staion in Poznan, at the entrance to the gents there was a sign showing a charge of 1zl, but no attendant. A friend entered then, as he was in full flow (as it were), he was tapped on the shoulder by a fierce looking female. When he did not immediately produce any money, she grabbed his arm and tried to drag him away :lol:.

Reminds me when i got chased in Krakow last year. In Belgrade in was 10p to use the toilets and in Berlin it was a euro.
 

tannedfrog

Member
Joined
26 Jun 2010
Messages
537
1 zloty is 22p and the Polish earn much less than we do
I suppose I should be grateful that our train stations charge not more than 30p and often nothing
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
One euro in Berlin - crazy

it's as if going to the toilet is a luxury. If I had the courage I'd p*ss outside the entrance just to make a point (well I wouldn't but I can see why a homeless person would)
 
Last edited:

cuccir

Established Member
Joined
18 Nov 2009
Messages
3,695
I'm right in thinking it's only the Network Rail operated stations which charge isn't it? Do they charge at all of them except St Pancras?
 

philjo

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2009
Messages
3,024
At Leeds you have to pay to use the toilets by the main concourse.
those on Platforms 8 & 12 are Free.
 

route:oxford

Established Member
Joined
1 Nov 2008
Messages
4,949
Until a couple of years ago, Marylebone was free.

I understood, at the time, that Chiltern saved a lot of money on train servicing as customers would wait until they arrived to use the (well kept) stationary facilities rather than use the on-train facilities.
 

trentside

Established Member
Joined
14 Aug 2010
Messages
3,391
Location
Messroom
Once had an argument with a turnstile at Birmingham New Street when trying to use a toilet. After it had taken my money and refused to let me go through, I then saw a member of station staff who just skirted round it and into the toilets. Fair enough, I though - and did the same. :lol:

I'm not sure I totally agree with pay toilets, especially when I've paid to find them in a disgusting state!
 

John Webb

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2010
Messages
3,787
Location
St Albans
As one of the tens of thousands of the UK population who suffer from Crohne's disease (a horrible little bug in the gut that can result in a very urgent need to get to a toilet) I am unhappy at having to pay, particularly as this can delay getting into the toilet. (Some of the worst sufferers do qualify for disabled toilet access.)

Some preserved railways now insist on 'platform tickets' for non-travelling visitors. While visiting the Embsay and Bolton Abbey Railway this year I found they had introduced such a charge, although they refund the £1 if you spend £5 or more in their excellent bookshop at Embsay. Chatting to the volunteers in the shop it transpired that they had introduced the charge to discourage casual visitors; apparently they had had increasing numbers of people stopping off at the station, using the toilet facilities and dashing off again without making any contribution to the railway!
 

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2006
Messages
6,727
Location
Milton Keynes
Munich Hbf has two sets of loos which charge, 80c and €1 for the nicer ones. However, there is another set of rather tatty loos hidden by U-bahn lines 1 & 2 which are free
 

WillPS

Established Member
Joined
18 Nov 2008
Messages
2,431
Location
Nottingham
I'm happy to pay up to 50p so long as I can expect an immaculate, constantly cleaned toilet.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top