We are often presented with TV adverts promoting the needs of children with cancer, or who have been abused, etc, etc. Usually, these employ children looking directly at the camera with their appealing faces, with the plea we send a donation immediately.
And it is good that these needs are being brought to our attention, uncomfortable as that may be. And I really hope people do donate to the charity concerned.
And there's usually a disclaimer, along the lines of "none of these children were harmed in the making of this advertisement" or "all children depicted are actors"
But I do wonder about the affect this has on the children concerned. How do you tell a child of 8 or 9 to imagine she has been abused and to act accordingly? How does she cope the following day with friends telling her they saw her on the TV the previous night in the role of some poor child to whom dreadful things have happened?
Am I alone in my misgivings about this whole thing?
And it is good that these needs are being brought to our attention, uncomfortable as that may be. And I really hope people do donate to the charity concerned.
And there's usually a disclaimer, along the lines of "none of these children were harmed in the making of this advertisement" or "all children depicted are actors"
But I do wonder about the affect this has on the children concerned. How do you tell a child of 8 or 9 to imagine she has been abused and to act accordingly? How does she cope the following day with friends telling her they saw her on the TV the previous night in the role of some poor child to whom dreadful things have happened?
Am I alone in my misgivings about this whole thing?