• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Upgrade to first class, weekday, Bangor-Crewe, on part of split return

Status
Not open for further replies.

pne

Member
Joined
22 Dec 2014
Messages
400
Location
Hamburg, Germany
Hello, I will be travelling from Manchester Airport (MIA) to Bangor (BNG) and back in March, splitting tickets at Flint (FLN): I have an off-peak return MIA-FLN and another off-peak return FLN-BNG, both in standard class.

On the way back, I will probably be taking the Virgin Trains service leaving Bangor at 0922 on Thu 9 Mar as far as Crewe (CRE). (And then break my journey and later take Northern from there to the airport.)

If I wanted to do that VT part of the return journey in first class, what would that cost?

Would it be possible to upgrade/excess just that portion of the trip? Especially considering that that leg is split over two tickets and doesn't consist of the entirety of the second ticket?

Or would I have to upgrade the entire return portion of both tickets? Or would I have to upgrade the entire tickets to a first-class return?

How much would the upgrade cost, and where could I pay for this? On board? At a ticket counter in advance?

Would the price be based on tickets BNG-FLN + FLN-CRE, or on a single BNG-CRE ticket?

If just Bangor to Crewe is not upgradable, how much would just Bangor to Flint be?

Thanks in advance!
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,734
Location
Scotland
Would it be possible to upgrade/excess just that portion of the trip? Especially considering that that leg is split over two tickets and doesn't consist of the entirety of the second ticket?
As I understand it, you would need to excess both tickets.
How much would the upgrade cost, and where could I pay for this? On board? At a ticket counter in advance?
My advice would be to pay for the excess before boarding, if that is possible. However, it would normally be acceptable to pay on board if you weren't able to do so previously.
Would the price be based on tickets BNG-FLN + FLN-CRE, or on a single BNG-CRE ticket?
It would be based on the price of the tickets you are excessing, rather than a ticket you don't hold.
 

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Joined
26 Jun 2010
Messages
6,231
Location
Newtown Montgomeryshire
lowest tier 1st Class AP from Bangor to Crewe is £21.00 - id bag one of them - their still available for Wednesday next week at that tier on the 0922 - low demand.
Anytime 1st Single is £40.40. The hassle of excess fare versus a straightforward purchase with probably not a lot in it price wise Id go for the AP.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top