• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Update to National Rail Enquiries App

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
The National Rail Enquiries App for Android devices has been updated recently. You can now ask it to let you know what is the time of your next train as you nearer your work or home station. It then gives a time and platform for your next train and tells you it's on time.

It seems like a really good idea. However currently, if the train is late it gives you the late departure time whilst still saying it's on time.

For example if the 17.52 was expected in at 17.54, it would say something like Next train to Aberdeen is 17.52 on platform 3 and it is on time. I am recalling that from memory but it's words to that effect. Times are random in this example.

Once it has told you this, you don't get a notification if the time has changed.

Now it may be after its told you this "on time", time the train makes up 1-2 minutes of time.

This means a passenger might turn up at 17.53 and find the train doors closed.

Now I'm aware users should allow plenty of time but ui there's a newsagents near the platform, someone might be tempted to pop in, thinking they have a minute to deal with it and still catch the train as the doors shouldn't close until 17.53 and 30 seconds.

I'm sure they will deal with this issue in a future update. The idea is certainly very good and unexpected, considering how old the app seems to be and how I can easily cause it to crash if I so wish.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

xfield

Member
Joined
20 Feb 2013
Messages
39
The widget has done this for years (certainly the past 4.5 years I've been commuting by train).

I just wish they could include information about short formed trains. The pacers on my Northern service regularly breakdown and I change plans to get an earlier or later train, rather than subject myself to the inhumanity of squeezing on to half a train, which has the heating on come rain or shine.

I've got a series of bookmarks set up on my desktop that link through to Northern's boards for my stations on the JourneyCheck website instead.
 

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
The widget has done this for years (certainly the past 4.5 years I've been commuting by train).

I just wish they could include information about short formed trains. The pacers on my Northern service regularly breakdown and I change plans to get an earlier or later train, rather than subject myself to the inhumanity of squeezing on to half a train, which has the heating on come rain or shine.

I've got a series of bookmarks set up on my desktop that link through to Northern's boards for my stations on the JourneyCheck website instead.
Your right the widget has indeed done this. Perhaps they feel notifications will make people take more stock of it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top