• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Upcoming strike action affecting ScotRail - information on services.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,191
Location
0035
Has anybody used either XC or GR services between Aberdeen/Dundee and Edinburgh on one of the strike days? Are they rammed?
l boarded the 1030 Edinburgh (ex Aberdeen) to Kings + on the day of the first strike and it wasn't particularly busy. Of course, there's a chance customers may have alighted at other stations like Haymarket depending on where they were going.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

XC90

Member
Joined
4 Jun 2015
Messages
229
I'm sure Humza will keep everything in check and therefore keep the services running during the dispute allowing customers journey opportunities throughout most of the network.

75% of services have been operating so far during the strikes. Remember VTEC and Crosscountry also operate some of the effected routes - and TPE offer limited services in to regions effected.
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Ny Wife was forced to take the first Aberdeen HST the Thursday before last owing to it being the only direct service connecting with the Northern Isles ferry in Aberdeen. She reported that the train was fully reserved from Waverley but about 80 percent of these were no shows so very quiet
 

47271

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2015
Messages
2,983
I've been out and about on Scotrail quite a bit this week and have noticed an increase in weekday cancellations due to staff shortages. The 0650 Inverness-Edinburgh went that way yesterday at Perth - really not at all amusing on a long distance service - and I noticed an Alloa service missing at Waverley tonight. Whether it's the dispute or not, they do seem to be struggling.
 

gsnedders

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2015
Messages
1,472
I've been out and about on Scotrail quite a bit this week and have noticed an increase in weekday cancellations due to staff shortages. The 0650 Inverness-Edinburgh went that way yesterday at Perth - really not at all amusing on a long distance service - and I noticed an Alloa service missing at Waverley tonight. Whether it's the dispute or not, they do seem to be struggling.

What I heard is that there's some work-to-rule happening, as well as staff refusing to work rest days, which I presume is the cause.
 

Haig paxton

Member
Joined
29 Feb 2016
Messages
136
Also a shortage of drivers at various locations which is totally seperate from the Guard dispute, or is it?
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Do we have any indication yet as to if they are planning further dates? They have been of course more strikes this weekend
 

XC90

Member
Joined
4 Jun 2015
Messages
229
Do we have any indication yet as to if they are planning further dates? They have been of course more strikes this weekend

I suspect there will be no more strike dates until the next pay period. Conductors will see a reduced pay this month, and I think it will be too much to ask them to strike again this month. If the talks go well there may not be any strike dates announced. Here's hoping Wednesday goes well.
 

scotraildriver

Established Member
Joined
15 Jun 2009
Messages
1,846
Also a shortage of drivers at various locations which is totally seperate from the Guard dispute, or is it?

There is an unwritten rule that no overtime is worked on a strike day. So all rostered drivers were at work but no one worked overtime. Just shows the reliance on overtime to run the service but that's the way the companyi like it. Non pensionable less staff etc etc
 

XC90

Member
Joined
4 Jun 2015
Messages
229
A lot of people like to work overtime. I wonder how people would react if there was none or very little. Basic wage month after month might not go down too well.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,428
Location
Yorkshire
This thread is for discussing the impact of the intended industrial action on passengers, and not to discuss the actual dispute itself.

I will re-open this thread once someone informs us they have some actual information for passengers.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
Reopened for discussion of freshly announced strikes. Please be civil and stay on topic. Thank you and btw, I only ask once.

There are already other threads for discussing DOO for anyone that way inclined.
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Cant post link as on my phone but widely reported in various places that the next 2 Sundays will again be strike days. In terms of what will run I dont know but expect it to be busy, the Down Chiefton is already looking like quite a busy service
 

cf111

Established Member
Joined
13 Nov 2012
Messages
1,393

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Are well here goes...meantime anyone any idea what theyr expecting to run these next two Sundays?
 

74A

Member
Joined
27 Aug 2015
Messages
774
Why was First Scot Rail able to organise a much higher percentage of trains running during their strikes ? I think about 90% of services ran then. I know First drafted in managers from all over the country. Abellio seem to run a similar number of franchise as First did then but are not able to cover as many trains.
 

gsnedders

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2015
Messages
1,472
Why was First Scot Rail able to organise a much higher percentage of trains running during their strikes ? I think about 90% of services ran then. I know First drafted in managers from all over the country. Abellio seem to run a similar number of franchise as First did then but are not able to cover as many trains.

Because it's guards who are striking, and you can't just pull them in from elsewhere in the country because they won't have the requisite route knowledge for the routes.
 

Observer

Member
Joined
3 Nov 2014
Messages
799
How busy have the trains been on strike days? I understand that the strike days have generally resulted in six carriage formations but will they be packed to the gills throughout? Just asking as someone who is going to have to deal with one of these strike days on the Edinburgh to Dunblane line for the first time.
 

Groningen

Established Member
Joined
14 Jan 2015
Messages
2,866
So a strike this Sunday. Well; it will so not affect the hard workers in Edinburgh and Glasgow. Have than no strike or do not check tickets!
 

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
6,615
This thread is for discussing the impact of the intended industrial action on passengers, and not to discuss the actual dispute itself.

Can I remind posters of he above; please stay on topic.
 

Newshy37

Member
Joined
3 Mar 2012
Messages
179
I heard somewhere that there will be strike action by Scotrail RMT staff on Sunday 7th of August for 48hrs. I was hoping to do the 68 turns that Monday. Does anyone have any info other than that on the Scotrail website. Are the 68,s likely to run? Ta.
 

gsnedders

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2015
Messages
1,472
Over the past few strike days, has the reduced service level timetabled typically run in its entirety, or is even that dubious?
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
A few bits not running today including short ish notice canseling of the 12:10 GLC ABD.
 

185143

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2013
Messages
5,363
I've got advances up to Scotland for monday for a SPT Roundabout bash, vast majority of the shacks I require are on lines which have conductors...
Gutted!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top