Just wondering how many unusual regular stock allocations people remember historically, i.e. during the BR era up to the mid 90s.
I can remember a few:
- the one a day Waterloo-Portsmouth (direct) run by 50 and coaches in 1986/87, possibly 1987/88. This was a positioning move for a Portsmouth to Paignton (I think) service - see the other thread about unusual through journeys.
- the peak-hour Waterloo to Basingstoke/Alton (split Woking) in 1983/84 formed of 6 2HAP units (most trains were VEPs, perhaps with one HAP for extra capacity but this was the only pure-HAP service of 12 coaches I remember).
- during the transition-to-442s period in 1989/90, there were a number of Waterloo-Bournemouth and Poole services formed of 73s and 4TCs. These even included some stopping trains ("93s") - ISTR the 0850 and 1650-ish Southampton to Waterloo stoppers were so formed.
- not such a big deal, but CIGs used to run quite a few stopping services out of Waterloo in the 80s, including even some Cobham line services in 1983/84 before 455s came in the following year. Imagine a 444 running a Cobham line service today!
- one Reading to Birmingham(fast, normal Cross-Country stopping pattern) in 1986/87 run by a Tyseley 116, I think it left Reading 1140. This was actually not in the timetable; they appeared to add it sometime between May and July as an extra presumably because there was demand for it and it filled in a two-hour gap in trains between Reading and Birmingham.
- peak hour trains which went towards Southampton and Salisbury formed of a 33, 4TC and one or more VEPs, splitting at Basingstoke (the 33 and 4TC for Salisbury). There was a 1700 out of Waterloo which did this in 1983/84 and another a bit later in the peak, which went non-stop through Woking.
- peak hour Oxford stoppers out of Paddington formed by 50s and MkI coaches (offpeak were 117s)
I'm sure there are others but can't think of them right now!
I can remember a few:
- the one a day Waterloo-Portsmouth (direct) run by 50 and coaches in 1986/87, possibly 1987/88. This was a positioning move for a Portsmouth to Paignton (I think) service - see the other thread about unusual through journeys.
- the peak-hour Waterloo to Basingstoke/Alton (split Woking) in 1983/84 formed of 6 2HAP units (most trains were VEPs, perhaps with one HAP for extra capacity but this was the only pure-HAP service of 12 coaches I remember).
- during the transition-to-442s period in 1989/90, there were a number of Waterloo-Bournemouth and Poole services formed of 73s and 4TCs. These even included some stopping trains ("93s") - ISTR the 0850 and 1650-ish Southampton to Waterloo stoppers were so formed.
- not such a big deal, but CIGs used to run quite a few stopping services out of Waterloo in the 80s, including even some Cobham line services in 1983/84 before 455s came in the following year. Imagine a 444 running a Cobham line service today!
- one Reading to Birmingham(fast, normal Cross-Country stopping pattern) in 1986/87 run by a Tyseley 116, I think it left Reading 1140. This was actually not in the timetable; they appeared to add it sometime between May and July as an extra presumably because there was demand for it and it filled in a two-hour gap in trains between Reading and Birmingham.
- peak hour trains which went towards Southampton and Salisbury formed of a 33, 4TC and one or more VEPs, splitting at Basingstoke (the 33 and 4TC for Salisbury). There was a 1700 out of Waterloo which did this in 1983/84 and another a bit later in the peak, which went non-stop through Woking.
- peak hour Oxford stoppers out of Paddington formed by 50s and MkI coaches (offpeak were 117s)
I'm sure there are others but can't think of them right now!
Last edited: