STEVIEBOY1
Established Member
- Joined
- 31 Jul 2010
- Messages
- 4,001
I traveled last Sunday on the Steam Dreams Cathedrals Express to Canterbury, Whitstable and Faversham. It Started from Windsor & Eton Riverside and so we were told, was the first steam special from there.
Steam Dreams have in recent years been starting some of their trains outside of London before traversing through the inner and out suburbs which makes a change. I just wondered if as well as Windsor, whether if it could ever be feasible and possible to start/finish at other end of line branches? Eg Hampton Court, Shepperton, Kingston Bay Platform, etc. The latter two could be more logical as they could come into Clapham Jct on the Platform 3-6 side, which would give easy access to the west and south London lines and therefore connections to many destinations, (Which is what we did on Sunday.) The only thing with the Shepperton Line, would perhaps be if there is enough clearance through the Fulwell Tunnel and fitting it in with the SWT services.
I know there have been departures from/to Arlesford/Alton on the MHR and to/from The Bluebell Line.
Sunday's trip was good. Although the whole train was turned, so STD was at the rear all the time. (I do prefer being nearer to the steam loco.)
Steam Dreams have in recent years been starting some of their trains outside of London before traversing through the inner and out suburbs which makes a change. I just wondered if as well as Windsor, whether if it could ever be feasible and possible to start/finish at other end of line branches? Eg Hampton Court, Shepperton, Kingston Bay Platform, etc. The latter two could be more logical as they could come into Clapham Jct on the Platform 3-6 side, which would give easy access to the west and south London lines and therefore connections to many destinations, (Which is what we did on Sunday.) The only thing with the Shepperton Line, would perhaps be if there is enough clearance through the Fulwell Tunnel and fitting it in with the SWT services.
I know there have been departures from/to Arlesford/Alton on the MHR and to/from The Bluebell Line.
Sunday's trip was good. Although the whole train was turned, so STD was at the rear all the time. (I do prefer being nearer to the steam loco.)
Last edited: