• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unusual Birmingham circular route - 13/08/25

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecrofter

Member
Joined
16 Dec 2011
Messages
291
Couldn't find any reference to the disruption at Birmingham New Street on Wednesday 13 August 2025 elsewhere on the forum, so I thought I'd post my experience here.

Having boarded 1S49 the 11:29 Plymouth to Glasgow (15:03 off BHM), there was an on-board announcement that the train would be delayed due to a trespasser in the tunnel towards Proof House Jn.

After 15 minutes or so, the Train Managed advised that whilst the disruption continued, we would be taking a diversionary route and to expect a journey delay of approximately 30-40 minutes.

The train was then routed towards Kings Norton and via the very slow (5 mph?) Lifford Curve Jn and onto the Camp Hill line to skirt around Birmingham re-joining the northbound line at Lawley Street Jn.

Fair play to Cross Country for drivers having the route knowledge to take this alternative route. Also, good to see the progress at the three new stations on the line - unexpected bonus from the disruption! Not sure when the incident was cleared, but the action taken on our train was generally welcomed to keep us moving.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ajp999

Member
Joined
8 Aug 2022
Messages
98
Location
Nottingham
From memory on the 7th July 2025 a southbound XC train to Bristol left Birmingham New Street twice. After leaving Birmingham New Street via University there was a line blockage in the Cheltenham area so the decision was taken to return the train to New Street via the Camp Hill Line. By the time the train had returned to New Street the line had reopened so the train was despatched once again to the South West.
 

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2019
Messages
3,964
Location
Northampton
Nothing booked Lifford East to West. Its last planned use was on the morning of new years day. (Source is PSUL.)


Interesting that there's a daily XC ECS New St - New St that goes Lifford West Jct - Lifford East Jct presumably to keep up route knowledge (as well as clear a set out of New St). I think that's the way the OPs train went was New St - University - Lifford W to E - St Andrews Jct - Landor St Jct. booked route Two sections of PSUL, I'm jealous :)
 

Belperpete

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2018
Messages
3,657
On Monday 11th, my Avanti service to Edinburgh left Euston 34 minutes late due to disruption between Euston - Watford (if I recall correctly). After Rugby, we crawled all the way into International, arriving nearly an hour late, as we were apparently following several services that were all trailing a slow-moving freight. Then finally on the approach to New Street we ground to a halt, and the guard announced that there was a points failure ahead, and we were either going to have to wait for it to be fixed, or we would be diverted. Eventually he announced that we were going to be diverted "direct" to Wolverhampton, without stopping at either New Street or Sandwell & Dudley. Not sure what route we took, but I can distinctly remember passing through the three new stations under construction, so I suspect it was the same route as the OP's train.
 

Falcon1200

Established Member
Joined
14 Jun 2021
Messages
6,582
Location
Neilston, East Renfrewshire
Not sure what route we took, but I can distinctly remember passing through the three new stations under construction, so I suspect it was the same route as the OP's train.

The diversion would surely have been from Stechford via Aston and Bescot to Wolverhampton? And apart from the geographical issues, the route with the 3 new stations the OP's train took is not electrified!
 

Belperpete

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2018
Messages
3,657
The diversion would surely have been from Stechford via Aston and Bescot to Wolverhampton? And apart from the geographical issues, the route with the 3 new stations the OP's train took is not electrified!
I am not familiar with routes around Birmingham, but I can say that we definitely passed through 3 stations under construction.
 

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,048
Location
Crewe
I am not familiar with routes around Birmingham, but I can say that we definitely passed through 3 stations under construction.
The stations under construction that you passed through will be the new stations for the Camp Hill line service.

Pineapple Road
Kings Heath
Moseley Village

 

nap666

Member
Joined
23 Dec 2020
Messages
33
Location
Black Country
I am not familiar with routes around Birmingham, but I can say that we definitely passed through 3 stations under construction.
The camp hill line would not have been used for this diversion, you would have used the Stechford to Aston line then through Bescot to Wolverhampton.
The two new stations you would have passed are at Willenhall & Darlaston.
 

cambsy

On Moderation
Joined
6 Oct 2011
Messages
1,113
I have done the Lifford Curve behind a class 31 and M2’s, on a Birmingham-Cambridge etc service, in the mid 80’s when the Proof house remodelling works were on, if memory correct.
 

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,048
Location
Crewe
The camp hill line would not have been used for this diversion, you would have used the Stechford to Aston line then through Bescot to Wolverhampton.
The two new stations you would have passed are at Willenhall & Darlaston.
Apologies about my post then I was going off the original OP.
 

ac6000cw

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2014
Messages
3,914
Location
Cambridge, UK
I am not familiar with routes around Birmingham, but I can say that we definitely passed through 3 stations under construction.
Was it a Pendolino/cl.390 you were travelling on?

If it was then it can only travel over electrified routes (and the Camp Hill route isn't).

The camp hill line would not have been used for this diversion, you would have used the Stechford to Aston line then through Bescot to Wolverhampton.
The two new stations you would have passed are at Willenhall & Darlaston.
I agree (plus of course the Stechford - Aston line passes over the HS2 construction site).
 

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2019
Messages
3,964
Location
Northampton
Never a curve that I have done. Very rare track.

St Andrews Jct to Landor St Jct (under the Coventry line) is also very rare. Timetabled trains in the direction of the diversion turn left at St Andrews to go into New St (the diverted train went straight on) and New St - Derby trains join that route at Landor St Jct..

I can see how knowledge of the Lifford Curve (in one direction only!) is retained by the morning ECS but I wonder how knowledge of St Andrews - Landor St section is retained. Perhaps I should keep shtum
 

ac6000cw

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2014
Messages
3,914
Location
Cambridge, UK
St Andrews Jct to Landor St Jct (under the Coventry line) is also very rare. Timetabled trains in the direction of the diversion turn left at St Andrews to go into New St (the diverted train went straight on) and New St - Derby trains join that route at Landor St Jct..

I can see how knowledge of the Lifford Curve (in one direction only!) is retained by the morning ECS but I wonder how knowledge of St Andrews - Landor St section is retained. Perhaps I should keep shtum
Maybe by routing an ECS working to/from Central Rivers depot via the West Suburban, Lifford Curve, Camp Hill, St Andrews - Landor St junctions, Water Orton etc.?

I think decades ago I travelled over the Lifford Curve on the same diversion as the OP (and when there were very few timetabled passenger trains over the Camp Hill line too).
 

Topological

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2023
Messages
4,318
Location
Swansea
Maybe by routing an ECS working to/from Central Rivers depot via the West Suburban, Lifford Curve, Camp Hill, St Andrews - Landor St junctions, Water Orton etc.?

I think decades ago I travelled over the Lifford Curve on the same diversion as the OP (and when there were very few timetabled passenger trains over the Camp Hill line too).
I remember there were diversions that way from Leicester in the late 1990s (as I was travelling from Leicester) as it took a lot longer to reach Birmingham compared to the usual hour. The trains approached New Street through Five Ways. I do wonder based on your location if that was the same time (since the trains come from Cambridge before Leicester)

I don't know if Leicester to Birmingham via Camp Hill ever happens now, or if it would just be buses.
 

gg1

Established Member
Joined
2 Jun 2011
Messages
2,497
Location
Birmingham
I believe some XC services use that route to avoid the reversal at New Street.
I thought that was a thing of the past.

I know it was relatively common in loco hauled days on SE to NE services to avoid the need for the loco to run round, but surely the time penalty isn't worth it with Voyagers.
 

thecrofter

Member
Joined
16 Dec 2011
Messages
291
The camp hill line would not have been used for this diversion, you would have used the Stechford to Aston line then through Bescot to Wolverhampton.
The two new stations you would have passed are at Willenhall & Darlaston.
It certainly was - I got off at Burton! Read my original post. RTT later showed the train terminated at York (due to a passenger being taken ill). Unit was Voyager 221119.
 

thecrofter

Member
Joined
16 Dec 2011
Messages
291
The camp hill line would not have been used for this diversion, you would have used the Stechford to Aston line then through Bescot to Wolverhampton.
The two new stations you would have passed are at Willenhall & Darlaston.
Read my original post.
 

thecrofter

Member
Joined
16 Dec 2011
Messages
291
The diversion would surely have been from Stechford via Aston and Bescot to Wolverhampton? And apart from the geographical issues, the route with the 3 new stations the OP's train took is not electrified!
Once again to the naysayers, the diversion was exactly as stated in my Original Post.
 

Topological

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2023
Messages
4,318
Location
Swansea
Once again to the naysayers, the diversion was exactly as stated in my Original Post.
Many of these posts are in response to a different poster, @Belperpete talking about their diversion on what was likely to be a Pendolino (but possibly could have been a diesel unit working for Avanti).

I dont think anyone doubts your route.
 

Falcon1200

Established Member
Joined
14 Jun 2021
Messages
6,582
Location
Neilston, East Renfrewshire

thecrofter

Member
Joined
16 Dec 2011
Messages
291
Many of these posts are in response to a different poster, @Belperpete talking about their diversion on what was likely to be a Pendolino (but possibly could have been a diesel unit working for Avanti).

I dont think anyone doubts your route.
Ah my bad. Didn't go back up the thread far enough. Thanks for the clarification. Classic example of keeping to the topic in question.
 

duffield

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2013
Messages
3,293
Location
East Midlands
I thought that was a thing of the past.

I know it was relatively common in loco hauled days on SE to NE services to avoid the need for the loco to run round, but surely the time penalty isn't worth it with Voyagers.
I'm sure it's been stated here that the Camp Hill line is used by the signallers dynamically to manage congestion on the approaches to New Street, so drivers on a given service can find themselves routed one way on one day and the other on the next day (and they expect this). So it's not to avoid the reversal.
 

sh24

Established Member
Joined
28 Sep 2023
Messages
1,508
Location
London
There are quite a few XC services booked via the Camp Hill line on a daily basis - pretty much all the Manchester Picc - Bristol TM services go this way which avoids a reversal.
 

gg1

Established Member
Joined
2 Jun 2011
Messages
2,497
Location
Birmingham
There are quite a few XC services booked via the Camp Hill line on a daily basis - pretty much all the Manchester Picc - Bristol TM services go this way which avoids a reversal.
I was referring to services using the Lifford curve, ie departing New Street on the south Cross City line then taking the curve to loop back on to the Camp Hill line northbound (or the reverse of that).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top