• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unusual aircraft at BHX/ Birmingham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rich McLean

Established Member
Joined
6 Feb 2012
Messages
1,757
That will be on hire from Air Tanker, and used as a charter flight by a commercial operator. These are spot hire aircraft and any flight operator can use if they are short.

They are also used for the Falklands islands flights from BZZ, but AirTanker make money by hiring them out to other operators on a Ad-Hoc basis. They also can be used by the RAF if required, but the RAF have their own allocation. These are not fuel tankers but can be converted if needed.

I would imagine this would have been hired in by an airline to cover for a failure
 
Last edited:

fowler9

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2013
Messages
8,380
Location
Liverpool
Yeah it is a bizarre state of affairs. I understand Thomas Cook are using the aircraft also.
 

Rich McLean

Established Member
Joined
6 Feb 2012
Messages
1,757
Yeah it is a bizarre state of affairs. I understand Thomas Cook are using the aircraft also.

There are 5 AirTanker AC in a pool. One is always on the BZZ-ASI-MPN-ASI-BZZ circuit, then 3 out of the 4 available to all and Sundry, normally by package holiday agents (Thomas Cook as already noted), but also to the RAF for RIP Troopers, Aeromed etc
 

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
Are they operating the regular Birmingham-Paderborn MoD charter now? It's been operated by commercial charter airlines like the Small Planet Airlines A320s, Danish Air Transport MD-83s and Hifly A343s in recent years.
 
Last edited:

Rich McLean

Established Member
Joined
6 Feb 2012
Messages
1,757
Are they operating the regular Birmingham-Paderborn MoD charter now? It's been operated by commercial charter airlines like the Small Planet Airlines A320s, Danish Air Transport MD-83s and Hifly A343s in recent years.

As far as I know, as using AirTanker airfcract is cheaper (discount for the MOD)
 
Last edited:

Harbornite

Established Member
Joined
7 May 2016
Messages
3,627
I feel as though I should use this thread to record rare or unusual aircraft sightings over Birmingham.

Sadly I didn't manage a pic but I've just seen a chinook heading towards the QE, this hasn't happened in quite a while and they used to be more frequent. It goes without saying that the frequency of such flights is determined by Britain's military commitments.
 

randyrippley

Established Member
Joined
21 Feb 2016
Messages
5,382
I feel as though I should use this thread to record rare or unusual aircraft sightings over Birmingham.

Sadly I didn't manage a pic but I've just seen a chinook heading towards the QE, this hasn't happened in quite a while and they used to be more frequent. It goes without saying that the frequency of such flights is determined by Britain's military commitments.

Is the QE a hospital? Round here its not unknown to see Chinooks drop training casualties into hospital, or to collect TA reservist medical staff for deployment. Too big for the helipad though - they use the adjacent school games field instead
 

Harbornite

Established Member
Joined
7 May 2016
Messages
3,627
Is the QE a hospital? Round here its not unknown to see Chinooks drop training casualties into hospital, or to collect TA reservist medical staff for deployment. Too big for the helipad though - they use the adjacent school games field instead

Aye it is. We had a Chinkook fly over just the other day, en route to it.
 

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Joined
21 Apr 2013
Messages
28,749
Location
Nottingham
Round here its not unknown to see Chinooks drop training casualties into hospital

Not literally I hope.

A relative was repatriated from Camp Bastion to Queen Elizabeth Hospital - not injured, just ill, so I suspect he just had an ambulance from wherever his flight landed.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top