• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unused Woodhead Electrification Gantries

Status
Not open for further replies.

MK Tom

Established Member
Joined
31 Aug 2011
Messages
2,458
Location
Milton Keynes
I just watched a driver's eye view of Manchester-York and it reminded me of how many lines there are branching off from the Hadfield/Glossop line that have masts left in situ from when they were electrified. I'm sort of asking three questions here:

  • How many places are there where Woodhead masts still stand but don't carry wires? I'm not including locations where they were over additional tracks on the surviving line.
  • Is there any chance of them being re-used in the event of electrification, for example on the line away from Guide Bridge towards Stalybridge and Huddersfield?
  • Do any masts survive at the Sheffield end of the line?

Many thanks.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kneedown

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2007
Messages
1,837
Location
Nottinghamshire
There's a few disused masts at Ashton Moss Jct in Manchester, on the line to Guide Bge. I see no reason why they couldn't be reused if required, seeing as the masts on the Manchester - Hadfield - Glossop route hail from the Woodhead era.
Not sure about Sheffield end, and would indeed be interested to know myself.
 

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2009
Messages
3,417
Location
S Yorks, usually
Haven't noticed any masts or gantries on the Yorkshire side - I've cycled most of what's cyclable, and looked at most of what's still railway from passing trains or from bridges. Would love to be proved wrong though.
 

W230

Established Member
Joined
6 Jan 2012
Messages
1,217
Haven't noticed any masts or gantries on the Yorkshire side - I've cycled most of what's cyclable, and looked at most of what's still railway from passing trains or from bridges.
Likewise - and found nothing.

I seem to remember seeing old gantries somewhere around Ashburys (or was it Ardwick?) around 10 years ago, which i'd assumed were from the Woodhead era.
 

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Joined
21 Apr 2013
Messages
28,716
Location
Nottingham
I can see a few on Bing birds eye around Guide Bridge North Jn, of which about two are above the Stalybridge line. However between working out whether they are in the right place and devising a non-standard way of fixing the new equipment to them, I would guess they'll deploy the gas axe rather than trying to re-use.
 

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Joined
11 Apr 2012
Messages
10,537
Location
Preston Lancs
I can see a few on Bing birds eye around Guide Bridge North Jn, of which about two are above the Stalybridge line. However between working out whether they are in the right place and devising a non-standard way of fixing the new equipment to them, I would guess they'll deploy the gas axe rather than trying to re-use.

Agree, then melt down and recycle. Much easier.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,366
Location
Yorkshire
For maybe 10-15 years after the line closed, there were still gantries over the Woodhead line platforms at Penistone along with stacks of sleepers between those two platforms. Other than the odd few here and there I don't think there's many left at all on the closed sections now- I'm certainly not aware of any East of the Woodhead tunnels.
 

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Joined
21 Jun 2013
Messages
2,277
Between Torside Crossing and Woodhead there are no masts left in situ. On the Yorkshire side, between Dunford Bridge and Penistone there are no masts left either but there could be some still suviving but rusting and rotting in the Woodhead Tunnels themselves.

The only 'Woodhead' masts left will be the few that suvive north east of Hadfield and as mentioned in the Tunnel itself.
 

JohnB57

Member
Joined
26 Jun 2008
Messages
721
Location
Holmfirth, West Yorkshire
Is this the same junction in the Guide Bridge area that the trains on the Oldham, Ashton and Guide Bridge railway to Oldham Clegg Street used ?
It's the same part of the layout Paul, but the 1500v DC transfer sidings were served from the west facing part of the Y on the line from Guide Bridge, known as Ashton Moss North Junction, which still exists. The Clegg Street line very briefly joined the Victoria/Stalybridge line at Oldham Ashton and Guide Bridge Junction before turning north to Oldham. OA&GB Jct was taken up some years ago.
 

MK Tom

Established Member
Joined
31 Aug 2011
Messages
2,458
Location
Milton Keynes
On the video (made in 2000) there are wireless masts all the way onto the viaduct on the line from Guide Bridge towards Stalybridge. Are these gone now then?

When I visited Hadfield in 2011 there was only one mast beyond the end of the wires.

Maybe just me but I think they're beautiful structures.
 

Attachments

  • P1020139.jpg
    P1020139.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 67
  • P1020187.jpg
    P1020187.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 71

paulb1973

Member
Joined
10 Feb 2011
Messages
103
Location
Coventry
On the video (made in 2000) there are wireless masts all the way onto the viaduct on the line from Guide Bridge towards Stalybridge. Are these gone now then?

When I visited Hadfield in 2011 there was only one mast beyond the end of the wires.

Maybe just me but I think they're beautiful structures.

There is something quite imposing about those original 1500v dc OHL masts - some of them are massive portal structures, certainly on multi-track sections. Although not as large, some of the early WCML electrification equipment was almost as bulky, look at Euston, Rugby (albeit modernised) Stafford (although Trackwatch in the most recent Modern Railways magazine suggests some thinning out is on the cards) Crewe and so on.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top