My £3,500 season works out at just under £10 per day, including bus travel (plus bus).
I am not sure what a normal return to Old Street would be, travelling in the morning peak but coming back off-peak (no evening peak for services to Hatfield) but I don't think I'm saving THAT much - especially when that's for 365 days a year. Given that I don't have to use the ticket at weekends, and annual leave, I'd get this down to 236 days of travel per year; or £15 per day.
Now, I have a Z1-6 travelcard as part of this, which I could get rid of and save a bit - but it seems a no brainer for the off-peak usage and other travel around London - yet, I think it shows that a season ticket isn't a massive discount. Every day I don't use it (off sick or whatever) reduces the benefit, which means I should be going to/from London as many times as possible to get the best value for money. I doubt many season ticket holders do this!
Imagine a smartcard system that allows more flexible travel. That would be VITAL for people who could work from home some of the time, as they would currently not be able to benefit from any sort of season - as they'd pay for days they don't need. We talk about PFs for those without tickets, but it seems just as unfair to charge people for not even travelling at all!
I am not sure what a normal return to Old Street would be, travelling in the morning peak but coming back off-peak (no evening peak for services to Hatfield) but I don't think I'm saving THAT much - especially when that's for 365 days a year. Given that I don't have to use the ticket at weekends, and annual leave, I'd get this down to 236 days of travel per year; or £15 per day.
Now, I have a Z1-6 travelcard as part of this, which I could get rid of and save a bit - but it seems a no brainer for the off-peak usage and other travel around London - yet, I think it shows that a season ticket isn't a massive discount. Every day I don't use it (off sick or whatever) reduces the benefit, which means I should be going to/from London as many times as possible to get the best value for money. I doubt many season ticket holders do this!
Imagine a smartcard system that allows more flexible travel. That would be VITAL for people who could work from home some of the time, as they would currently not be able to benefit from any sort of season - as they'd pay for days they don't need. We talk about PFs for those without tickets, but it seems just as unfair to charge people for not even travelling at all!